Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 141,597 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are currently making plans to move to the Orlando area. I am wondering if someone could talk about some of the downtown living options in Orlando.

We want to find somewhere we can be ourselves. We currently live near, and work in, Ann Arbor. A2 is a very liberal area where pretty much anything goes. From what I've read so far, Orlando (especially the downtown area) seems to have a similar vibe and we shouldn't have to worry about general homophobia.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ay-couple.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...-friendly.html

We chose Orlando specifically because we both work in IT, and supposedly Orlando is experiencing great IT growth right now. In fact there are numerous job postings in the various career finder websites. I also have several technical contacts with a company in Lake Mary, and feel confident I could secure a position with them.

I have also read online (on non-authoritative websites) that Orlando is a great up-and-coming gay friendly city. I have no idea if this is true or not but is attractive.

Gayest Cities in America, 2012

One concern I have is commute between downtown and Lake Mary. I currently commute 45mins each way. How would a rush hour commute compare between downtown Orlando and Lake Mary? I'm hoping more people will be traveling TO the city for work, and my commute OUT of the city will not be bad.

Another concern we had is the crime rate in Orlando. City Data gave Ann Arbor a crime index of 194. We are very accustomed to being able to walk almost the entire downtown area and not have any concern for safety. I see that Orlando's crime index has been sharply falling over the last decade, and our assumption is that if we identify and avoid the 'bad areas' we should not have any problems. Is this generally the consensus?

My partner is in Orlando right now on business and will check out one of the residential towers while there (I think he's visiting the Aspire). Are there any specific recommendations we should check out? We want to rent when we first arrive in Orlando, and after spending time getting to know the area we can look into buying later. I would like to keep rent around $1500, but could go up to $2000 max if needed for a 2 bedroom.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by jeli2657; 02-13-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
With that budget you will be able to rent a really nice 2-bedroom condo downtown. The Aspire is a beautiful building, as is the Vue right next door. They are on the western side of Lake Eola and surrounded by city streets. You are slightly closer to downtown, but a but further from the grocery. It will also be a bit louder there on weekends.

See if there are any units for rent at 101 Eola or the Paramount (check craigslist). This is the Thornton Park area on the southeast side of Lake Eola, and it is just a nicer area for living. I have lived there for 2 years and love it. You are closer to Publix for groceries and you will be surrounded by a charming neighborhood and nice restaurants. Walking to the core downtown area is just a few blocks so it is a nice little buffer. There are also some other condo buildings over there like the Waverly (thinner walls), Sanctuary (more expensive), Star Tower (more expensive).

I can speak to the crime, and it is exactly as you describe. If you are in Thornton Park, crime will be of no concern. I walk my dog between midnight and 1 AM every night and the only thing you will hear are some boisterous party goes here and there.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Crime and social acceptance, although very valid concerns, shouldn't be too high on your priority lists as finding the right place for you. Orlando, downtown in particular is very accepting area. Crime is really confined to certain areas downtown, although keep in mind this is still a major city, crime will be more of an issue here than in placed like Ann Arbor. The commute to Lake Mary will not be bad because you will be going against traffic. Most rush hour commutes takes place in the opposite direction. I think most important for you is finding the best housing option. In your price range you could probably do either a condo or a single family home, both options are plentiful and walking distance of most amenities downtown. It just depends on what your needs are. If you have a dog, a single family home may be more attractive as alot of downtown condos have dog restrictions and fees. Best neighborhoods to look in are Thornton Park, College Park, Ivanhoe village, and Eola Heights. Best of luck.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks Pete C and Crane's Rooster. We are more interested in a downtown condo since living in a residential tower is not an option now. It should be fun

I did look at the Paramount and Vue, although from what I can gather on the Vue's website they do not rent; sale only. I think I would be more comfortable renting with the backing of a management company rather than dealing with a single person.

Once we sell the house here we are going to contact a real estate agent to show us some options over a weekend. I'm trying to build a list of "must sees" to give to the agent for our visit.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
I would only add that I would second Pete's advice to say in Thornton Park. Although the Central Business District is literally right next door, the amenities and proximity in Thornton Park are just better than say living in the Solaire or 55 W.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeli2657 View Post
Thanks Pete C and Crane's Rooster. We are more interested in a downtown condo since living in a residential tower is not an option now. It should be fun

I did look at the Paramount and Vue, although from what I can gather on the Vue's website they do not rent; sale only. I think I would be more comfortable renting with the backing of a management company rather than dealing with a single person.

Once we sell the house here we are going to contact a real estate agent to show us some options over a weekend. I'm trying to build a list of "must sees" to give to the agent for our visit.
If you are only comfortable with managed properties, then Aspire, Paramount, and 55 West are your only options. Forget 55 West unless you want a train horn blaring in your apartment all night. Paramount has the convenience factor and the charm of the immediate surrounding area. One negative on the Paramount is that the walls are thin to adjacent units (you won't hear people above you). Also, it has a waiting list if you want to get in there (my 2 bedroom will be the only one available when we move out in March). I don't know when other units will become available, but I would start checking into it if you have any desire to live there.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
Thorton Park or some places in Winter Park. But that is a bit of a drive to Lake Mary.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks everyone. I still have to sell my house and I want to enjoy one more Michigan summer before leaving. Our current plans are to make the move sometime this Fall, so waiting lists won't be an issue.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeli2657 View Post
Thanks everyone. I still have to sell my house and I want to enjoy one more Michigan summer before leaving. Our current plans are to make the move sometime this Fall, so waiting lists won't be an issue.
Probably a good idea...the summer here is going to be quite a shock for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,672 times
I agree with what everyone has said about where to live and personally recommend Thornton Park.

And while I agree that traffic is definitely worse heading out of the city after work and into the city in the mornings, I-4 tends to back up in both directions. In a couple of years, though, you can take the train

Oh, and... welcome to Orlando!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando