Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 103,481 times

Advertisements

I just got back to Michigan from my vacation home in the Jupiter area.I have been pondering the idea of living down here when I retire. This trip has me second guessing my Idea of living here. Why, I say to myself in such a paradise of great beaches,restaurants,night clubs and virtually something to do every day of the week if you desire. There is one huge thing missing, Friendliness. The rude drivers,the lack of smiles everywhere you go. I don't dare talk to a stranger I feel like I'm bothering them. Maybe its my imagination. does anyone else feel this way?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 AM

98 posts, read 287,328 times
South FL is like this now. It's a mixture of ppl mostly from NY/NJ and foreign countries. Very few Floridians left down there, so a lot of the nice, friendliness (especially when on the roads) is missing from S FL.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 33,317 times
Ok, first of all I'm originally from NY and NJ and I find it unfriendly here from the natives. I am very polite and I smile and I try to help whoever I can whenever I can. I have not found the same from the natives. I used to work in Astatula in Lake county and I found that they went out of their way to make fun of northerners, especially when I was in the room. I have not done that to them as I was raised (yes, in NY) to have manners. I am not saying NY/NJ is superior; both have their own problems. I'm just relating my experience and difficulties since moving here. I've been here 18 months and I am planning on relocating. The crime, the traffic, the poor manners, the unrelenting humidity, the low salaries/high cost of living are all reasons I will not be staying. If you want to know why I am here, it is because my sister (and her family) and my uncle (and his family) are here. But they came over 15 years ago and apparently it was quite different then.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 AM

S FL used to be much different. The "unfriendliness" you are refering to is most likely from your former neighbors... there arent many natives left down there to blame. Sorry.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 33,317 times
sorry to disagree, but the people I worked with were native born and they were the worst and they were most definitely not my "former neighbors." If I did meet people from other states (not just the north but all over), they were generally very nice. As you said, it used to be much different, so apparently you have found what I found. I stated the same thing in my post, that it was apparently much different when my sister and uncle moved down here 15 plus years ago with their families. I have to say that one of the friendliest places I ever went to was Atlanta. It's become a big melting pot and both the native born and the relocators were warm and welcoming. I was considering moving there but the drought they are experiencing has me having second thoughts.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM

169 posts, read 655,840 times
Heat and humidity puts everyone in a lousy mood!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Add in not being able to afford a decent home, and sitting in traffic everywhere you go.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbox View Post
I just got back to Michigan from my vacation home in the Jupiter area.I have been pondering the idea of living down here when I retire. This trip has me second guessing my Idea of living here. Why, I say to myself in such a paradise of great beaches,restaurants,night clubs and virtually something to do every day of the week if you desire. There is one huge thing missing, Friendliness. The rude drivers,the lack of smiles everywhere you go. I don't dare talk to a stranger I feel like I'm bothering them. Maybe its my imagination. does anyone else feel this way?
Have you ever checked out the St. Pete/Tampa area? People in that area seem quite open and friendly.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
a lot of areas of florida have nice friendly people. i am in the vero beach area of florida and i think that people are mostly friendly here, and i am sure a lot of people in other areas would say the same. (though our town sign does say friendly people and 6 old grouches).

Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Yes, FL has changed a lot, especially S FL, LizS, this we agree on. But if it was better 15 yrs ago than it is now, it certainly isnt the blame of the natives. And, I could certainly see how some natives might be discouraged and unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando