Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
And you havent seen these things in Miami?
You have drove in Miami once? Miami drivers are heated and aggressive, and sometimes fast, but they at least tend to get out of the left lane and check their mirrors before changing lanes. Also, the red light running issue isn't as bad as you would expect, but that's probably due to the somewhat decent light synchronization throught Dade County. I would say the worst thing about driving in Dade is the left lane hogs and the people who sway from said left lane all the way to the exit lane on the highway with no signal on, otherwise I don't have too many problems there.

PBC Drivers SUCK; they do not use signals, they hog the left lane, they run red lights, they do not check their mirrors, they don't go on green, they tailgate, there are too many different styles, etc, and they also tend to drive very fast. Broward is just as bad, except everyone drives 10 below the speed limit and tailgating is actually pretty rare. Broward probably has the worst red light running problem in the country, though.

Orlando I would say is pretty similar to other cities around the country, with road rage probably being the most predominant difference from other places, and the red light running issue being a close second.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Using that explanation, Orange County would be worse. Bumper to bumper traffic on a Sunday afternoon is almost unheard of in Miami-Dade but pretty common in Orlando.
Really? I can never recall a time I have ever seen there be bumper to bumper traffic in Orlando on a Sunday unless there is a big event in town (convention, sports event at Citrus bowl, magic game, etc) or if it is a holiday weekend

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I-Drive is scary because of all the tourists--especially the ones from other countries--that are sightseeing instead of driving. Fortunately most of the I-Drive accidents are low speed so they tend to be fender benders.

I-4 on a Friday at around 9:00 pm is a speedway with a lot of aggressive drivers weaving in and out. it reminds me of the AC Expressway on a Friday night. During rush hour it's generally too congested for aggressive driving and more like a parking lot than a raceway.

I've lived in four states and driven in every major US city and all 48 contiguous states (several times or more in each), and worst drivers overall are in Rhode Island and M-ass. Best (safety, courtesy) are in some of the mid-west states--OK and KS come to mind--as well as Oregon and Washington.

Most aggressive, for sure would be downstate NY (Rockland/Westchester, Five Boroughs, and Western LI) and Northern and Central NJ as well as parts of Miami.

Worst traffic snarls go to the DFW Metroplex, Washington DC, and the entire LA/Inland Empire/OC area. Runners up to Atlanta, Northern NJ (especially Hudson and Bergen Counties), and Chicago.

Wrst driving anywhere in the US and it's territories and commonwealths would have to be in Puerto Rico. They are fast, aggressive, and just bad drivers.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Really? I can never recall a time I have ever seen there be bumper to bumper traffic in Orlando on a Sunday unless there is a big event in town (convention, sports event at Citrus bowl, magic game, etc) or if it is a holiday weekend
I partially agree with the comment before because Orlando traffic (especially on I-4) is very very random. It is more random than most other cities I have seen. I remember driving from Altamonte to the 408 east this Sunday and there was bumper to bumper traffic moving about 55-65 MPH, so it was not stop and go but it was steady and there was a lot of lane changing. I was like what's the deal, it is Sunday??? I have had that happen several times and I think it is because Orlando has so many visitors and the freeway is designed to handle traffic when the peaks are low but not when things go haywire. I just like to avoid I-4 in general and then when not driving there, other than aggression I do not think Orlando has a lot of traffic issues.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
More importantly, where does Florida rank?

40th.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I-Drive is scary because of all the tourists--especially the ones from other countries--that are sightseeing instead of driving. Fortunately most of the I-Drive accidents are low speed so they tend to be fender benders.

I-4 on a Friday at around 9:00 pm is a speedway with a lot of aggressive drivers weaving in and out. it reminds me of the AC Expressway on a Friday night. During rush hour it's generally too congested for aggressive driving and more like a parking lot than a raceway.

I've lived in four states and driven in every major US city and all 48 contiguous states (several times or more in each), and worst drivers overall are in Rhode Island and M-ass. Best (safety, courtesy) are in some of the mid-west states--OK and KS come to mind--as well as Oregon and Washington.

Most aggressive, for sure would be downstate NY (Rockland/Westchester, Five Boroughs, and Western LI) and Northern and Central NJ as well as parts of Miami.

Worst traffic snarls go to the DFW Metroplex, Washington DC, and the entire LA/Inland Empire/OC area. Runners up to Atlanta, Northern NJ (especially Hudson and Bergen Counties), and Chicago.

Wrst driving anywhere in the US and it's territories and commonwealths would have to be in Puerto Rico. They are fast, aggressive, and just bad drivers.

And that is key in Orlando and it's problems.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Interestingly enough Orlando was ranked the 4th worst city for commuters in 2008.
In Depth: 10 Worst Cities For Commuters - Forbes.com

While at the same time it was ranked very low on the cities with the worst traffic and doesn't even make the list for worst intersections.
List: 100 Most Congested Cities - Forbes.com
Full List: America's Worst Intersections - Forbes.com

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

Yeah, me either. I hate Orlando traffic, but on the weekends - even roads like 408 and I-4 - they're not bad.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
And that is key in Orlando and it's problems.
I like what was asked earlier... we need some sort of census information about where people are ACTUALLY from. Not where Mom and Dad are from, but if they were born and raised here or somewhere else to prove you saying its latinos and North East people. Until that is proven, you are completley speculating

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I keep reading you talking about your subdivision as if it's relevent to the entire population of Orlando. It's not any more than mine is. (By the way, I don't have a single person from PR in my immediate neighborhood.) You also seem to hate your neighborhood, I can't imagine staying someplace that I was as miserable as you seem to be. It seems you might be happier if you moved.

You live in Clermont, in another county, which is a lot different from Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando