Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 21,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Ah I see so you live right by UCF and are wondering why all the bars near there cater to UCF...

There's a few places on Forsyth and Aloma area that probably have an older crowd but from the outside they all look like dive bars/motorcycle bars. Maybe GLS knows somewhere closer to you but thats sorta the Collegetown area.
I live in Avalon Park, a ways from the college. I have checked out bars in my area, figuring that students would be at the ones closer to the school. It seems that I can't get far enough away without driving across the county or up into Seminole County. I was just hoping that there might be "my kind of bar" closer to where I live. I'm probably going to check out the nightlife in downtown Orlando. At least it's all 408 and I-4 to get there.

As one of my coworkers liked to say, "Growing old ain't for sissies."

Thanks to all for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraSVT View Post
I'm looking for a place where I can have a couple of drinks, has decent music (I can't dance to rap), and maybe a few single ladies who actually look like they're adults (OMG, I'm getting old). I prefer casual places where I can relax.
The lounge at Seasons 52 sounds like it might be the place you are looking for. Plenty of cougars in that place.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Ah I see so you live right by UCF and are wondering why all the bars near there cater to UCF...

There's a few places on Forsyth and Aloma area that probably have an older crowd but from the outside they all look like dive bars/motorcycle bars. Maybe GLS knows somewhere closer to you but thats sorta the Collegetown area.
If you're talking about The Haven, it's a hard rock/metal club. Kinda divey, but surprisingly clean bathrooms.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Dancing will be the trick and I make no promises on dancing but for lounging:

Nah Dexter's started in Thorton Park and then Winter Park long before it headed out to Lake Mary. You can go to either one of those.

Blue Martini at Mall at Millennia I hear is good as are a lot of the places in the Dr. Phillips area for the older more sophisticated audience. Roy's for example gets a pretty good happy hour. For dancing there's always a good crowd of all ages at Holly & Dolly's (436 in Casselberry) though its usually a bit louder because the live music is usually blues. Tanqueray's (sp?) in downtown Orlando is another blues lounge with all ages inside. Tom and Jerry's is good on 17-92 in Winter Park. Hannibal's on the Square in Winter Park. The Wine Room on Park Ave. Big Daddy's Roadhouse (Corrine Dr on the border of Orlando and Winter Park). Legend's Sports Bar right by the Florida Hospital has great food and atmosphere though I'd rather go during Happy Hour when all the hospital workers are getting off. There's always a crowd at the Cigar place in downtown (not sure the name, never been). There's usually live jazz at Lake Ivanhoe and sometimes Lake Eola. The Grand Bohemian has a live jazz lounge that is supposed to be very nice, I'd like to check that out myself. In Altamonte is the Why Not Lounge inside the Holiday Inn which is actually supposed to be very good for an older crowd, never been to this one.
Good list, I'd also add Tastings, Funky Monkey wine bar, and Urban Flats, all downtown and with a good scene. Tastings has live music almost every night. Oh, and OLV in SoDo is another great place to hang out.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM

116 posts, read 459,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Good list, I'd also add Tastings, Funky Monkey wine bar, and Urban Flats, all downtown and with a good scene. Tastings has live music almost every night. Oh, and OLV in SoDo is another great place to hang out.
What's good on weekdays, like Tuesdays, Wednesdays, in terms of lounges and dancing? I am also in my 40's.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraSVT View Post
Yea gads! Isn't there somebody east of the 417 and in my age bracket that goes to bars? I'm starting to feel like I moved to a Quaker community!
You complain that the bars near UCF are packed with the wrong age group yet you think that you moved to a Quaker community?? I wouldn't expect Gainesville to have a large adult ultra lounge scene because it is a college town. The immediate area surrounding UCF is basically a large college town attached to the eastern suburbs. Venture off University & Alafaya Boulevards and you'll find some more sophisticated nightlife.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashelter View Post
What's good on weekdays, like Tuesdays, Wednesdays, in terms of lounges and dancing? I am also in my 40's.
I don't dance, so couldn't really help you there except maybe Blue Martini.

Tons of lounges that are still happening on Tuesday in the downtown area. Try Tastings, a bunch of the wall Street Plaza clubs--especially The Globe, Urban Flats downtown, the lounges in either Seasons 52, the Q Room in Clermont, the Wine Room in Winter park, the list goes on.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
The OP is right. Our areas lounges/bars/clubs are filled with college and even high school students. Mostly ranging from 16-24 (a lot of people use fake IDs and the security really doesn't care). But you can find the older crowd at restaurant bars and such. I don't know of anywhere in the area where its like a club and has older people dancing, but there are many bars here where older people go to socialize.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I see older ppl dancing at the bars with a DJ or band. There are even places downtown that are geared to the older crowd. The bigger clubs are a younger crowd which doesn't bother me. It depends what you like. The clubs downtown are having an 80's night street party which I'm sure will bring a 30's-40's crowd. It looks like fun.

http://www.churchstreetbars.com/
Church Street is going back in time this Saturday night! Join a thousand of your closest friends for the huge 80's street party. You'll enjoy 80's drink prices with 3-4-1 drinks starting at 10pm. Put on your hottest 80's attire and head to Church Street. You'll get access to the street party, Chillers, Big Belly, Latitudes and Antigua! We're the last stop on the big 80's pub crawl, so you won't be alone when you show up with your Flock of Seagulls hairdo. COSTUME CONTESTS TOO!!!!

IT STARTS THIS SATURDAY (7/17/10) AT 8PM.
33 & 41 West Church Street
Orlando, FL 32801
www.churchstreetbars.com

Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Another good place in Sanford that I just thought about is the Garage Bar. They have a Band there with an outdoor stage. It's got a crowd of 30,40, and 50. Ppl also dance there.

Route 46 Entertainment District®

I'm sure there is plenty downtown, but you all have to come over to Seminole County and you will fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando