Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 PM

457 posts, read 627,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What you want to do about the Bears??? Oh coyotes ? Snakes. Cuban frogs? Sharks sea lice. Sting ray!! Got me once. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuu
If they become a problem, kill them. I do not know what a Cuban frog is. I do not know what ouuu means.

Killing the delay animals is the sensible thing to do.

I think they'll change that law about letting the gators get big before killing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Alligators are a fact of life in Florida.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I really wish people would just think things through a bit and use some common sense. It's the same reaction from some to when people here in Central Florida were attacked by black bears that pre-existed prior to the new homes built in their domain. Florida's native habitat includes all kinds of dangerous animals which beyond alligators include snakes and even panthers. Why is the expectation different here versus if one were vacationing at a resort out West in the Rockies for example? I don't recall seeing signage in outside lounging areas there telling people to beware of varying predatory threats, so why here??
People like yourself are not applying common sense. The hotel was aware of the risk of alligators. If you are aware of alligators that could possibly pose a risk to your guests, why would you not post signs and barricades to protect them, especially when your own custodian warns of alligators and recommends fencing.

Thus far, your counterarguments are the resort shouldn't have to post signs because that information is intuitive. My response to that is simple. Not everyrone has the same level of intelligence nor perceives information the same way so it is better to err on the side of caution by providing as much information as possible so people can make an informed decision. This is particularly true when more than half of your guests are from outside of Florida.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:21 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,424,256 times
"No swimming" could be interpreted as oh, they just don't want us to go out more than a couple of feet from shore.

I still can't blame the parents!

People do need to have more respect and proper fear (don't know what other word to use) if wildlife.

If that doesn't happen, we'll start killing animals that aren't even a problem just to protect people from their own stupidity.

We've become pretty good at that.

If I'm hiking and get into a situation with a gator, snake, bear etc it's because I was in their home, invading their space. I know it; there are warnings posted. I accept the risk and hope I am never in a situation where I have to defend myself from a critter who is simply defending his territory.

Sometimes I think humans won't be happy until we kill off everything, even when the fault for the "problem" is ours.

Then all we'll have left to kill off is eachother.
Man, the top of the food chain, the uber-species.

That being said, there should have been gator warning signs here. That was Disney's stupidity.

Should there be a gator warning sign at every ditch in Central Florida? Of course not. I'm not sure the average tourist is going to truck down Guerrant St or Babb's Rd to roam around the little lake over there. At tourist attractions it should definitely be posted.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-17-2016 at 04:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 04:58 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,227,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichilover78 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, I couldn't tell you about alligators' legal rights.

Speaking of rights, has anyone ever informed you that you have the right to remain silent? It seems that would be next to impossible for you
Priceless.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They visit. They don't live, thrive and multiply in pools. They'd die within a week.
I agree. If they want beaches, drain the ****, regulate temps and chlorinize it. Otherwise, do away with these beaches.
My point is that turning it into a giant pool wouldn't guarantee it be gator-free.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Orlando is not close to a real Gulf or Ocean beach. If a family is coming to Orlando for a Disney vacation, they may not get to a beach, so Disney decided to create a tropical beach for them right there?

I still say it was Disney's obligation to warn visitors of the possibility of gators in these man make lagoons. Gators are all over Florida.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Why have anything outdoors at Disney because there is lightning that can kill you.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 AM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
Disney has an army of people that think of every possible scenario. Obviously this was not thought of or maybe they didn't want alligator beware signs on the beach for fear of frightening guests. This will most likely be settled quietly with a non disclosure. As far a the future I am sure they are hard at work figuring out the next move. An underwater fence would be a good idea and not visible, keeps gators out and people safe.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My point is that turning it into a giant pool wouldn't guarantee it be gator-free.
Oh I agree. However, alligators like to hide. A maintained pool will have clear water, chlorine, very little food source... An alligator may stumble upon it and sit in it for an hour or two, but it sure won't LIVE in it.
If they want artificial beaches, they need to do something about the water. No kid should be allowed anywhere NEAR that water. I can't imagine allowing my small children that close to, say, Lake Jesup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando