Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM

44 posts, read 79,362 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband is considering a job in Orlando and we are obviously considering the move from Canada.
I have never been to that area of Fl and obviously we will be making a trip down to house hunt but I have been doing a lot of research online of the suburbs- Lake Mary, Windermere, Oveido etc and I am hearing such conflicting opinions I feel like my head is going to explode!
We will be renting for the first year, we have 2 small kiddies (3&1) and I really don't want to be in the city proper. Quite frankly, I am somewhat terrified of the move, I want somewhere safe with great schools and a friendly neighbourhood. Prices aren't a huge issue- we would like to stay between $1000-3000/month for rent.
I have Windermere as a kind of front runner, but that's only from reading online. My husbands office would be quite close (as far as it looks on Google Map lol) and it sounds like a lovely area.
Where I live in Canada it's pretty laid back, I live in a small city with little crime, nice homes, great schools. Kids play without worrying about being abducted, shot or whatever....I want that for my new place.
If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it! Sorry for rambling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Upon further research, hubby's office is close to the Orlando-Orange City Civic Centre..if that helps.....

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,447 times
This might be a bit off topic, but I wouldn't leave Canada.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Um, thanks? I know Canada is an amazing country and all...but still...

Anyone else? :-)

Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
This might be a bit off topic, but I wouldn't leave Canada.
Outside of maybe Vancouver, you couldn't pay me to suffer through those winters

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Yea, the shovelling kind of honks...and the freezing weather...but the summers are beautiful, I will miss the 4 seasons!

But back to my question......

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Windermere sounds perfect for you. It is exactly what you described your Canadian town to be... except much warmer It is a quaint little town/suburb that is far enough away to be secluded and safe, yet close enough to be able to enjoy all that Orlando has to offer. You should also look into Dr. Phillips, which is close to Windermere but has a bit of a different vibe. Both are great areas and I really can't decide which one I prefer.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM

Thanks Brink! I really think that's where we'll end up focusing on when we come down to house hunt! I think Oviedo, Lake Nona, Lake Mary etc would be a little far to commute for my husband. We're not moving down so he can spend his days commuting! If that we're the case we'd move to Ontario!
Is Winter Garden nice too? I was reading up on the Idependence area yesterday...sounded nice. Also, is Summerport a nice neighbourhood? Keenes Point?

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
No problem Most of Winter Garden south of Colonial (SR 50) is fine; the cute, walkable downtown of Winter Garden is north of Colonial but the surrounding area is pretty sketchy. The neighborhoods you listed are all south of Colonial and are good as far as I know; Keene's Point is the nicest/most exclusive of the three. I personally don't prefer the new construction neighborhoods because they plow down all the trees and place the houses right next to each other for the most part, but you can get more for your money. I love the neighborhoods off of Hempel Ave, Main Street/Maguire Rd. and Park Ave in Windermere.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM

Ok thanks! Good to know! I'm not much of a "cookie cutter" person either, but I want a gated community so I am assuming cookie cutting will be what we get. I can't believe we are even considering it...it's so exciting but so scary too. I feel like Fl is SO different from where we live...not just the weather haha...it's going to take some adjustments for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando