Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Registered nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 AM

7 posts, read 14,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
Hey Salmanalk Many thanks for the positive response! I'm not sure there is a Florida dream any more, but there's no UK dream either! You are completely right about the medical thing and I'm not sure we're doing this in the right order....... Medical is free here and we're getting older by the minute.... Providing JoAnn could find a job immediately, it would provide cover for both of us and we could enjoy our 2 week vacation walking on a sunny beach somewhere without worry. (We get 5 weeks here). No positive decisions made yet but I'm sure I'll be told at some point
Have your wife go to a job site, careerbuilder.com is a good one. There's a nursing shortage here. Many places are offering sign-on bonuses and even help with relocation expenses for experienced nurses.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM

24 posts, read 48,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Just because you are married to a US citizen, it does not give you the automatic right to come to the United States and work here. You still need to go through a process to either get a work permit or a Green Card. This process can take up to two years, depending on your particular circumstance and what you are applying for.
Hi annerk, and thanks for your very reasoned response. we'd need to go through the process to obtain an IR-1 visa, which is for a spouse of a US citizen where the marriage has existed for more than two years. This can all be done through the US embassy here in London, normally within six months. I believe I'd have a green card and permanent residence status with no conditions before we even left the UK. (provided we meet all of the immigration conditions). You may have talked me out of coming to Orlando though!
Steve

Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina82 View Post
My husband is British. You have several forms you need to file and it's good if someone else in her family with a good paying job will agree to sponsor you (basically that's just saying on paper that they take financial responsibility for you also, but it's not necessary if your wife is so far above the poverty line herself, i think it's 150% but I'm not sure). Be prepared to spend a lot of money filing the forms. One by itself was $495. One of those forms is for employment authorization, that will go through with the rest of your forms if approved. They give you a hard time when you meet with an officer so be prepared for that, if that happens go get a lawyer, he'll contact the officer and that will pretty much get them off your back.
You'll most likely get a conditional permanent residency for two years and a social security number.
Hi Christina,
Without an income, the sponsor has to prove they have three times the poverty limit in assets to qualify. This is currently just under $55K. We probably wouldn't move without one of us finding a job first though. We can do all of the visa thing through the US embassy here in London and get unconditional PR status as we've been married for more than two years (IR-1 visa). I believe that conditional PR is only when you've been married for less than two years (CR-1 visa). I may be talking garbage though, and remain ready to stand corrected!
Steve

Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
Don't worry, Obama has things well in hand and things will get better any day now. If you can't get into the country legally, walk across the Mexican/U.S. border. It seems millions have done it over the last couple of years with no penalty (sarcasm!!!)

Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Don't worry, Obama has things well in hand and things will get better any day now. If you can't get into the country legally, walk across the Mexican/U.S. border. It seems millions have done it over the last couple of years with no penalty (sarcasm!!!)
Great lateral thinking! I'm not sure I'd want to go via Mexico at the moment though....... Although I had heard they have developed some oinkment to combat swine flu. I'll get my coat

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
Hi annerk, and thanks for your very reasoned response. we'd need to go through the process to obtain an IR-1 visa, which is for a spouse of a US citizen where the marriage has existed for more than two years. This can all be done through the US embassy here in London, normally within six months. I believe I'd have a green card and permanent residence status with no conditions before we even left the UK. (provided we meet all of the immigration conditions). You may have talked me out of coming to Orlando though!
Steve
In all honesty, you might be better in other parts of the US where there would be better opportunities in your field. Your wife will find work here with no problem. With your field, not so much. I would suggest reaching out to a recruiter who specializes in telecommunications positioins to help with your search.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 AM

196 posts, read 817,573 times
Move to Orlando NOW!, check the website mentioned above for your wife's job, seems to be a lot of demand for RN's (thanks for clarifying that annerk). You can invest in a bass boat and start your own fishing charter company ( i'll book with you ((please lets not move off subject about how the charter business is slow, this is part time only!))and start enjoying life in the sun!

Remember...there are no problems...only challenges!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmanalk View Post
Move to Orlando NOW! You can invest in a bass boat and start your own fishing charter company
Amazing! How did you know! Until last year we owned the boat pictured below (if pictures work here), and I hold a RYA powerboat certificate and a marine VHF license! Can't wait to get there

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w256/Steve_I_photos/swmboonboard.jpg (broken link)

Very best regards,

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 AM

196 posts, read 817,573 times
nice boat!, soon you will be able to enjoy both the lakes and the coasts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando