Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:11 AM

157 posts, read 854,933 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Orlando and am looking for a 55+ community near Disney.

I've found 4 that I like:
1) High Vista (part of Ridgewood Lakes, just south of I-4 on Hwy 27)
smaller community but seems well kept
2) Kings Ridge, Clermont
Good location, but some strange deal on the land, it's leased for 99 years
3) The Plantation, Leesburg
Getting a bit lonely out here, but seems a nice "golf cart" community
4) The Villages
Again, I like the "golf cart" concept, but this is pretty congested.

Any thoughts on these or others? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,217 times
I would suggest Solivita in the Poincianna area here in Kissimmee. It is only 20 minutes to Disney area. It is gated and has 2 golf courses. It is very quiet and the houses are very nice. I think the prices are pretty good as well. Plantation and the Villages are really far from Disney and are too big in my opinion but I guess that is just a matter of taste. Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 28,470 times
Default 55+ Orlando Community

You need to check out Victoria Gardens. It is in DeLand right off I-4 between Orlando and Daytona. It is being built by Shea Homes. They won the JD Powers award for best active adult builder. The community has a beautiful clubhouse and great golf. DeLand is also a college town - Stetson Univ. with a great true downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm moving to Orlando and am looking for a 55+ community near Disney.

I've found 4 that I like:
1) High Vista (part of Ridgewood Lakes, just south of I-4 on Hwy 27)
smaller community but seems well kept
2) Kings Ridge, Clermont
Good location, but some strange deal on the land, it's leased for 99 years
3) The Plantation, Leesburg
Getting a bit lonely out here, but seems a nice "golf cart" community
4) The Villages
Again, I like the "golf cart" concept, but this is pretty congested.

Any thoughts on these or others? Thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 AM

14 posts, read 60,757 times
Not sure about the other 2 but the Villages is more of it's own town - very self contained (although huge) - I've heard the historic side is a much better place to live. You'd never have to leave - they have their own shopping, post office, medical offices etc. Like I said - like a town in itself - even the news reports the weather - kissimmee, orlando, clermont, the villages etc.

I live near kings ridge and golf there on occasion - beautiful - in the rolling hills of clermont. has 3 or 4 pools, fitness center, tons of stuff to do and the people are great. With the real estate market the way it is there are good deals to be had here.

I've also heard nice things about solivita that someone else suggested but I unfortunatetly would not go near poinciana with a 10 ft pole - there is only one way in or out (for now - plans in the works) so if there is an accident you're stuck, and 20 minutes is very optimistic - some parts of poinciana can be very far - and because of the low low priced homes the residential areas have brought in alot of crime. I'm sure that's not in solavita but close enough.

Cindy

Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 64,340 times
Default Solivita Community

I recently listed a property in Solivita and the ammenities are quite nice. They have a nice pool area, shops, restaurants, clubhouse, golfing, guards at the gates, activities for residents, and most homes have at least a one car garage plus an extra space for a golf cart. The HOA maintains the common areas and the yards of each home very nicely. The homes are very resonable. I have worked with clients that were interested in The Villages and they were happy with the homes that were there as well. The prices for homes have gone down 50-70K since 2006 in both communities. There are good deals for properties in both communities.

Keith Pavlick

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 19,145 times
Question Hoping to locate 6 mo rental in Solivata

While searching Google I was referred to a rental home for 6 months for 55+ or older rental in the Solivita Community. It was extremely interesting; however all of a sudden I was disconnected and could never locate the listing. I searched this site and just read your comments. Took a chance to see if you have any 6 months rentals. GerryJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpavlick View Post
I recently listed a property in Solivita and the ammenities are quite nice. They have a nice pool area, shops, restaurants, clubhouse, golfing, guards at the gates, activities for residents, and most homes have at least a one car garage plus an extra space for a golf cart. The HOA maintains the common areas and the yards of each home very nicely. The homes are very resonable. I have worked with clients that were interested in The Villages and they were happy with the homes that were there as well. The prices for homes have gone down 50-70K since 2006 in both communities. There are good deals for properties in both communities.

Keith Pavlick

Last edited by GerryJohn; 01-21-2008 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,948 times
Default Solivita

Solivita has the most beautiful common areas in any community that I have seen and the amenities are luxurios. Avatar (builder) has devoted a lot of land for wildlife preservation in this development & nature abounds. The homes are also block construction & I'm not sure if the villages are built the same. When you decide to check out the communities ask if they have any hotel & restaurant discounts available for your stay in the area. Some give that as an incentive for your visit. Good luck

Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 19,117 times
Default Victoria Gardens

I like Victoria Gardens. I think it is a nicer part of Orlando. Close to Heathrow and easy to get to Downtown. DeLand is also a great college town. Community has great access right off I-4. Can go to the beach a lot, club is outstanding and the golf is one of the top 10 in the state. I looked at the other communities like Solivita and the Villages. They are OK, but why do people want to live so far out?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM

800 posts, read 3,089,785 times
SummerGlen in Ocala is also very nice. Victoria Park and Solivita are great too. Victoria Park is not strickly seniors but one neighborhood there is reserved for seniors.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM

25 posts, read 161,786 times
Del Webb is building La Cresta in Ridgewood Lakes. Pulte has built several large 55 or older communities around the county check out their website Delwebb.com for all there communities in Florida. About 12 miles to Disney.
Also check out Pringle developments. Lakes of Mount Dora is very nice but not so close to Disney maybe 25-30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando