Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 81,946 times

Advertisements

I have heard some bad things about Sanford, but we loved some homes we saw in the Lake Forest community. Would buying here be a bad idea? How bad are the schools in Sanford? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndotcom View Post
I have heard some bad things about Sanford, but we loved some homes we saw in the Lake Forest community. Would buying here be a bad idea? How bad are the schools in Sanford? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Lake Forest is a lovely community.
http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/ lets you put in the address to determine what school your children will go to.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Lake Forest is REALLY nice.... Little pricey but nice.... I almost don't even count that as Sanford as it's on the west side of I-4 if I'm not mistaken... Even I, who think Sanford is decent, forgets that that is a part of it...

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 AM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Lake Forest is REALLY nice.... Little pricey but nice.... I almost don't even count that as Sanford as it's on the west side of I-4 if I'm not mistaken... Even I, who think Sanford is decent, forgets that that is a part of it...

Lake Forest is part of Sanford.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
All Central Florida schools pretty much suck, that's the reality. The "good" scohols seem to only be different from the "bad" schools in the number of minority students. But in terms of what they look like, they all look like run-down heaps for the most part, except for the new schools. My brother went to one of the "best" schools in the area in Oviedo and the bathrooms were broken down and buildings were falling apart The teachers were OK but there were just as many failing students and dopers there as any other place. I think the bottom line is a school will be what a student makes it. Iwent to one of the nation's best highschools in Virginia and half my English class was still failing, even with some of the best teacher's I've ever had.

Sanford is a nice city. It is very much unlike Orlando- it actually is built up more like a traditional city whereas Orlando quickly grew into a blob eating everything in a giant mess of roads and highways. Unlike Orlando they actually have alot of stuff there that real people would want to have near them. I can't find a good motorcycle mechanic that'll work on Japanese bikes in the east part of Orlando/Seminole county but there are several in Sanford (bikes seem to be more popular up there, especially cruisers). There's also plenty of shopping up there or nearby, too, so you won't necessarily have to go down to Orlando for anything, there is also some tourist oriented stuff in the Seminole Town Center but it's also good for shopping. You are also close to Mt. Dora and can go to the flea markets and cultural stuff they have there.

There is crime in some parts of Sanford but there is crime everywhere in Central Florida. There are more black people in Sanford than Orlando, and I guess that makes some people uncomfortable for whatever reason, and yes, there probably is some crime in the black community (mostly petty) but I've been up there many times and it is hardly gangland. I think the positives of Sanford outweigh the negatives.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
All Central Florida schools pretty much suck, that's the reality. The "good" scohols seem to only be different from the "bad" schools in the number of minority students. But in terms of what they look like, they all look like run-down heaps for the most part, except for the new schools. My brother went to one of the "best" schools in the area in Oviedo and the bathrooms were broken down and buildings were falling apart The teachers were OK but there were just as many failing students and dopers there as any other place. I think the bottom line is a school will be what a student makes it. Iwent to one of the nation's best highschools in Virginia and half my English class was still failing, even with some of the best teacher's I've ever had.

Sanford is a nice city. It is very much unlike Orlando- it actually is built up more like a traditional city whereas Orlando quickly grew into a blob eating everything in a giant mess of roads and highways. Unlike Orlando they actually have alot of stuff there that real people would want to have near them. I can't find a good motorcycle mechanic that'll work on Japanese bikes in the east part of Orlando/Seminole county but there are several in Sanford (bikes seem to be more popular up there, especially cruisers). There's also plenty of shopping up there or nearby, too, so you won't necessarily have to go down to Orlando for anything, there is also some tourist oriented stuff in the Seminole Town Center but it's also good for shopping. You are also close to Mt. Dora and can go to the flea markets and cultural stuff they have there.

There is crime in some parts of Sanford but there is crime everywhere in Central Florida. There are more black people in Sanford than Orlando, and I guess that makes some people uncomfortable for whatever reason, and yes, there probably is some crime in the black community (mostly petty) but I've been up there many times and it is hardly gangland. I think the positives of Sanford outweigh the negatives.
Like I've mentioned before.... for the most part this is true, save for 13th Street and Midway.... And even Midway I'm unsure whether it's "gangland" per se, or just poor and black (not the same thing)...

Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,258 times
Default Lale Forest is Beautiful

Sanford's poor reputation is based on the older parts of Sanford and is changing dramatically. You are now more likely to see well dressed people shopping for antiques or tasting wine in the heart of Sanford than the prior reputation of Larry the cable guy lookalikes. Sanford City council are doing a wonderful job of updating Sanford, while retaining its historic riverside charm.

Lake Forest is actually closer to Heathrow and Lake Mary than to downtown Sanford and has more in common with these areas. It is locally recognized as a pleasant upscale gated community. With a beautiful landscape of lake, tree-lined streets and conservation area, it is a beautiful place to live with excellent local amenities and convenient access to I4 and 417.

Lake Forest is almost completely built out at this point so the supply of homes for new residents will be limited to resales in the near future and that should drive prices higher, even in a weak economy.

Hope this helps,
Melissa

Old 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,348 times
Talking Sanford area

Lake Forest is definitely not in the area most would call Sanford proper. Yes, it has a Sanford address but that's about the only similarity. Generally, schools in Seminole County receive the highest ratings. I don't think you would be disappointed if you decide on Lake Forest. There's lots of shopping close by. You would not even have to go to Sanford if you chose not to. However, downtown city square of Sanford is beautiful. Many quaint restaurants, farmer's market and lots of specialty shops. Not all of Sanford is bad trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndotcom View Post

Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,290 times
Lake Forest is a fabulous community. I love the family atmosphere, and gated community, and publix is right there too!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,702 times
A Sanford address would hurt your resale value on your house. Sanford has a poor reputation for a reason. Sanfords crime rate and horrible school system are just the beginning of Sanfords problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando