Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM

291 posts, read 1,203,907 times

Advertisements

We like a couple of homes to rent in the Kissimmee and Davenport areas. They seem to be in a resort style community where your neighbors would be moving in and out weekly and monthly.

Anyone lived in a community like this ? What do you think...

Thanks!

*Also, and general info on Kissimmee and Davenport would be super ~ I know it's not recommended to live there because of being a tourist area, I don't mind the tourists and traffic...I want to know about real crime and downsides. I would love to hear from people who ACTUALLY live there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Last I heard over 60% of Kissimmee is Hispanic. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a racist, but I don't think it's a good mix when any group is over represented. (My neighborhood is very gentrified with an ethnic mix that's about the same as the overall mix of the US.)

Davenport is having crime and some gang problems. Kissimmee has terrible traffic problems. It's not only the congestion, but it's also the stupid tourists who get lost and then stop dead in the middle of the road in a 55 mph zone to figure out where they are instead of pulling into a parking lot or at least the shoulder of the road.

I absolutely would not want to live in such a transient community. I like knowing my neighbors. It makes it pretty easy to determine who does and doesn't belong in your community, makes it easier to keep crime in check because you look out for each other. We purposely chose a neighborhood that flat out doesn't allow short term rentals, and greatly restricts any type of rentals for this exact reason.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,683 times
Very nicely said annerk.

I have lived in Kissimmee FOREVER and have seen it change a lot over the years especially within the last 4 and not for the good. The biggest thing that I have had to adjust to is the traffic. Rudeness is a problem because people in this town are not patient on the roads because of their LONG commutes. Crime is a problem with teenagers because of the lack of parental subversion due in part to the lower paying jobs which lead to longer hours away from home (and the commuting time taking them away from home as well). The violent crimes committed 99% of the time involve those who are also committing crimes (gangs, drugs etc.). I have been here for decades and have never been a vicim of crime (knock on wood and have never felt unsafe in my neighborhood and enjoy this town and all that it has to offer. Plus, I think things are getting better....traffic is lightening and crime is on a downswing. Every community has its positives and negatives. This town has a lower income ratio than other parts of Central Florida and that can be a good thing for those who can't afford to live elsewhere but it also brings in the negatives.
If you are really interested in Kissimmee here are the zip codes that have the most to offer: 34746 (Pleasant Hill Road - this is where I live), 34747 (Celebration, 4-corners, Formosa area), 34744 (Neptune Road, Remington and Kissimmee Bay).

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. It's good info

I found a place I really like in Davenport ~ any input on that area? Thanks!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
I don't know anything about Davenport, but I would definately not live in Kissimmee. It's a place to vacation, not to live IMHO. I wouldn't want to live where all the craziness is going on. Not that it's bad there, it's just very touristy. I don't have anything against Mexiacans either, but that area is primarily that. Alot of times they can't speak English either. I would keep Kissimmee for my vacation place.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM

126 posts, read 570,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. It's good info

I found a place I really like in Davenport ~ any input on that area? Thanks!

I live in Davenport. I think it depends which community you live in. There are some very nice communities, and some not-so-nice.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:48 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
The problem with renting short term in a resort area is that the rates aren't set. For example: What you may rent for $400 a week this week...may shoot up to $600 a week during a higher season or holiday and this could occur in the middle of your planned time here. Also, if you rent a place, you need to pay up front for the whole time you plan to stay there or it may get booked to someone else. People rent these to make money and whoever has the money first....gets the rental.

Here is a reliable link if you want to check some of the properties out:
Disney Vacation Rentals - Disney Orlando Villas, Family Vacation Home Rentals (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/central-disney-orlando - broken link)

I've spent quite a bit of time kicking around this idea because you can get some beautiful places at a decent weekly rate, but the negatives I ran into are in my first paragraph.

Ditto on the high Hispanic population mentioned in beckycat's post! Do what I did and take a course in Spanish. Then it becomes a learning opportunity instead of an aggravation. Even dealing with any resort/hotel staff around you will be much easier if you just learn some simple Spanish.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
I live in Davenport. I think it depends which community you live in. There are some very nice communities, and some not-so-nice.
Do you know anything about Regal Palms Resort at Highland Reserve? Thanks!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Is this area rural? Do they offer shopping or do you have to go out of town?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM

126 posts, read 570,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Do you know anything about Regal Palms Resort at Highland Reserve? Thanks!
If you mean Highlands Reserve on US27, yes I know that neighborhood, (although I'm not familiar with Regal Palms Resort, is it a subdivision of Highlands Reserve?) my friend lives there, and my husband plays golf there. It's a very nice community, but my friend has put her home on the market as she doesn't like living amongst people who are mostly short-term renters. She says there's no feeling of 'belonging' because people are coming and going all the time, and you never know who your next week's neighbors will be.

But, in my opinion, it's one of the nicer short-term rental communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando