Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:32 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Yeh thats great untill youre in an area where this device is on and somebody has a heart attack and it takes a few mins to get to a phone and that person subsequently died and whoever owned the device is sued for everything theyre worth.
Have people so lost the ability to locate and operate a land line in the vent of an emergency? If you are in an area where your phone conversations would be bothering others (store, theater, any other building), I would assume that there would be a land line close by..

What would happen if they hit a "dead spot" in the same scenario- who would they sue then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,584 times
The problem isn't with technology, it's with a lack of common courtesy. When you have children it's nice to be available to them whenever they need you. If people would just think about the people around them cell phones would not be a problem. I appreciate my kids being able to reach me anytime. I used to be a smoker too but I was not ignorant about it. I would never smoke around people who didn't smoke. It was just those two little words that people today seem to have such a problem with "Common Courtsey"

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I agree with you northcountrygirl, I leave the area when I need to talk on the phone, other people are there to enjoy what they came for, not to listen to my end of a conversation.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Have people so lost the ability to locate and operate a land line in the vent of an emergency? If you are in an area where your phone conversations would be bothering others (store, theater, any other building), I would assume that there would be a land line close by..

What would happen if they hit a "dead spot" in the same scenario- who would they sue then?
I'm afraid they have. I need to justify why I pay this $xx.xx per month for this cell phone because it could save my children or save someone's life, or "insert emergency here".

What about what it's doing to the BEES PEOPLE! I'm no tree hugger but the other day at work, I started noticing honey bees. It's like my mom and my wife's sister's husband's dad both agree that cell phones are killing or disabling the bees ability to pollenate the plants and what-not, and we're all GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I was so relieved to finally see this honey bee flying around my window at work- that I smashed it with a magazine. Then the next day, our front door at work had like 500 honey bees flying around it. In the warehouse, they were all up flying around the ceiling. Later on, they were flying around and trying to get at the flourescent lighting, but they didn't look too whoopie. You know, they didn't have all of their dogs on one leash, they looked like they stayed on the Tilt-A-Whirl a bit too long. Well later that day, this was about a week ago, they all eventually died.http://bestsmileys.com/crying/15.gif (broken link)

What were we talking about? Oh yeah. I've taken Standard First Aid and Adult CPR/AED many a time and am currently the designated one at my place of work I think (oh man, I gotta renue this thing!), and what you do in an emergency is this: get to the person if your safety isn't threatened and assess what's going on, if their still in danger and how and who is going to respond to the victim, then you look for their vitals, then you seek out people nearby, "YOU, CALL 911!" etc., so if there's a real emergency, I think we're all covered. If it just so happens to be YOUR cell phone that saves the person's life, then goodie goodie for you.

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-06-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: sses and forgot the C

Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I wouldnt sue if the phone was in a "dead spot" because there is no service. I would however, if I was in an area with service but it was blocked by a device.

I dont think people have lost the ability to hunt down a landline, but youve got to remember, every second counts. If you can call as soon as somebody has a heart attack, rather than two minutes after the fact (while hunting down a landline) you have a better chance of saving that persons life.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
My cell is on vibrate any moment I am outside the house. Simple and problem solved.

While I hate that many people do not have the manners to use their cellphone politely, I would no suggest of using such devices.

Currently, they are illegal in the USA. Even if it is made legal, I see such devices as safety issues, in cases of emergencies. In case something happens, criminals know that no one can dial out.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I read an article several weeks ago about a city or state that has a new law requiring both hands on the steering wheel while driving. This was introduced because of the cell phone usage of most drivers in the area.

I always try and pullover to a side street or parking lot and then use the phone. Safety is important and the use of the cell phone is a valued tool to help, but only if it’s used correctly and safely. I believe I saw a driver a few days back that was trying to text message someone else. They drove for more then 5 minutes without putting the phone to their ear and continued holding it in one hand over the top of the steering wheel and looking at it while they drove on the freeway. I did not see them speaking so it must note have been a speaker type call.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 35,490 times
Thankful I live in an area where the cell coverage is shoddy at best. We don't have many people here that run around with the things stuck to their.. ears. Even when there is coverage, it still seems most people don't use them as some kind of fashion accesory, and limit using the phone to emergencies, or when a land line is not available. My friends from CT and MA call on cell phones at all hours to chat about stupid stuff- what they are buying at the grocery, how fast they are driving, the color of the sky- stupid stuff. I can't imagine any of my Maine friends/relatives calling like that- in fact I can't imagine any of them calling from a cell phone about anything that wasn't of an emergency nature..

Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterman View Post
Thankful I live in an area where the cell coverage is shoddy at best. We don't have many people here that run around with the things stuck to their.. ears. Even when there is coverage, it still seems most people don't use them as some kind of fashion accesory, and limit using the phone to emergencies, or when a land line is not available. My friends from CT and MA call on cell phones at all hours to chat about stupid stuff- what they are buying at the grocery, how fast they are driving, the color of the sky- stupid stuff. I can't imagine any of my Maine friends/relatives calling like that- in fact I can't imagine any of them calling from a cell phone about anything that wasn't of an emergency nature..
lobsterman, i find this to be true in rural towns, and along the coast, but i also think it depends on what you do for work,,,some folks talk on the phone half the day,,with co-workers or clients.
(by the way, lobsterman was my original aol name, use to fish out of bristol area yrs ago) anywheres near you?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
2) people who talk on the cell while they're in the ladies' room.
I've never understood this....can you not wait until your done to answer your phone. Or if you are on the phone & you gotta go, tell the person you will call them back. Me personally, I will ignore the phone if I've gotta go. If its important they will either call you back or leave a message.
When I'm at work, eating at a restaurant or at the movies, I either turn my phone off or on silent/vibrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics