Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,578 times

Advertisements

We're planning to move down to the Orlando area, most like Seminole county. I was wondering if anyone knew or have had experience with parents holding their kindergarten child back a year if their birthday is close to the Sept 1 cutoff date?

Right now we're in Upstate NY and we have a Dec 1 cutoff date and it seems most parents hold back their kids if they are born in Sept/Oct/Nov. My son just turned 8 and is in 3rd grade because I did not hold him back. I'm thinking about having him repeat 3rd grade if we move to the Orlando area. Since the cutoff date is Sept 1, if parents held their children back like the way they do up here, I would imagine most of the summer babies(June/July/August) get held back. That would make my child 1 1/2 years younger than many of the children in his class which is probably not a good thing.

If we were to stay up in NY, he would continue on to 4th grade as he is doing fine, but I'm on the fence if we move. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
I moved from NJ to Florida, I held my daughter back but not because of age and my son (her twin) because he was so immature both mentally and academically. She had developed chicken pox pneumonia and missed way to much school and was struggling. We moved to Florida and found the curriculum so different then up north. She had repeated the 2nd grade. I found what she had learned in 1st grade was the same as 2nd grade here. It was so easy for her and she was bored. Believe me with 3 kids I found it so refreshing to not struggle with homework for 3 hours a day, on the other hand, she holds it against me for not being with girls her own age (she is on the mature side). My son however doesn't have this problem and has excelled tremendously. I think your the only person that can make the decision about your child. Don't do it because of age. If you have a particular area that your interested in go to the schools website. Alot of schools down here post the homework on the internet. You may be able to glance at the cirriculum to make a comparision. I hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
If your child is doing well in school, there should be no reason to hold him back. As the previous poster said, the curriculum down here tends to be one grade level below the curriculum up north. If you hold your child back, he may become bored and uninterested in class.

Like the above poster said though, only you can make that decision about your child. I wish you the best in what ever you decide.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
on the other hand, she holds it against me for not being with girls her own age (she is on the mature side). My son however doesn't have this problem and has excelled tremendously.
dmccauley, Do you mean that your daughter is a year older than her classmates, in that she technically should be in the higher grade? or that She just "wished" she did not repeat. If we move to Orlando, just based on my son's birthday, he should have missed the Sept 1 cut off, if he had started school down there. He would be in 2nd grade at this point instead of 3rd.Age wise, it would be like he skipped a year. I'm just thinking it's probably better for him to be in a class with kids closer to his age. He was a bit bummed when I brought up the idea of him repeating 3rd grade, but I figure(hope) it might not be so bad since we would be in a totally new school. It's not like he'll see his current friends advance to 4th while he's left in 3rd. But it's interesting to me that your daughter brings that up. I'm not sure which is worse, having him repeat a grade or possibly having him go through his school career being the little guy always having to keep up with the bigger kids.

Thanks for the idea about looking at the cirriculum on-line. I'm going to do that. I would hope that the schools would have something for kids that need to be challenged a bit, other than skipping them a grade.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Cigarboo... Yes my daughter is a year older then her classmates. She is now in the 5th grade and soon to be 12. She should be in 6th. My brother moved to Florida (years ago) and held back his daughter in 2nd grade as well. She is now 18 but there wasn't a day that went by that she didn't resent them holding her back. My son was just the opposite he was always considered the bigger guy and was expected to be able to keep up with the "bigger kids" however his personality and immaturity prevented him from being able to do so. I think as the kids mature the age factor comes into play. One year makes a huge difference when they are going through puberty. The younger ones don't get it (the facial hair, voice change, wearing a bra) and the older ones are embarrassed. It seems teenagers want to hang out with kids their own age especially if you can drive and your friends can't for another year.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I think it depends on the child starting kindergarten. I started my daughter at 4. I wish I waited till she was 5. I think she just wasn't mature enough. She is now 18 and graduated at 17. Another thing, was several of the programs at college wouldn't accept her till she was 18. Those programs only start in the fall. Therfore, if she chose one of those, she'd have to wait an entire year till she was 18.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM

ps when there are birthday parties my kids always have to explain why they are a year older and not in the higher grade.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Thank you all for your input. It's a hard decision and hearing your experiences definitely open my eyes to the down the line affects of this one decision. Wish I didn't have to make it. Seems my son would benefit more by repeating 3rd grade. He's small for his age and very shy. The least I can do is put him in the "proper" grade for his age. Hopefully he won't get too bored.

beckycat, I think you responded to my other thread. You indicated you prefer the Timacuan area over my other choices. Would you mind sharing your reasoning? There is a home I quite like there and would like to know as much as I can about that area.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
Thank you all for your input. It's a hard decision and hearing your experiences definitely open my eyes to the down the line affects of this one decision. Wish I didn't have to make it. Seems my son would benefit more by repeating 3rd grade. He's small for his age and very shy. The least I can do is put him in the "proper" grade for his age. Hopefully he won't get too bored.

beckycat, I think you responded to my other thread. You indicated you prefer the Timacuan area over my other choices. Would you mind sharing your reasoning? There is a home I quite like there and would like to know as much as I can about that area.
Just b/c the location. It's closer to shopping IMHO. It's in between I4 and the toll road. The other places are nice too, but you have to drive a little more to get to where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: