Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_gal09 View Post
Don't "bring that stat talk" into the discussion? LOL! If you make a statement that paints all of the people in the area in a negative light, then I have every right to examine that statement. If you only have anecdotal evidence based on the times you've driven by a neighborhood and no hard data about the job situation with the people in that particular neighborhood, then I question the objectivity of the statement. So far, all I'm hearing is that these are unemployed "ghetto" people because they sit on their front porch, they ride bicycles, and they play cards. Hmmm ... I had no idea that your employment situation could be determined by where you sit, whether you ride a bicycle, and the type of games you play.

Until I have factual data to the contrary, I would classify the neighborhood as working class, particularly since the unemployment rate in Oviedo is significantly lower than Orlando's (2 points lower the last time I checked) - and in fact, is lower than the U.S. average (by about a point).
think whatever you wish....anyone interested in the area should go drive through it. there you will find your stats. Until I have factual data that all the people i see hanging around on their door steps are acually working from their homes I will go with my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM

217 posts, read 806,549 times
Hey Curt....I'm gonna shimmy way out onto that limb out there, and assume that you're driving through said hood during the day.

Question - and again, I'm doing a balancing act out here on this limb, but.....Did it ever once occur to you, that, at least SOME of those people you see may be working shifts other than 9-5?

I'm not saying that there aren't any lazy good-for-nothings therein (I'm certain that there are), but you're gonna need some hard proof that they're ALL goldbricking, before we follow you and the tune of your musical pipe. Just my 2 pfennings.

MDK

Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
This is a prime example of the mamby-pamby politically correct world trying to self-impose its facts and figures and sugar-coated titles to make everyone feel better. The people of this neighborhood don't give 2 craps about stats or kind-heartedness of people trying to protect them from generalizations. Life is what it is to them. While some may work (whatever shift during the day or night), they whole area is still poor...and in most cases, the folks there are fine with it. This is only something that you could know by living near there for a long time and knowing folks that came from there (or still live there).

This is like that classic TV or movie plot where some out of towners come into an older city and think they know better than everyone who's lived there for decades...only to have their new age ideas and philosophies backfire in their face.

When something is known to all (or the vast majority) as a fact, it is up to the challenger to prove otherwise. In this case, anyone who thinks this area doesn't have a high unemployment rate is in the minority and is tasked with digging up some (useless) evidence to the contrary.

We'll wait...

Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Wow....This post made no sense whatsoever!
I'm not trying to make the residents of that neighborhood feel better, because I don't give enough of a *insert expletive* to do so.

Protect them from generalizations? LOL! Hilarious!
All I know is, it's stupid to assume that EVERYONE who plays cards on their stoops during the day is unemployed.

I've driven through poor neighborhoods with NO blacks, and have seen white people not working. "Huh, it's 1300 hrs, and that guy's not working. He must not have a job." Dumb!

Before I make a stupid generalization, I will have to have proof!

Trust, but verify.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 AM

For Cripe's sake...can we not talk in generalizations here? We're trying to describe an area of a city. If we need to describe each and every house and resident of that area to be perfect, then I give up. That's how you describe a part of town: poor, rich, middle class, high unemployment (usually hand-in-hand with poor parts), etc.

When you see the same folks, every single day, doing non-employed things, it is a wise assumption to make that they are unemployed. There's no stat, no economic report, no calculation needed to verify that...for the main reason of it's only passing conversation. We're not trying to determine funding for a revitalization project based on household incomes. We're describing an area to folks who may not know the history of it. If it hurts someone's feelings that we swiped a big paintbrush across the neighborhood and said "lot's are unemployed here," then I'm sorry for them.

End of story.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM

LOL!!!

"Hey, what part of town does he live in?"
"The high unemployment part."

That's a new one on me, but whatever.

But seriously, if you wanna talk in generalizations, go for it. I simply don't care. All I'M saying is, if you don't know SPECIFICALLY what their employment status is, then all you have is a best guess.

If you travel to the Serengeti to study lions and watch them ONLY from 9 in the morning until 5 at night for 21 consecutive days, you're gonna say, "geez, those lions do nothing all day but sleep."

Also, remember, you can have a job and STILL be poor.
Ever hear of minimum wage?

You seem like a smart person....Act like it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
People are making this harder than it is. If someone wants to know about this area....go look! pick any time of day or night you wish. Do your own survey.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Du Kwan View Post
You seem like a smart person....Act like it.
Why, thank you. And instead of beating around the bush and hiding behind fun little anecdotes to throw potshot jabs, I'll cut straight to the chase for you: quit being a douche and making a big deal out of nothing in a conversation that you know nothing about.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Beating around the bush? Uhm.....No! You're ALL confused.
But I'll just g'head and poo poo that.

Okay, let me see if I have this right, before I bail on this lameness-ness-ness.....You drive through a neighborhood and see people hanging out, and it automatically means that NONE of them work. DESPITE the fact that there are a lot of jobs that require people start work AFTER 1700 hrs.

And your only proof as to the employment status (and personal proclivities) of said residents, is what you observe during your daily trek through that neighborhood.

You haven't interviewed one resident, you haven't Googled the current unemployment rate among blacks in the town of Oviedo....Just driving through and looking makes you the expert. Got it.

Outstanding!

*shakes head*

Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 59,597 times
Wow guys....rethinking my move to Fla....lol....well, no but....hhhhmmmmm.....can i ask....what would i be classified in? I am an lpn supporting a family of 5 on 1 income as i was laid off from my 2nd job =/.....i dont recieve goverment assistance either and i BARELY live paycheck to paycheck to paycheck but i also dont live anywhere near a "ghetto" not that us ppl from Mass. have any idea what a real ghetto is like...lol....where is an area i could rent a nice home in a family area, in seminole county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando