Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you in advance for all your help! My husband and I are looking at relocating to Florida in the summer (inbetween school years). My husband is a teacher and I am currently a SAHM (stay-at-home mom). However, all of our kids are in school now, so I might substitute teach just to get out of the house some. We're trying to find the best area to live for our family. Obviously I know everyone has different things they are looking for and like/dislike about areas, but I dont' even know where to start! We've been to Florida on vacations, but never really looked into areas for actually living. Our most recent trip we rented a house in Davenport, FL and loved it. But, we did realize that MANY of the houses were rentals and not sure that is the BEST thing for living in a community. What are your opinions of higher "rental" property areas? So, our criteria for an area...

Good family area (low crime, low sex offenders, other families in area as opposed to more singles or retired or elderly)
Good schools (doesn't have to be an A school, but good...)
Relatively close to grocery stores, etc. (preferably a decent mall within 20 min.)
Lower traffic (but I realize that is going to be subject to where we are working - which we don't have yet.)

Qualifications for price range and the house itself:
3, preferably 4 bedrooms
2+ baths
swimming pool
preferably 1800+ sq. ft.
doesn't need much work (not a fixer upper)
Price Range: It's more of a payment range probably than a price range... But, we'll have to probably stick to under 200K (preferably under 175K, actually) to get the monthly payment we can afford.

So, is this going to be impossible? Or are there areas in/around Orlando that would meet all those qualifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
Default Hi there

There are a number of areas which you may want to consider. I live in Orange County and we lovev Winter Garden. The prices you are looking at to be honest are on the low side, and to gat a decent 3 bed 2 and a half townhome with 1500 sq ft in my area will set you bat around $180,000. You would be lucky to find a house with a pool for that price. Another nice area is Lake Nona, but once again prices for what your looking for a higher than your range. For the sort of prices you are looking for you would really be limiting yourself to Davenport/ Kissimmee, and as i have said on numerous occassions, those properties are mostly owned by investers wo neighbours change, tourists tend to be noisy and with the neighbours constantly changing on a weekly basis, for me that poses a security risk. Im curious have you actually spoken to a mortgage broker so you can find out exactly what you can afford. I work with a great mortgage broker and i usually find that people areeither on 2 sides. Either they think they can qualify for a great loan when in all actuality then cant qualify for anythig, or they think they can only qualify for a certain amount, when they could qualify for higher and still meet the same payment or there abouts. I would highly recommend getting pre qualified forst so you know exactly where you stand and can then start your search in earnest then.

Good luck

Old 03-01-2008, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 23,269 times
i agree with the earlier post, you'll have a hard time finding the house you described for under 200,000. you'll have to consider at least 250,000 -300,000. areas to consider looking in: oviedo and winter springs in seminole county. st. cloud in osceola. conway area in orange county.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
You might try looking into Brevard County,about an hour to Orlando, close to beaches, Kennedy Space center. Traffic isn't too bad, we came here from So Fl where the traffic was awful. You can probably get housing in your price range, try looking at our newspaper-Florida Today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando