Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 03:31 PM

44 posts, read 68,762 times

Advertisements

With the recent law passed what would happen to Orlando's economy if Disney left?

Old 04-22-2022, 04:27 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
Disney's not leaving. For one thing, they're not about to walk away from the millions and millions of dollars' worth of property they've created. For another, Disney could end up in an even better financial position if Reedy Creek is dissolved. You haven't heard any howls of protest from them following the legislature's/DeSantis' actions, have you?

Anyway, the dissolution of Reedy Creek isn't supposed to take place until sometime in 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing just quietly goes away before then.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:02 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Disney's not leaving. For one thing, they're not about to walk away from the millions and millions of dollars' worth of property they've created. For another, Disney could end up in an even better financial position if Reedy Creek is dissolved. You haven't heard any howls of protest from them following the legislature's/DeSantis' actions, have you?

Anyway, the dissolution of Reedy Creek isn't supposed to take place until sometime in 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing just quietly goes away before then.
Yep, there’s no way they can argue that’s in the shareholders best interest… I actually tried to see what their assets are worth and I read for property tax purposes they were valued around $1.8b in 2020 and that’s just the Orlando parks.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:06 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,786,547 times
Disney is happy about this lol.. Ron DeSantis is such a moron he doesn't realize that they will come out of this saving money...

Also, you can't sign bills penalizing a company because it no longer donates to you.. it's illegal.

The two counties right around there will be paying 20% higher taxes in 2023.. I'm sure they will be happy about that. .

Old 04-22-2022, 09:18 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yep, there’s no way they can argue that’s in the shareholders best interest… I actually tried to see what their assets are worth and I read for property tax purposes they were valued around $1.8b in 2020 and that’s just the Orlando parks.

That's it? With the huge size of their properties there I thought it would be more like 12 billion.

Is this just "valued" though and not the actual real worth of it? I mean, like a house valued for tax purposes is a lot lower than what it's actually worth when you sell it.

Even though it wouldn't happen but just imagine if Disney did move and the property was sold and used for HOUSING. Just imagine the population explosion

Old 04-22-2022, 09:23 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's it? With the huge size of their properties there I thought it would be more like 12 billion.

Is this just "valued" though and not the actual real worth of it? I mean, like a house valued for tax purposes is a lot lower than what it's actually worth when you sell it.

Even though it wouldn't happen but just imagine if Disney did move and the property was sold and used for HOUSING. Just imagine the population explosion
I believe that was just the property tax “value” on the theme parks and not the real market value. I don’t think it included the hotels, Disney Springs, etc. I agree it’s probably very conservative.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:06 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
They’ve spent billions on what they’ve built here. They’re not going to leave.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:09 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Why would they leave? Their most popular parks in the world. It’s not like they are allowed to self-govern themselves at their other locations. The assessed value will be astronomically higher now, so this is a jab to the corporation and not local tax payers. If you truly believe the lies from the liberal media that this will be a massive money saver for Disney, take out a second mortgage on your house and put it all in Disney stock (DIS). The media is making this a much bigger deal than it is because they are scared of DeSantis winning the presidency.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:30 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
They’ve spent billions on what they’ve built here. They’re not going to leave.

Money wise they just can't afford to get up and leave and build a new park. That would take years and years of planning anyway.

A lot of people native to the Orlando region don't like the "Giant Rat" as they call it because it caused the population explosion and changed everything. In the 1950s they were actually going to consider the Branson, MO area for their second park. So glad they didn't Would ruin the Ozarks and even the political landscape for that region (more libs.)

Old 04-23-2022, 11:50 AM

33 posts, read 21,427 times
DeSantis has got them where the State should have, decades ago! FL gave the farm away in 1968. All of these districts will be dissolved, not just Disney.

Disney, if smart, should stick to entertainment and not mis-quote and twist the law that was passed.

The problem is that morons neither read the law. Red the damn thing, and hopefully people can use their heads and comprehend. The majority of reasonable natives and residents of FL were/are in complete agreement with the law.

Disney should have known that they do not have hegemony over FL's voting citizens.

Time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando