Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 24,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
My SIL works with special needs children. I've sent her an e-mail to see what she says.

I'll let you know as soon as she gets back to me.

I am wondering if you can provide me w/ any info... I too have a child w/ downs syndrome, he is 7 yrs old, we currently live in Spring Hill Florida and it has nothing to offer children with special needs, more of an older community. I just want what is best for him and willing to move anywhere in Florida to find it.

He did get approved for the McKay scholarship where they pay a certain amount for private school and that took a year of being in public school. But, not knowing much about Florida I don't even know the best private or special schools around for him?

We don't have a lot, live on child support and welfare.... I would really need to get into a low income housing which scares me to death, just for crime and lower type of living arrangements. The most rent out of pocket I could afford would be around $500 a month.

Currently there are no Section 8 opportunities in our community but I don't know how that is in other counties? Would love any information or persons you know that could help me w/ the questions i have to give my son's a better life. Thank you so very much for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,368 times
Kepi - McKay has a list of private schools that accept the McKay Scholarship. I did a search for you and here is the link that hopefully will take you to that list. If it fails, just go to Welcome to McKayScholarship.com and at the home page in the middle of the page you'll see how you can select your county and the list of approved schools will come up. I think Spring Hill is in Pasco County, so this list is for Pasco. It appears there's only three, but you can also contact McKay and see if there are other schools.

Welcome to McKayScholarship.com

Here's a link too for Section 8 housing in Pasco County. The rent is based on your income I believe.

Housing - Pasco County Housing Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepi71 View Post
I am wondering if you can provide me w/ any info... I too have a child w/ downs syndrome, he is 7 yrs old, we currently live in Spring Hill Florida and it has nothing to offer children with special needs, more of an older community. I just want what is best for him and willing to move anywhere in Florida to find it.

He did get approved for the McKay scholarship where they pay a certain amount for private school and that took a year of being in public school. But, not knowing much about Florida I don't even know the best private or special schools around for him?

We don't have a lot, live on child support and welfare.... I would really need to get into a low income housing which scares me to death, just for crime and lower type of living arrangements. The most rent out of pocket I could afford would be around $500 a month.

Currently there are no Section 8 opportunities in our community but I don't know how that is in other counties? Would love any information or persons you know that could help me w/ the questions i have to give my son's a better life. Thank you so very much for any help you can provide.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
I am planing to move to florida. I hava a son that has Dyslexia/ADHD . What City or town has the best public schools or pprograms, rescources or services for kids that have a learning disability in florida ?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
UCP of Central Florida operates 7 inclusive charter schools in the central Florida area - tuition free public schools. The schools serve students with and without disabilities birth through a College Transition Program. For more information - [URL="http://www.ucpcfl.org"]www.ucpcfl.org[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando