Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 14,951 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have visited Florida nearly every year since the age of 4. I am now 27 with a young son. Myself and my parents are looking to relocate to Florida with my little boy for a better life and more opportunites for my son. We have property over here in the UK which we are able to sell to get money to buy a property in FLorida. I have previously worked for the Disney Store and am therefore hoping to get a job at Disney in Orlando. I know its hard to get visas etc, but as my parents are at retirement age I think they can get 6 month visas. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to start this process and the best way to go about it please? Has anyone actually moved from UK to USA on here that can offer any advice?
thanks in advance

Last edited by 2goldens; 03-17-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Send DM- emphasize on Orlando or Vista/Immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnasdream View Post
Hi, I have visited Florida nearly every year since the age of 4. I am now 27 with a young son. Myself and my parents are looking to relocate to Florida with my little boy for a better life and more opportunites for my son. We have property over here in the UK which we are able to sell to get money to buy a property in FLorida. I have previously worked for the Disney Store and am therefore hoping to get a job at Disney in Orlando. I know its hard to get visas etc, but as my parents are at retirement age I think they can get 6 month visas. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to start this process and the best way to go about it please? Has anyone actually moved from UK to USA on here that can offer any advice?
thanks in advance
Hi!

Just moved to NC from UK.
The process took us 3-4 years and even though I am a RN with a job offer in the US I still don't have a visa to work.
Wait for Green cards for RNs is about 7 years.

Your parents can get a visitors visa which covers them for 6 months.
However, if they are still of working ages and can't give a relly good reason why they want to be out there and not work, eg because you and your son are already there, and show that they have enough funds to support themselves without working,then their chances may be slim.
THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK.

Unless you have a profession with a Bachelors degree then your chances of getting an employment based visa are next to nothing unfortunately.
For a non-immigrant investors visa you need $500,000 available to invest when you apply for the visa, plus you haveto meet certain criteria.
For an immigrant visa (Green card) you need to have around $1000000 to invest and criteria are very strict.

Did you work at the Disney store in USA or UK?

Other than that you would have to marry an American citizen!

We eventually got here when my husband got his Masters (he already had a Bachelors degree, but that was no help) and managed to get a job. He then qualified for a 3 year work visa. Hoepfully his company will sponsor for Green Card and then I will be able to work, but the process takes around a year.

Sorry for the bad news!

We eventually

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 14,951 times
my parents are not of working age and do not wish to work over there, it would be more of a retirement thing for them. I worked for Disney store in the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: