Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:31 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times

Advertisements

A lot of people on here said how great it will be and it will make money. I said from the start it would lose money like every other rail system it is now time to close it down and cut your losses like any bad investment.

SunRail finishes first year $27.2 million in the red - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Yeah i remember all the cheerleaders telling us how it would be a major success.
I never doubted for a moment that enough people would give up their cars to make this a successful venture,it was a total waste of money and doomed to failure from the get go.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yeah i remember all the cheerleaders telling us how it would be a major success.
I never doubted for a moment that enough people would give up their cars to make this a successful venture,it was a total waste of money and doomed to failure from the get go.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
That's under 20% farebox recovery. We now have a point to compare it with.

Make's it worse than TriRail.

Slightly better than some of the newest Metros put in across the Southern US.
I believe the moral of the story may be that cities not designed for transit are not best suited to have it.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Really ? I'm tired of people wishing the downfall the US cities with dislike of anything Urban but yet we don't here you complaining about the billions of dollars of wasted road construction to nowhere.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I dont believe any toll roads make money either. Since when was the govt in the business of making a profit on public transit.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 AM

298 posts, read 299,478 times
When gas prices go up to $4, $5, $6, $7, or $8/gal like most of the world pays, the rail cars will be booming.

$2.50/gal is dirt cheap and the economy is doing great so this is not the time to judge alternative transportation systems.

Even if SunRail only loses a little, at least Orlando will now have a CHANCE at meeting the demands of predicted population growth.

The state needs more rail and they need it 20 years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I got no problem with ventures like Sunrail but you have to have a substantial public transit system in place before a Sunrail system becomes feasible, In this case having to drive your car to a station then having to deal with a dubious or non existant public transit system at the end of the train ride then doing the same thing after work just wasnt an attractive option for enough commuters to dump their cars in favor of this commuter line.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I got no problem with ventures like Sunrail but you have to have a substantial public transit system in place before a Sunrail system becomes feasible, In this case having to drive your car to a station then having to deal with a dubious or non existant public transit system at the end of the train ride then doing the same thing after work just wasnt an attractive option for enough commuters to dump their cars in favor of this commuter line.
Exactly...and why a system like Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) while not as glamorous as rail, is best suited for areas without concentric development like Orlando where the economic centers are scattered everywhere. It allows for expansion and to make adjustments where necessary versus millions on the current model that isn't useful for 90% of the population plus doesn't run nights and weekends...what a joke.

About the HealthLine | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 05-12-2015, 04:57 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
When gas prices go up to $4, $5, $6, $7, or $8/gal like most of the world pays, the rail cars will be booming.

$2.50/gal is dirt cheap and the economy is doing great so this is not the time to judge alternative transportation systems.

Even if SunRail only loses a little, at least Orlando will now have a CHANCE at meeting the demands of predicted population growth.

The state needs more rail and they need it 20 years ago.
At this point and time we cannot completely dismiss a world where Electric (and especially Solar) energy may fuel more and more cars actually bringing gas efficiency to a better place.

Even then, if gas DID shoot up to $6 a gallon- SunRail's rise would be limited, as the places it goes are very limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando