Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:18 PM

142 posts, read 272,296 times

Advertisements

The most racist places in America, according to Google - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
It's not a huge surprise if one has any kind of connection to the overall area. One must remember what the area was like 25-30 years ago in terms of residents (most of whom still live here) and the type of transplants that arrived here from places like South Florida due to intolerance of living with minorities, otherwise known as the "everyone speaks Spanish in South Florida" crowd.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Well, considering Sumter, Polk, Volusia, and Northern Lake (Paisley, Cassia, Pine Lakes, Altoona) are part of CFL, I don't find this particularly shocking.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, considering Sumter, Polk, Volusia, and Northern Lake (Paisley, Cassia, Pine Lakes, Altoona) are part of CFL, I don't find this particularly shocking.
Sadly it's not just exclusive to those areas as I see it quite a bit in Lake Mary/Sanford too.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
I grew up in Atlamonte Springs and have lived in South Orlando, Downtown and Conway. I am non-white and have never really experienced much racism here. Not to say I haven't seen it, but it so rare I can't really recall many instances. Maybe that's just my experience.

That's not to say racist don't exists in Central Florida and there are no racist areas. Growing up here in the 90's places like Deland, Sanford, Bithlo even Oviedo to point, had bad reputations. The same was said for poor black neighborhoods such as Pine Hills, Parramore, Eatonville and S. OBT. Now that I"m older I just know to treat people fairly and try not to assume too much.

Although my personal experiences have not been much with race I will say I have seen classism in CFL. I've seen poor white people go into rich white neighborhoods and appear to get treated differently. Just my experiences.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Worth mentioning that a good part of isn't overt in my experience, but shared with those that are deemed comfortable to discuss it with. I have had countless number of situations where disparaging racial remarks were shared with me as if I would agree somehow, and of course being non-white such individuals aren't going to be sharing it with you. My point being just because it's not flagrant, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
Ohh I know it exists, particularly behind closed doors. I've known this my whole life just about anywhere I've been.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Ohh I know it exists, particularly behind closed doors. I've known this my whole life just about anywhere I've been.
Yeah, well me too being a gay male...however it goes beyond the "behind closed doors" here with racial rhetoric thrown into conversation with virtual strangers. I mean at least with the haters/homophobes they typically don't engage in that kind of conversation unless with someone they know. I'm referring to the lack of filter with racial innuendo around strangers here which seems to be reflective of the findings in this study in regard to much of Central Florida.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM

110 posts, read 140,992 times
Not surprising at all considering an entire Pulitzer Prize winning book was written about the horrific murder of blacks in Groveland.

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Grove-Th.../dp/0061792268

Sorry Crane's Rooster, I disagree. Racism and bigotry aren't the same everywhere. It was and continues to be particularly awful in the south.

Aesthetically Central Florida is better but the attitudes are still bigoted, most unfortunately. Central Florida needs less religious and more highly educated people in order for this to change.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,006 times
Really you have history of trying to portray Central Florida as racist place which is really funny that you go find an article to fit that notion. I'm sorry you no value to add to this forum but things like this as I remember you posting something like this earlier. Secondly you cant judge a place how many times the "N" word is thrown around as that is not scientific at as the word gotten used across "race boundaries". With all that said yes racists people do live here and no I don't wear rose colored glasses. Seriously California is all the way blue and the Baltimore area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando