Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,345,977 times

Advertisements

Good Sunday morning to all my QOTD buddies! It finally feels a bit like spring in South-Central Wisconsin this weekend, so much so that MRBookworm fired up his brand-new new smoker and made a to-die-for smoked pork shoulder for supper Saturday night. Mmmmm…. I think that is rapidly going to become a weekend tradition, and a mighty tasty one it is, too.

We’re in for a rainy Sunday here, so it’ll be an indoors kind of a day. I’ve got the work laptop and a whole stack of paperwork to get through anyway, so it’s just as well the day isn’t predicted to be a gorgeous one; I’d never be able to force myself to stay inside working on spreadsheets if the sun was shining outside.

But before I go dive into spreadsheets again, let’s spend a bit of time chatting about:

Today’s Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family are golfers?

For those who golf, what’s the best score you’ve ever gotten?

Have you got any funny golfing stories that you’d like to share?

Bonus Question:

How long would it take you to find a safety pin in your home?

What’s the most unusual way you’ve ever used a safety pin?

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood?

For the QOTD folks in the southern hemisphere, have the leaves fallen from the trees in your neighborhood?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world?

Care to tell us about it? (Remember, please, this is a PG forum!)

Today in History:
837 – Halley’s Comet and Earth experienced their closest approach to one another, as the comet passed a mere 3.2 million miles from Earth
1606 – The Charter of the Virginia Company of London is granted by James I of England, with the purpose of establishing colonial settlements in North America
1816 – The US Government approves the creation of the Second Bank of the United States
1866 – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is founded in New York City by Henry Bergh
1874 – The first Arbor Day is celebrated
1912 – The Titanic leaves port in Southampton, England on her first and only voyage
1916 – The Professional Golfers Association of America (PGA) is created in New York City
1979 – The Red River Valley Tornado Outbreak: a tornado tears through Wichita Falls, Texas, killing 42 people

Word of the Day:
Tuckerization \tŭk ər ī zā shən\ Noun

The act of using a real person’s name in an original story as an in-joke. Derived from Wilson Tucker, an early science fiction writer who often used his friends’ names for characters in his stories.

Today Is:
National Sibling Day
Encourage a Young Writer Day
Golfers Day
Cinnamon Crescent Day
Safety Pin Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Today’s Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family are golfers? Not me. Crazy people chasing their balls all day. Sheesh.

Bonus Question:

How long would it take you to find a safety pin in your home? 30 seconds.

What’s the most unusual way you’ve ever used a safety pin? Holding frost blankets together for outdoor plants.
Extra Credit Question:

For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood? Yep, many.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world? Many years ago.

Care to tell us about it? (Remember, please, this is a PG forum!)[/b] Bowling for dollars.

Happy Sunday to all.

Last edited by wit-nit; 04-09-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,837,886 times
Today’s Question(s):

Bonus Question:

How long would it take you to find a safety pin in your home? A while..
What’s the most unusual way you’ve ever used a safety pin? I'm not tellin'

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood? No spring here yet on the prairies in Canuckaland
For the QOTD folks in the southern hemisphere, have the leaves fallen from the trees in your neighborhood?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world? Playing music, playing games, just playing??? I don't remember..Care to tell us about it? (Remember, please, this is a PG forum!)

Today in History:
837 – Halley’s Comet and Earth experienced their closest approach to one another, as the comet passed a mere 3.2 million miles from Earth
1606 – The Charter of the Virginia Company of London is granted by James I of England, with the purpose of establishing colonial settlements in North America...The English loved colonizing everything
1816 – The US Government approves the creation of the Second Bank of the United States
1866 – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is founded in New York City by Henry Bergh Too bad it's still necessary... Don't understand people who are cruel to animals
1912 – The Titanic leaves port in Southampton, England on her first and only voyage
1916 – The Professional Golfers Association of America (PGA) is created in New York City
1979 – The Red River Valley Tornado Outbreak: a tornado tears through Wichita Falls, Texas, killing 42 people

Word of the Day:

The act of using a real person’s name in an original story as an in-joke. Derived from Wilson Tucker, an early science fiction writer who often used his friends’ names for characters in his stories.

Today Is:
National Sibling Day
Golfers Day
Cinnamon Crescent Day
Safety Pin Day

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday. I needed a break from working on my paper, so decided to head on over to CD... Thanks MWBW for the QOTD.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,933,135 times
Today’s Question(s):

Certainly not me!

Bonus Question:

5 Minutes!
as a straight pin for cleaning pilots and orifices!

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world?
Yesterday!

Took Gdaughter to the local airfield to see the blimp and then to a Mission's Park. Then to Mc D's for an ice cream cone!

Today in History:
1606 – The Charter of the Virginia Company of London is granted by James I of England, with the purpose of establishing colonial settlements in North America
1866 – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is founded in New York City by Henry Bergh

Word of the Day:

Today Is:
National Sibling Day
Golfers Day
Cinnamon Crescent Day
Safety Pin Day
Thanks MBW!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,487 times
Wow, I just woke up from a brief afternoon nap and here's the QOTD already! Thanks MWBW.

Today’s Question(s):

Not this chook... no way, no how

Bonus Question:

Zero seconds, I can see one right here on the desk.

I've used them from time to time to hold a part of a curtain to the loops on the curtain track when I can't find a proper hook thingy

Extra Credit Question:

Nope, not yet! Still very summery here...

Just for Fun:

Today, yesterday, the day before... LOL, well I wasn't doing what I love most in the world, but was just playing and doing what I felt like. What I love most in the world is travelling. Last trip I took was in November (just a quick few days in NZ); before that was June/July (to England, France and USA).

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Last edited by Kobber; 04-10-2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,657,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Sunday morning to all my QOTD buddies!
Bonus Question:
Good morning to you, too!

10 seconds.

Holding up ripped pant hem. (Not so unusual now, but the first time I ever did it, it was.)

Extra Credit Question:

Yes, the azaleas just finished blooming, and the Crepe Myrtles are pretty now. Also the Jasmine.

Just for Fun:

My favorite thing to do is read--and I get to do it every day.

Word of the Day:

Very interesting. I didn't know that.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 AM

44,386 posts, read 20,108,348 times
Today’s Question(s):
How many of our QOTD family are golfers? I don't know how many are, but I am not.
For those who golf, what’s the best score you’ve ever gotten? I golfed one time in my life. I was up to about 150, I think, when it got dark and we had to stop playing. LOL!
Have you got any funny golfing stories that you’d like to share? See above!

Bonus Question:
How long would it take you to find a safety pin in your home? About 10 seconds.
What’s the most unusual way you’ve ever used a safety pin? I used one today to temporary repair a broken necklace. It felt scratchy and annoying on the back of my neck, but it lasted through the day and no one could tell that my pretty necklace was actually held together with a safety pin.

Extra Credit Question:
For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood? Yes. In my neighborhood the daffodils and hyacinths are blooming; early-spring tulips are budding. Forsythias are just starting to bloom. Trees are still bare. It'll be a few weeks before our trees start to green up.

Just for Fun:
When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world? A very, very long time.
Care to tell us about it? (Remember, please, this is a PG forum!) For me, a day camping and hiking in the woods would be heaven on earth. Smelling fresh air, observing wildlife in its natural habitat, listening to the sounds of the forest, enjoying the free birdie symphony. Now THAT's living!

Word of the Day:
Tuckerization \tŭk ər ī zā shən\ Noun. The act of using a real person’s name in an original story as an in-joke. Derived from Wilson Tucker, an early science fiction writer who often used his friends’ names for characters in his stories.

Today Is:
National Sibling Day I love my sibs! Got to spend part of today with my sister!
Golfers Day
Cinnamon Crescent Day Ooooo ~ NOW we're talkin'!
Safety Pin Day Gotta have 'em!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-10-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 01:46 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,014,339 times
Today’s Question(s):

I have never golfed. Not even miniature golf.

Looks like I have to skip this question

When I used to work airport maint in Washington, there was a golf course next to the airport. One day this guy was trying to teach his wife/SO/friend/or whoever how to golf. She kept missing the ball or hitting it off the course. He looked like he would have rather been doing just about anything else besides trying to teach her how to golf.

Bonus Question:

Two days and one minute. Two days to fly home from Europe and one minute to locate the safety pin.

Nothing I can think of. I must lead a very boring life.

Extra Credit Question:

Hard to say. Have not been home since it has warmed up. I am guessing the leaves are starting to come out. Where I am at there are not many trees.

I was in the Southern hemisphere 2 days ago. It was about 90 degrees out. No sign of any leaves falling where I was at.

Just for Fun:

It has been about a year.

When I was working out of Baltimore, once in a while when I would not have any flights for a couple of days, I would hop in the car and just head out without any destination in mind. Sometimes it was just a day trip. Other times I would spend the night before heading back to Baltimore.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,434,103 times

Good morning CD'rs

Today’s Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family are golfers? Does it matter if theres a windmill on the course and you only get a putter and colored Balls?

Bonus Question:

10 seconds

Probly has something to do with a glass and a chunk of Hashish.
Hey, You asked

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you for whom April is in the springtime, are there any leaves or flowers on the trees in your neighborhood? Leaves, flowers, pollen, weeds.. It was freekin 90 something degrees yesterday.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you spent a day just playing, doing what you most love doing in the world? It's been a few years...

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Today Is:
National Sibling Day May his pubic hair become infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.
Golfers Day
Cinnamon Crescent Day Yummmy..
Safety Pin Day ... Why?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Today’s Question(s):

Only if we're playing putt putt.

Bonus Question:

Probably about 5 minutes. We don't have a lot of them, but I do know where the token 3 pins are kept.

Extra Credit Question:

Yup, in fact this is the big week. You can almost hear them popping out and opening up all around.

Just for Fun:

It's been too long. Maybe today would be a good day for that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics