Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM

44,362 posts, read 20,070,158 times

Advertisements

Happy Friday, kids! Do you
have trouble remembering people's names? Today's Tip
might help you with that, so scroll on down!

HOW TO REMEMBER NAMES

You can improve your ability to remember names if you follow these four steps:

1. Commit. Begin by making a commitment - a conscious decision - to remember people's names. Don't let yourself off easy, blaming a "bad memory." Forgetting names is due less to a bad memory than to a lack of application. Tell yourself - because it's true - that you can remember names if you want to and if you work at it. Before going to a meeting or a party or anywhere you might meet people, remind yourself of your commitment. And recommit yourself: "I will make my best effort to remember the names of the people I meet."

2. Concentrate. You can only remember what you observe in the first place. If you are distracted or if you aren't paying attention, you won't register the person's name so you can't possibly remember it. Concentrate, then, on 1) paying attention to the person's name when you first hear it, and 2) forming an impression of the person.
  • Listen to the person's name. If you miss it or find a few second later than you've already forgotten it, say, "I'm sorry I missed your name. Can you give it to me again?" If you still have trouble with it, say, I'm sorry, but would spell that out for me?"
  • Get a clear, detailed impression of the person. The more vividly you observe people's physical characteristics, the more likely you are to remember them. Use all of your senses to form the most striking impression possible.
3. Repeat. Repetition helps engrave the name in your memory.
  • Use the name immediately.
  • Repeat it silently to yourself.
  • Comment on the name, if possible.
  • Use it occasionally in the conversation without overdoing it.
  • Use it when leaving.
  • Write it down afterwards.
For the rest of the hints, here's the web site from when this post came: How to Remember Names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Ah man I need this tip! Thanks .....uh..................... ..........Pam!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
You need to be able to concentrate to do this.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
I have always been horrible at remembering names. A face yes, a name no. The thing that's worked best for me is to repeat it to them as I shake their hand... 'Oh So and So, it's really nice to meet you'. .... and then to match their name with something... So I think of the face with the hint I've given the name... might be the location of where we met, they look like an eggplant to me... I dunno... but I try to associate their name with something in my head... sort of like a picture password. lol This post probably only makes sense to me......

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You need to be able to concentrate to do this.
Yep, count me out!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM

44,362 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I have always been horrible at remembering names. A face yes, a name no. The thing that's worked best for me is to repeat it to them as I shake their hand... 'Oh So and So, it's really nice to meet you'. .... and then to match their name with something... So I think of the face with the hint I've given the name... might be the location of where we met, they look like an eggplant to me... I dunno... but I try to associate their name with something in my head... sort of like a picture password. lol This post probably only makes sense to me......
Makes sense to me, Coastal! It's pretty much what the expert said to do. If you follow the link to read the 4th hint, which has to do with association, there are some rather bizarre examples, but we have to do whatever it takes to help us remember those names. I'm terrible at it, and I do know I have to work harder at it.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Makes sense to me, Coastal! It's pretty much what the expert said to do. If you follow the link to read the 4th hint, which has to do with association, there are some rather bizarre examples, but we have to do whatever it takes to help us remember those names. I'm terrible at it, and I do know I have to work harder at it.
Well, at the rate my DYK says we're losin' brain cells, I don't hold out much hope of it working for me!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
Great tips, Pam. I use word association to remember things and names. I don't know when I started doing that but it was a long time ago.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Remember faces yes, names no, and it's all due to todays DYK question about losing all those brain cells every day. Uh, who'd you say you were...

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Working in a long-term care/rehab facility, there's 55 rooms, Bed B and Bed A.

And there's always a turnover of residents in the rehab area I work.

I'm excellent at numbers, horrid at remembering names for any longer than 1 second, and when I have to tell the nurse someone needs some pain medication I merely say: 50B needs a pain shot.

And then, what happens when you run into a nurse who is very poor at numbers and superbly gifted with remembering names? You guessed it, a return trip to that patient's room to check the names outside the door!
And? If I'm distracted along the way, returning to the nurse, perhaps one more repeated trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics