Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family and I are moving to Orlando in 6 weeks. We've done a lot of research (and read many of the posts on this forum - thanks for all the info!) but we are still having a bit of trouble narrowing down where we should actually move to. We were thinking maybe Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, or Winter Springs (but open to other areas).

My husband and I are self-employed so commuting is not an issue. Our primary concern is making sure our daughter is happy in her new school. She's in 9th grade. She's an honors student and she loves theater. Languages are very important to her too. I've checked greatschools and a few other sites but finding a site that factors in arts and languages has been difficult so I was hoping to get some of your opinions.

We will be renting (has to be at least 3 bedrooms). We'd like to stay around $1200 but we can go higher and we have cats. Safety is important too (obviously). Ideally we'd love to rent an apartment or house that is within walking distance of something (shops, libraries, etc) but that's not a necessity.

We're coming down in 2 weeks for an exploratory trip so any suggestions of where we should drive by would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Dr. Phillips in Orange has a great theatre program and is the fine arts magnet.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Thank you boy3365! I hadn't even heard of that school. My daughter just spent the last 20 minutes checking out the school's website and she LOVES it. It's now at the top of her list. Do you know where we would have to live for her to go there (or would it be better to live somewhere else and have her go in through the magnet program)?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 PM

133 posts, read 277,743 times
Dr. Phillips High School Zone Map

https://www.ocps.net/fs/governmental...llips%20HS.pdf

Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
University high school has one of the best theatre programs in the state. It's usually a toss up between dr Phillips and university at competitions.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBSmith View Post
Thank you boy3365! I hadn't even heard of that school. My daughter just spent the last 20 minutes checking out the school's website and she LOVES it. It's now at the top of her list. Do you know where we would have to live for her to go there (or would it be better to live somewhere else and have her go in through the magnet program)?
Dr Phillips would be good for her. You might be able to find a 3BR in the area for $1500 a month

Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Thank you everyone for all of the responses! I never would have found either of these schools on my own (and my daughter loves the looks of both of them). I wish I had just posted here when we first decided to move! We're going to have a lot to look at when we come down. Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Here's another vote for Dr. Phillips. It's an incredible theatre program that offers up a lot of opportunities for the students in it. They go on various trips depending on the year; seniors and juniors are always invited on a week-long trip in the fall to either Boston or New York to look at colleges, and then every four years they do a major trip, usually to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, although last year they also went to Italy. Each year the graduating theater ensemble (usually around 18-30 kids) gets over a million dollars in scholarship offerings, and attend great colleges all over the country. I graduated from the program a few years ago and consider it one of the best choices I've made.

Dr. Phillips also offers a magnet program called The Center for International Studies. Its focus is on cultural awareness and world languages, so there's a variety of languages for DP students to choose from (for ALL students, not just CIS): Spanish, French, German, Latin, Japanese and Portuguese.

If you have any specific questions about the Theater Magnet just DM me, I'd be happy to help.

Edit: In order to be in the theatre program at Dr. Phillips she will have to be accepted into the magnet program, regardless of whether or not you are zoned for Dr. Phillips. Therefore, you have the option of living anywhere in Orange County and she will still be able to attend Dr. Phillips. However I'd recommend trying to live in the school's zone, not only is it a great area but if she chooses/is forced to leave the magnet she can still stay at Dr. Phillips.

Last edited by brinkofsunshine; 09-16-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,516 times
I'd go for Dr. Phillips also... but if you get priced out of that area, look into University High.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
I'm not too well-versed on theatre programs, but when it comes to the performing arts in general, you're good in many of the Orange and Seminole schools. I know the complaint in some districts about "School of the Arts" magnets is that they suck away all of the talent from the other schools, but that is most certainly not the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando