Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Merc View Post
The starting pay is $12/hr, which is peanuts back home in NY but out here seems pretty consistent with the industry.
Wow. That's actually quite a bit higher for DRC than when I worked for Disney. Glad to hear they raised it a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How often can people making $9 an hour take their families to a theme park. I would think working in a call center would be like the equivalent of the "sweat shops" of 100 years ago.

Years ago I knew someone who worked for United Airlines in a call center.
You would think wow they can fly anywhere in the world for almost nothing, how wonderful.

But when they're paid next to nothing they don't have the money to travel to stay in hotels, car rentals, spending money etc.

That kind of job might be ok for someone who took early retirement and really doesn't need the money.

JMO, sitting in a call center having your calls monitored and dealing with the general public nowadays for low wages, I think I would rather wait on tables
If your theme park tickets are free and you can pack your own lunches...why wouldn't you take your kids there all the time? What is the added expense there? ZERO.....

And apparently you missed this person's consistent bonuses...a hard worker this one. Something most people today don't really care too much about.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,522 times
Default 12 p hr for now

Well welcome your wife to DRC. I have been here about 3 years. Yes do my job fantastic. Get the perks and bonuses. Let me tell you the expectant life of an agent is about 1 year. It is high stress as well as turning into micro-managenet. Yep it is starting to appear like an early turn of century sweat shop. I too loved my job always top performer. Until they bring in new recruits ( academy) lol. Then start to worry. Its get alot tougher to make it.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,234 times
Default Un-uh - not from the way they treated me before I even for the job!

I applied for a Sales Representative in the DRC - Tampa just last week (5/2010). During the interview I told them of my previous experience, including two years of call-center experience; they told me the managers "get on" people for not meeting all the metrics. In fact, I could excel in quality but not be "good enough" in speed...That felt just a little oppressive, but nothing terrible. When I didn't feel peace about working for $8.70/hour w/bonus bringing me up to $11.70/hour, I called to cancel my second interview, thus sealing my intuition about what I had felt. The woman answered me with a very "Disney" voice, as they call the "Disney look" and was rather curt and rude in her response when I did not desire to reschedule my interview.
I am okay with working within metrics, even perhaps making a pittance of a salary, but being treated with disrespect, even if done so condedscendingly so she didn't think I "got it" as she was smiling at me with her voice...it just lead to a very bad "Disney" experience and I do not desire to ever work there. I heard stress, high pressure, low wages, odd hours and even though it's possible to transfer out after six months (assuming they like you and you are meeting all your metrics)... there's not too many other jobs paying much more than the $8.70/hour unless you want to drive a bus! It wasn't for me and I'd be cautious of working there unless you really, truly don't care about the low pay and the power trips of those with more seniority. As others have mentioned, Publix grocery store has a good reputation, and waitressing bring in added tips. No need to feel badly about yourself when turnover is so high and they are rude to their employees. Tread carefully before saying "yes" to Disney!

Last edited by pursueliving; 05-29-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: added more content about alternative employment

Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursueliving View Post
I applied for a Sales Representative in the DRC - Tampa just last week (5/2010). During the interview I told them of my previous experience, including two years of call-center experience; they told me the managers "get on" people for not meeting all the metrics. In fact, I could excel in quality but not be "good enough" in speed...That felt just a little oppressive, but nothing terrible. When I didn't feel peace about working for $8.70/hour w/bonus bringing me up to $11.70/hour, I called to cancel my second interview, thus sealing my intuition about what I had felt. The woman answered me with a very "Disney" voice, as they call the "Disney look" and was rather curt and rude in her response when I did not desire to reschedule my interview.
I am okay with working within metrics, even perhaps making a pittance of a salary, but being treated with disrespect, even if done so condedscendingly so she didn't think I "got it" as she was smiling at me with her voice...it just lead to a very bad "Disney" experience and I do not desire to ever work there. I heard stress, high pressure, low wages, odd hours and even though it's possible to transfer out after six months (assuming they like you and you are meeting all your metrics)... there's not too many other jobs paying much more than the $8.70/hour unless you want to drive a bus! It wasn't for me and I'd be cautious of working there unless you really, truly don't care about the low pay and the power trips of those with more seniority. As others have mentioned, Publix grocery store has a good reputation, and waitressing bring in added tips. No need to feel badly about yourself when turnover is so high and they are rude to their employees. Tread carefully before saying "yes" to Disney!
I work at WDW and I've worked with a fair number of people who transferred out of the call center. We make a little more to start at the hotel front desk but of course we don't get bonuses. Other jobs at Disney mostly make less. But whether it paid more or less than DRC, the person was always glad to get out. Not that some of them didn't like it, but because of the stress when they were ready to go, they were really ready to go.

-Harry

Last edited by hgebel; 06-02-2010 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: add bold to italics, read -> ready

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM

385 posts, read 1,403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursueliving View Post
I work at WDW and I've worked with a fair number of people who transferred out of the call center. We make a little more to start at the hotel front desk but of course we don't get bonuses. Other jobs at Disney mostly make less. But whether it paid more or less than DRC, the person was always glad to get out. Not that some of them didn't like it, but because of the stress when they were ready to go, they were really ready to go. I usually recommend people give Disney a try if they can afford to work there, but unless they've worked in a high-pressure sales environment before and like it, I don't recommend DRC.

-Harry

Last edited by hgebel; 06-02-2010 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: add bold to italics, read -> ready, add last sentence

Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,985 times
I work at the Disney Reservation Center in Tampa and have worked there for almost 11 years. As with any job, especially a call center, there are going to be likes and dislikes. The benefits that are offered to Disney employees are great. The medical insurance is low priced and the free admissions into the theme parks is a definate plus especially when you have children. If you are a good sales person, you can make great money. I have been a top performer when I was in a sales role and the money was real good. I was able to support myself and my 3 children without a problem. As with any call center, turn over is high. Your calls are monitored every month and you do have to meet certain criteria to make your revenue every month, however, it isn't that difficult. The ones that have nothing but negative to say, are obvious the ones that failed at their jobs. The Disney Reservation Center isn't the best paying when it comes to your hourly pay before incentive, however, if you take into account the free admission you will receive into the parks for you, spouse and children, the discounts you receive on merchandise, resort stays and everything else on the WDW property, the pay is adequate. I hope this helps in making your decision on whether to join the WDW family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.armor View Post
Hi All!

First-time poster here. I just found this forum last week! There's so much here! Wow! Although, a lot of the posts come across as very negative, I'm going to see what happens here.

I am thinking about taking a job at the Walt Disney World Call Center in Orlando. I am married with two small children.

I would prefer to only hear responses from either 1)those that know first-hand because they actually work there, or 2)those who are very close to someone who works there.

My question: Can a Reservations Sales Agent make enough money to support a family in Orlando/Orlando outskirts (Auburndale looks nice)? If so, how easy is it if you have strong sales experience and abilities? What percentage of the agents there are making the "big bucks?"

I keep hearing that you can do really well at this job (doubling your base wage or more after commissions). How true is this?

I'll take as much info as you can give. Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM

21 posts, read 45,129 times
can anyone tell me if the night shift, 4-11pm is permanent or is that just for newbies and then you can get a day shift later?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I've had two friends who worked at the call center. One was an absolute driven work-a-holic who had years of experience in call centers. She was also very "pro-Disney" as her husband also works there. That was before the experience at this call center.
I would agree with the other posters to walk don't run from Disney. There are so many other jobs out there that you can find that are much better in every way than this one. Even getting to Disney is not convenient and takes your gas and time. Trust me it is not worth it. Look somewhere else.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 18,474 times
I have also been offered a job as a reservation sales agent in Orlando and am to start in 2 weeks. I was wondering if you (the original post) had taken the job and what do you think of it. I know it has been quite some time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando