Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:33 PM

215 posts, read 279,623 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the many tips and suggestions!!!! I have done this drive only once- in reverse- when I was trapped at WDW as a result of 9/11 airport closures. We did it with 5 adults, 1 child and (I kid you not) a map of Cracker Barrels ("Where are we?" "Apparently, one exit from Cracker Barrell #37!") We drove straight through with no traffic and it was in fact a Saturday. I am thinking the Saturday to Sunday drive is a good idea. I will check out the hotels- and we are not opposed to a quick stop for food and bathroom and jumping back in the car until it is time to stop for the night.

My dog hates the car. I am dreading this drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:30 AM

215 posts, read 279,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post

If you don't have an EZ Pass, you might want to think about one as a "just in case" you need to take the I-95 Express Toll lanes in Maryland or you are at the right time to take them in Northern VA (open NB in the morning and SB in the evening).
We do have EZ Pass- how far down do they work?I knew PA/NJ/NY but haven't used it elsewhere. Thanks for mentioning, I was going to return the transponders for both cars before we move- now I will wait until we arrive.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:22 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
We do have EZ Pass- how far down do they work?I knew PA/NJ/NY but haven't used it elsewhere. Thanks for mentioning, I was going to return the transponders for both cars before we move- now I will wait until we arrive.
If you're staying on 95, I don't think you'll see anything for them farther south than Virginia. I actually keep my EZ Pass for traveling through the NE. (I turned in my Maryland one for a Delaware one to avoid the non-use fees.) Once you get down here, you'll want a Sunpass as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 PM

110 posts, read 140,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
Thank you for the many tips and suggestions!!!! I have done this drive only once- in reverse- when I was trapped at WDW as a result of 9/11 airport closures. We did it with 5 adults, 1 child and (I kid you not) a map of Cracker Barrels ("Where are we?" "Apparently, one exit from Cracker Barrell #37!") We drove straight through with no traffic and it was in fact a Saturday. I am thinking the Saturday to Sunday drive is a good idea. I will check out the hotels- and we are not opposed to a quick stop for food and bathroom and jumping back in the car until it is time to stop for the night.

My dog hates the car. I am dreading this drive.
If your vet gives you the okay, consider administering some Benadryl for your pooch during the trip. It will make the trip much more relaxing and enjoyable for you all. Safe travels to you.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM

Another thing that most people don't do, but is technically required if you are carrying a pet over state lines, is to get a health certificate (certificate of veterinary inspection) in addition to a shot record for your pet. We had to get ours no more than 10 days before leaving and had to have a medical exam at the vet.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
If your vet gives you the okay, consider administering some Benadryl for your pooch during the trip. It will make the trip much more relaxing and enjoyable for you all. Safe travels to you.
Why would you do that? Many dogs enjoy riding in the car and will be asleep on their own within a few minutes. I would never drug my dog, you never know what the side effects would be. Then you are in a strange area hours from home frantic while your pet is having a seizure or vomiting.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Another thing that most people don't do, but is technically required if you are carrying a pet over state lines, is to get a health certificate (certificate of veterinary inspection) in addition to a shot record for your pet. We had to get ours no more than 10 days before leaving and had to have a medical exam at the vet.
Only if you are flying. For driving there is no requirement except dogs/cats/ferrets must have a valid rabies certificate.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 AM

110 posts, read 140,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why would you do that? Many dogs enjoy riding in the car and will be asleep on their own within a few minutes. I would never drug my dog, you never know what the side effects would be. Then you are in a strange area hours from home frantic while your pet is having a seizure or vomiting.
Because she specifically said that her dog hates the car. It's apparent that reading comprehension isn't something at which you are skilled.

I've drugged my dog several times during thunderstorms on advice of my vet. He's happier. I'm happier. It's better for everyone involved. I certainly wouldn't allow an adult companion to suffer anxiety for flying or other stressful situations. Why would you allow your beloved pet suffer? You should be ashamed of yourself if that's the case.

I realize that your worldview may be limited since you live in Lake County, Florida but there are opinions other than your own that matter. You're not the expert you claim to be on every single subject.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
Because she specifically said that her dog hates the car. It's apparent that reading comprehension isn't something at which you are skilled.

I've drugged my dog several times during thunderstorms on advice of my vet. He's happier. I'm happier. It's better for everyone involved. I certainly wouldn't allow an adult companion to suffer anxiety for flying or other stressful situations. Why would you allow your beloved pet suffer? You should be ashamed of yourself if that's the case.

I realize that your worldview may be limited since you live in Lake County, Florida but there are opinions other than your own that matter. You're not the expert you claim to be on every single subject.
There are drugs which will calm a dog which are MUCH safer than Benadryl. One of my dogs was abused before he came to me, and he is on a daily anti-anxiety medication. Any vet worth a grain of salt will recommend anti-anxiety medications, and they will NOT be Benadryl. There are several non-pharmacuetical remedies that most vets want to try first including Thunder Vests and Rescue Remedy.

I live in lake County, but have also lived in NYC and three other states. I'm hardly insular.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Only if you are flying. For driving there is no requirement except dogs/cats/ferrets must have a valid rabies certificate.
That's what I had originally thought, but apparently each state has their own requirements about what you need to legally transport an animal through that state. I did some research before I arrived in Florida, and it was a good thing.

Maryland requires the CVI. Virginia does not as long as you have control of your animal at all times and are staying less than 10 days. North Carolina and South Carolina require the CVI. Georgia does not, unless you are selling an animal brought into the state.

But here's Florida's, which would be the most important one to note:
5C-3.009 Dogs or Cats.
(1) Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (OCVI) Required. All dogs or cats imported into Florida, except dogs or cats imported for exhibition purposes only and that will remain in the state less than six (6) months and any service animal or working dog, must be accompanied by an OCVI stating that they are:
(a) Free from signs of any infectious or communicable disease;
(b) Did not originate within an area under quarantine for rabies; and
(c) Not known to have a history of exposure to a rabies-infected animal prior to importation.
(2) Dogs or Cats for Sale Requirements for Importation.
(a) Each dog or cat imported into Florida must:
1. Be accompanied by an OCVI, and
2. Meet the minimum standards for vaccinations, tests, and anthelmintic treatments, and be eight (8) weeks of age or older as specified in Section 828.29, F.S.
(b) Evidence of Compliance with Section 828.29, F.S., shall accompany the owner or agent having jurisdiction of such dogs or cats imported into Florida or to which ownership is being transferred.
(3) Rabies Vaccination. Dogs or cats, including exhibition dogs or cats or service animals and working dogs, three (3) months of age and older transported into Florida must have a current rabies vaccination.
(4) Prior Permission Number. Dogs or cats originating from areas under quarantine for rabies must have a prior permission number from the Division as provided in subsection 5C-3.002(3), F.A.C. The prior permission number must be written on the OCVI.

When we moved to Florida, we boarded our cat for a couple days immediately after arrival until the movers got here with our furniture. We were required to show a rabies certificate as well as a CVI before we could board our pet, or we would have had to go to a vet in the state that day to get a CVI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando