Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,851 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to buy a 1,300-1,500 sq ft. house/condo/townhouse in the area surrounding Disney (sorry, embarrassingly we must admit, we LOVE Disney). I have read MANY posts about the crime in the area - as such, can someone please provide advice on towns/communities that would be really close to Disney, in a good/safe neighborhood, and not make us spend a huge amount of money? We did look at Celebration (some condos seemed affordable), but the HOA/Maintenance Fees/Taxes were a killer.

Ideally, we'd like to spending about $175-200K (as this would be our second residence) and keep Taxes/Maintenance Fees to about $5-7K/yr. We've seen (on the internet) places like Dr Philips, Windmere, Celebration, etc. just not too sure which one (if any) is a good match for us. As such, we need your help...PLEASE suggest and provide any advice!!!

Many thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Even though I am not a big fan of Real Estate agents in this case one would be right you need someone that you can give your personal info and needs too.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
You can't go wrong in Dr. Phillips, Windermere or Celebration! I'd recommend Dr. Phillips or Celebration if Disney is your main concern. Dr. Phillips is a short 10 minutes to the Disney Gate and Downtown Disney. It's also very safe and there are a lot of restaurants and grocery stores in the area. They just built a beautiful Whole Foods in Dr. Phillips.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,851 times
thx Jontastic for this info - as far as Dr Philips...is there any particular/section you would recommend or avoid?

thanks again.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
Pretty much all of Dr. Phillips is a great area the closer you stay to the Phonecia shopping area and BayHill the nicer it is, There may be a little more crime in the NW area of the corner of apopka-vineland and sand lake, but in general it's all great. The problem would be finding a property in your price range.

You may want to check out some neighborhoods in Windermere up and down the 535, you will find several townhomes that would match the criteria set forth and be within your price range.

You can also find many single family homes that will be in your range in the part of Kissimmee around "The Loop" just south and North of the Osceola Pkwy, just stay West of John young Pkwy.

If you where looking to perhaps rent the property short-term the area's mentioned above would not be options, you would have to look in Davenport...not as desireable , but a few great neighborhoods are in the area I would recommend.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Yen View Post
thx Jontastic for this info - as far as Dr Philips...is there any particular/section you would recommend or avoid?

thanks again.
You're welcome - There really isn't any area to avoid in Dr. Phillips. It's just a matter of which area(s) your budget will allow. If you want to drive around before/after meeting with a realtor...

Sand Lake Road to Dr. Phillips Blvd to Conroy Windermere Road to Apopka Vineland Road down towards Disney. There are a lot of nice communities around these streets.

Basically the area inside the red border...

http://image63.webshots.com/763/8/71...9NDLfEq_fs.jpg

Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
I would recommend that small quaint section of town called Williamsburg, near the I4 exit for Sea World. There are some more reasonably priced homes there, but still close to Disney without paying the prices like in Dr. Phillips or Windermere, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You can't go wrong in Dr. Phillips, Windermere or Celebration! I'd recommend Dr. Phillips or Celebration if Disney is your main concern. Dr. Phillips is a short 10 minutes to the Disney Gate and Downtown Disney. It's also very safe and there are a lot of restaurants and grocery stores in the area. They just built a beautiful Whole Foods in Dr. Phillips.
Can you find something in the areas you mentioned for the prices the original poster had quoted? Even in this market these days?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Can you find something in the areas you mentioned for the prices the original poster had quoted? Even in this market these days?
There's a lot...about 15-20 in the red area I showed.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
GregTraub mentioned around the Loop, that is great area. We use to have a house in Stonefield, it is gated and the monthly fee included them doing your lawn which would be great for a second home. And the clubhouse is beautiful with a nice pool, it is just a really well kept and safe area and just a streight shot out Osceola Parkway to Disney, no having to get on I-4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando