Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

229 posts, read 779,185 times

Advertisements

You seem to have neighbors who are jerks, don't care to wave, or maybe you intimidate them, who knows. Their ethnic background is probably just coincidental. (on a side note, they are Hispanic, not Spanish). I would even speculate that they may have moved from a big city where acknowledging others is not common, and in some places can get you in trouble.

My neighborhood is somewhat mixed, and everybody smiles, waves or at least nods your way. Even the UCF students that rent one house started waving back after a few weeks. The only guy that does not wave happens to be white, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. He waved for a while when he purchased a big cruiser motorcycle (I owned one at the time for a few years). He quit waving when I traded my big cruiser for a scooter. My wife and I found that hilarious. I just keep waving, he is my neighbor, and he may decide to wave back some day, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 10,981 times
My husband and I are from Massachusetts and have lived here for 5 years now. He's a waver...he'll say hi when we're going for walks with the dogs, and wave when we're in the car. I'll say hi to the neighbors on one side of us, and wave to another guy on our street, but that's it- they're basically the only people that I know, anyway (I don't know the one guy well, but our neighbors do, so I like him by association!). I don't like the neighbors on the other side, so I ignore them (they're loud anyway, but I've caught the little boy feeding my dogs before (candy and whatnot), and his family didn't even care, which made me so mad. So I don't like them, but my husband always says hi and waves.

For me, I don't like to talk with strangers, unless it's the cashier at the grocery store! I don't live in a horrble part of Orlando, but there has been a rise in crime since we've moved in (our neighbor jokingly likes to mention!).

I mean, my neighbors and the other guy on my street are the only ones who wave (besides my husband), anyway...

Part of it could be that so many people have recently moved to Orlando that a lot of us just don't know each other and don't feel all that comfortable with each other.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,057,577 times
We were at the Lake Eola farmers market on Sunday, and people were stopping left and right to pet our dogs and ask us about them. There is certainly no shortage of friendliness downtown. In fact, all I could think about the whole time is just how wrong people are about generalizing Orlando. I guess it is true that where you live or hang out in this city can make all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando