Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,024 times

Advertisements

me my wife and two young boys are wanting to move to orlando at the end of may, what we would like to know is where are the nicest and safest areas to live. i don't drive so we want to be close to downtown so we can find jobs and i can get to it by public transport. also good school areas - thanks jimi

Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB!!!

Unemployment is at 10% and many jobs are not on mass transit routes.

This is not the place to come with no job, no car, and no prospects.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM

231 posts, read 626,825 times
Default Public Transport..HA

Avoid downtown. I love downtown cause thats where I go to drink. I love downtown cause its the only safe haven away from tourists "family friendly" venues. But for most people downtown has nothing. There's a handfull of restaruants and NO retail. Ok it has a mens clothing store and a smoke shop. You certainly can not live downtown. Unless you want to pay over $1000 a month for an apartment. Its WAY over priced. Most floridians can't afford to live downtown.

If you concider thorton park down town..then downtown is fabulous. You love thorton park but like I said, most can't afford to rent in that area.

www.golinx.com thats our bus system. Some of the more busy areas (colonial drive) have buses every 15-30 minutes. However most busses only run once every hour. And if they're too full they drive past you and you have to wait an hour in the hot florida sun before they send another out. I used to take the bus every where and to get to work/schoo/ect always took about an hour and half.

You speak spanish? If not good luck finding a job. As far as school is concerned...OMG. We have one of the worst school systems. Boon is really good schooll but I believe they just had to lay off a bunch of teachers..We have a lack of funding for schools here.

Avoid south-florida
Paramore..OBT area...Jones Highschool...OakRidge...- Ghetto/hood

Oh and hope your ok with snobby and clicky cause that describes a good majority of people here.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
Most of this last post is ridiculous:

Downtown is a good place to live if you do not mind the noise.
There is a ton of dining and nightlife but there is little shopping.
Thornton Park is great.
Lynx is not a good transportation system, get a car.
Spanish is not necessary though being bilingual will help you anywhere in Florida.
The schools here are good in areas, bad in others, and undergoing a budget crisis and laying off a lot of people.
I do not find people in Orlando snobby at all. It is hard to meet people because people do not always talk to their neighbors and are pretty busy in general or at least seemingly. I think rude or uninterested is more appropriate than snobby or clique-ish.

There is no reason to avoid South Florida, though it is much more appropriate to be bilingual down there than here.

Do avoid the areas mentioned, Parramore, South OBT, Pine Hills, Oak Ridge, Union Park, Azalea Park.

The nicest areas are Oviedo, Lake Mary, Colonialtown, College Park, Winter Park, Thornton Park, Delaney Park, Windermere, Dr Phillips, Longwood, Hunters Creek, Lake Nona, Baldwin Park, plus some others.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I used to work as a recruiter in Orlando. If an employer asks you about transportation and you tell them you ride the bus, they will be very hesitant to offer you a job. They will figure that you will have major issues with getting to work on time. Also, you will be severely limited in your job search if you have to get there by bus.

It sounds like you have some things working against you from the get go here. Add to that the 10% (and growing) unemployment rate in Central FL and you are looking at trouble.

I hope that your field of work is in high demand.

Central FL is not at all set up for someone who doesn't have a car. Is there any way your wife could drive you? Do you have money for a car and insurance? Those are some things to think about.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Firt off, what kind of work do you do?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,024 times
We do have a car, I just don't drive. Never have, I'm from London. I'm just wondering what neighborhoods have moderate priced rent that aren't in the ghetto.

I have experience in cabinet making, shoe repair, and glazing. More laboring jobs and working with my hands.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post
We do have a car, I just don't drive. Never have, I'm from London. I'm just wondering what neighborhoods have moderate priced rent that aren't in the ghetto.

I have experience in cabinet making, shoe repair, and glazing. More laboring jobs and working with my hands.
There are parts of Sanford, Longwood Winter Springs, and Casselberry that may work for you. You'll want to live near 17/92 where the bus runs. You'll just have to be picky about it. You can also ride a bike to the bus. A three bedroom home in those areas will run you about $850 on up. Did you want an apartment, duplex or a house? I'd try to stay in those areas which are Seminole County and have the best schools. For the work you do, there is a huge flea market in Sanford, I think that would be a great place to start a business. I thought they would have shoe repair there, but they don't. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post

Do you have a work Visa?

I know two people who were working in cabinet making and glazing who have both been out of work since last fall. Glass companies and cabinet/woodwork companies around ehre won't hire you if you don't have a license. I doubt there is a huge market for shoe repair around here. Most labor type jobs are not on the buslines.

Do not come here without a job lined up.

Most of the moderate priced neighborhoods are not in areas with good schools, and many are not on buslines.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Stay in London please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando