Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Happy Friday, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip..........

Finding A Contractor for Home Repairs

The biggest mistake people make when hiring a contractor is not doing the proper research ahead of time. Arm yourself with a short list of plumbing, electrical and HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) contractors. Start with neighbors and friends, and ask for names of contractors they've used, or ask co-workers. Don't wait until you have an emergency to develop your short list!

Once you have some contractors' names, call and ask the following and get the answers in writing:
  • Are estimates free?
  • Is there a minimum charge or trip fee?
  • May I have a copy of your business license and insurance verification?
  • Is the company bonded?
  • How long has the company been in business?
Remember, if the offer sounds too good to be true; it probably is. Some red flags that signal trouble are:
  • A contractor saying it's a one-time offer;
  • A quoted price that is extremely cheap;
  • A post office box used as a business address;
  • A business license that the state says doesn't exist.
One other thing - Don't bother asking a contractor for referrals because you'll only be given phone numbers of happy customers, not dissatisfied ones.

Source: Dare to Repair by Sussman & Glakas-Tenet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Good tip, Pam.

It's usually a very expensive undertaking and it's important to hire people who know what they are doing and are reputable.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,140,827 times
My DH is a contractor, and IMO, a very good one at that.

Yes he gives free estimates
I wish he would charge for a trip fee.
He is bonded, licensed, and he and his employees are insured.
He is more expensive than most, but his work is guaranteed.
Yes he has references, and is referred by many.
He is honest, and his word is his bond.
If he says he'll be there at a certain day & time, you can bank on it.
He is meticulous about cleaning up after himself on a job, it always looks better after he is finished.
He's been a contractor for 40+ years and is second generation. His son, who works for him is 3rd generation.

I am very proud of him, he is an artist in his work.

Don't expect to change your mind on things, in the middle of a job, and not pay extra for it.
If damage was caused by your little Jimmy or Fido the dog, the warranty is null & void, and you will get charged.
You will prolly get a cheaper bid from Manuel the wet-back, go ahead and hire him. You will eventually frantically try to find my DH's number later to fix it.
Office is closed from 6 P.M. Friday, until 8A.M. Monday.
When he says he is taking two weeks vacation, please do not call when we are hiking in Colorado, and expect him to answer the friggin' phone.
We do not have a 401 K.
Our health insurance premium is off the charts.

Because he has to be kind all day long to customers, architects, contractors, and bank employees, He often times comes home in a pi$$y mood.

So if you find a contractor that is honest, hardworking, dependable and talented, please refer him out to anyone you know!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
Pam great tip...may I get your phone number so if I perhaps forget I can call you to get this info again....

Promise to give you a very good referral

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
My DH is a contractor, and IMO, a very good one at that.

Yes he gives free estimates
I wish he would charge for a trip fee.
He is bonded, licensed, and he and his employees are insured.
He is more expensive than most, but his work is guaranteed.
Yes he has references, and is referred by many.
He is honest, and his word is his bond.
If he says he'll be there at a certain day & time, you can bank on it.
He is meticulous about cleaning up after himself on a job, it always looks better after he is finished.
He's been a contractor for 40+ years and is second generation. His son, who works for him is 3rd generation.

I am very proud of him, he is an artist in his work.

Don't expect to change your mind on things, in the middle of a job, and not pay extra for it.
If damage was caused by your little Jimmy or Fido the dog, the warranty is null & void, and you will get charged.
You will prolly get a cheaper bid from Manuel the wet-back, go ahead and hire him. You will eventually frantically try to find my DH's number later to fix it.
Office is closed from 6 P.M. Friday, until 8A.M. Monday.
When he says he is taking two weeks vacation, please do not call when we are hiking in Colorado, and expect him to answer the friggin' phone.
We do not have a 401 K.
Our health insurance premium is off the charts.

Because he has to be kind all day long to customers, architects, contractors, and bank employees, He often times comes home in a pi$$y mood.

So if you find a contractor that is honest, hardworking, dependable and talented, please refer him out to anyone you know!
Does your DH travel

Thanks Pam for some great tips

Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
I feel blessed to live in an area that isn't so huge that if a person runs a shoddy operation word gets around very quickly. So far we have been pleased with work we have had done by local people. I have not tried the Home Depot and Lowes people for anything but have heard some have not been too happy.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Excellent tips and advice, Pam. I remember all too well after a hail storm in CO some fly by night contractors ripping people off for roof repair. Down here when I run across good companies, I let them know that I have people asking me all the time for recommendations and I'll shoot them the business. Do a good job and you get the referral; do a lousy job and nada.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Good tips.

One more thing...do not, I repeat do not pay a contractor before the job is complete.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good tips.

One more thing...do not, I repeat do not pay a contractor before the job is complete.
Yes absolutely!! This is where a lot of people get into trouble and lose their butts. I watch Holmes on Homes all the time on HGTV and he's always fixing someone else's screw ups and the homeowners are out thousands of dollars. I love that guy!

Thanks for the tips Pam!!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I do, Sweetie Pie! You certainly know all the trials and tribulations that a contractor goes through. The fly-by-nights make things more difficult for the honest and skilled contractors, and they make people less trusting of contractors in general. A good contractor truly is an artisan and worth his/her weight in gold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics