Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
[b]Today’s Question(s):

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip?

What was the worst part about it?
There was no worst part for me. I loved school.

The best part was looking for a new lunch box!! I don't know why, but it was sooo important for me. Remember they had those little thermos inside that matched. They had Munsters, Spiderman, Looney Toones, you name it.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/redbird%20fall%202010/42920965.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Today’s Question(s):
So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backpacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?
Yes, and news items about people getting their kids vaccinated.

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?
I haven't seen that yet this year. Though I heard someone say they had seen something Christmasy.

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?
See above.

Bonus Question:
When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? What was the worst part about it?
Best: May sound weird, but the smell of fresh paper, new pencils, etc.

Worst: Summer (freedom when you're a kid) really was coming to an end again.

Extra Credit Question:
Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Would you recommend it to someone else?
I've actually had some spare time recently to sit down with a Complete Tales of Washington Irving.

His best known stories are Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. Naturally, he wrote a lot more than that.

Why, or why not?
I would recommend it, especially if you like history or nostalgia.

Why? Simply beautiful writing and often comic descriptions of human nature that hold true today. People haven't changed all that much.

Just for Fun:
August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today?
Cherry pie is a favorite! Come autumn, pecan is always welcome.

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month
Admit You’re Happy Month I admit to having many happy moments, but life is also always a challenge. We'll make it though.

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival) already?
Homemade Pie Day

Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
There was no worst part for me. I loved school.

The best part was looking for a new lunch box!! I don't know why, but it was sooo important for me. Remember they had those little thermos inside that matched. They had Munsters, Spiderman, Looney Toones, you name it.
Yes, good call. The lunch boxes with a wire clasp to hold that thermos in. Still have mine.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:49 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Christmas decorations are out in some stores.
I hated school nothing about it was good.
I really prefer cake, but I wouldn't turn down a good pecan pie.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Good afternoon, All! (Thanks, MWBW, again, for the QOTD! Hope you find your somewhat slower pace at work good!)

Today’s Question(s):

So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores?As the spouse of a teacher, I've already been out with her to BUY said school supplies!

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing?Not yet, but I'm sure we'll be haulin' it soon!

Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet?These, too!

Bonus Question:

When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? For some reason, I enjoyed putting fresh paper into binders...

What was the worst part about it? Signaled the end of Summer...

Extra Credit Question:

Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? Can't remember, but I have MNAY good ones awaiting retirement...

Would you recommend it to someone else?

Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Boston Creme pie!

Today In History:
1498 – Christopher Columbus lands on Isla Santa, off the coast of what is now Venezuela
1790 – The official date of the first US census, in which 3,939,214 people were enumerated
1876 – Colorado becomes the 38th US state
1902 – The United States buys the rights to the Panama Canal from France
1914 – Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I
1941 – The first Jeep is produced
1944 – Anne Frank makes the final entry in her diary
1960 – Chubby Checker releases “The Twist”
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the US, airing its first video “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles

Word of the Day:
Squinch \skwĭnch\
1 Noun: A structure, such as a section of vaulting or corbeling, set diagonally across the interior angle between two walls to provide a transition from a square to a polygonal or more nearly circular base on which to construct a dome.
2 Transitive Verb: To squeeze, twist, or draw together

August Is:
National Parks Month
National Literacy Month "E...e...ever since I took the Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course..." Sorry, couldn't resist. Literacy is a wonderful skill.
Admit You’re Happy Month
Romance Awareness Month
National Napping Month That's EVERY month for me!
What Will Be Your Legacy MonthHopefully, I'll be remembered for always doing the right thing...

Today Is:
Lughnasadh (Celtic harvest festival)
Homemade Pie Day
Spiderman’s Birthday
Girlfriends’ Day

Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,729 times
Today’s Question(s):
So with Labor Day just a little over a month away, how many of you have seen stacks of loose-leaf paper, boxes of pencils, rulers and backbacks filling the aisles at your favorite stores? Most definately

How many of you have seen Hallowe’en decorations and candy appearing? Not yet..and I don't want to.
Anyone noticed any Christmas decorations emerging yet? No

Bonus Question:
When you attended school, what was your favorite thing about the school supply shopping trip? I liked it all! Fun buying new things...notebooks, pencils, pens, memo pads, clothes
What was the worst part about it? probably lack of funds

Extra Credit Question:
Since this is National Literacy Month, what is the title of the last book you read? I havent read a book in a very long time....shameful as it may sound
Just for Fun:
August 1 is Homemade Pie Day, and I love-love-love to make pies! What kind of pie shall I make for you today? Strawberry rhubarb, raspberry, lemon meringue, chocolate cream, apple, pecan........shall I go on...you will be very busy...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics