Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM

157 posts, read 457,940 times

Advertisements

Hi, i am planning a trip in January to Orlando. One of the main things we wanted to attempt was to swim with the Manatees. I have seen some you tube videos of Crystal River... but in doing some research, there seems to be so many choices for tours. Any help?

What is the best tour company to work with? (we are not professional divers, we just want a nice snorkeling experience).

I think we would like some sort of privacy and maybe even a bathroom on the boat? (some say that have that, some dont say it, maybe it is just inferred?)

Any help or opinons would be great.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:51 PM

228 posts, read 536,425 times
Usually, you are not supposed to get too close to them unless you are with somebody with specialized permits. Blue Springs is another place (closer to Orlando) to "see" them, but not swim with them. If you insist on snorkeling with them check out a dive shop in Sanford called "fun 2 dive." The captain was my nitrox instructor years ago and gives Crystal River manatee snorkeling tours on weekdays.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

295 posts, read 832,281 times
FL Developer is right---it is illegal to even touch a Manatee. At Blue Springs State Park in Orange City, FL., you can swim (I think) in one area they might come near to (the Springs) but it is netted off so you can only look, not swim with them. In fact, if a Manatee gets under the net (and they frequently do, I've seen it happen) then all swimming is off-limits until it leaves. Blue Springs is very nice but snorkeling and diving are not permitted November 15th through March 1st.

Main Page - Blue Spring State Park » Florida State Parks

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM

157 posts, read 457,940 times
We were hoping to try the snorkling with manatees... im not sure if you are suppose to touch or not, i assume that is what they will explain to you there... but we were looking to get in the water.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Touch a manatee, go to jail, and I'd happily report you.

The law in Florida which state that it is illegal to touch, feed, or molest wildlife is strictly enforced down here, and rightfully so. Manatees are highly endangered, and it's because of people who aren't bright enough to leave them alone. This led to the manatees seeing people as a food source, which caused thousands of them to be butchered by boat propellers.

Want to watch the manatees, have at it--I love to watch them. But don't snorkle with them or even think about trying to touch them. It's not only morally wrong, it's entirely illegal.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Blue Spring just instituted the no diving rule less than 5 years ago. You used to be able to still dive when they were in the spring. It was really cool and I feel fortunate to be able to do so. But as with anything that relies on human good nature and responsibility, it was ruined by some idiots who insisted on messing with the manatees. A buddy and I showed up one day to dive and they turned us around saying there were manatee in the spring and no one was allowed in. They weren't open to discussion about when that became a rule (something rangers are notorious for: no patience for people they deem as an inconvenience).

I can remember sitting on the edge of the boil pool area putting on my fins and the manatee would be so curios of you that they'd swim right up and try to get in your lap! You'd have to gently push them back...but there'd always be a ranger up on the boardwalk yelling down to get away from them...to which I'd reply "they're following me!!!" The rangers wouldn't care and would still give you the third degree when you got out of the water. Maybe it was for the best to close it down. The frustrating thing was to lose a great diving spot for 4 months of the year.

I would highly advice you to adjust your trip's purpose to observe the manatee; not to swim with them. For that, Blue Spring is a great place with the boardwalk up high above the spring run and boil. You get a great bird's eye view of the crystal clear water.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM

229 posts, read 778,693 times
Do's and Don'ts

The West Indian manatee is an endangered species and is protected by state and federal law as stated above. Please avoid harassing or disturbing manatees. Harassment is defined as any activity which alters the animal's natural behavior. By altering the manatee's natural behavior, you may create the likelihood of danger that is bad for the animal and against the law.

BEING NEAR MANATEES
  • Look, but don't touch manatees. Also, don't feed manatees or give them water. If manatees become accustomed to being around people, they can alter their behavior in the wild, perhaps causing them to lose their natural fear of boats and humans, which may make them more susceptible to harm. Passive observation is the best way to interact with manatees and all wildlife.
  • Do not pursue or chase a manatee if you see one while you are swimming, snorkeling, diving or operating a boat.
  • Never poke, prod or stab a manatee with your hands, feet or any object.
  • If a manatee avoids you, you should avoid it.
  • Give manatees space to move. Don't isolate or single out an individual manatee from its group, and don't separate a cow and her calf.
  • Keep hands and objects to yourself. Don't attempt to snag, hook, hold, grab, pinch or ride a manatee.
  • Avoid excessive noise and splashing if a manatee appears in your swimming area.
  • Use snorkel gear when attempting to watch manatees. The sound of bubbles from SCUBA gear may cause manatees to leave the area.
  • Float at the surface of the water to passively observe the manatees. Remember, look, but don't touch.
Do not enter areas designated as "NO ENTRY-MANATEE REFUGE"
These areas have been identified by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as crucial for manatee survival.

FWC - Manatee Related Links Viewing Guide

Blue Springs State Park

http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/

Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
Here in Crystal River you can venture out on a guided "swim with the manatees" tour where it is legal for you to touch a manatee with one hand. There are a number of regulations that are in place to protect these endangered animals and these rules must be followed or you will be subject to fines and/or inprisonment. In Citrus County, Florida, you can enter the water, and make contact with the manatees legally if the rules are followed. One hand touch, no chasing, no diving down, no feeding, no seperating a mother and calf, no interrupting a feeding manatee etc. etc....basically, you can not do anything that might change the manatees natural behavior. Manatees are curious by nature and many of them will approach you when you are in the water. There are several manatee tour companies in and around Crystal River that will take you out to swim with them. The tour companies carry special permits issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service that allows them to take visitors out into Crystal River NWR to swim with the manatees. They educate their visitors on the rules of engagement and monitor their groups for compliance. Because the USFWS manages the Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge, there is a strong presence of both federal and state wildlife officers on and off the water who monitor and observe the interactions to ensure compliance. If you are going to visit Crystal River to swim with the manatees you should strongly consider doing so with a reputable company in town. Renting a boat and going it alone should be reserved for those who have a strong knowledge of the state and federal laws in place to protect these magnificent animals.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Granny Sue; 08-26-2010 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando