Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:02 AM

39,140 posts, read 23,127,287 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Today is the 36th Great American Smokeout sponsored by the American Cancer Society to encourage smokers to quit.
Are you a smoker who would like to quit? I'm the only one in my family who has never smoked. or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in? My dad's current wife smokes occasionally and I wish she'd stop.

One of my family members quit a few years ago, and it was really tough. Do you know anyone who has successfully kicked the habit?
Both my parents and my siblings kicked the habit. Yay!

Maybe: "Pack in the pack" could be a slogan. I know, not so good.

Can you think of a slogan that might help a smoker to quit? I remember one from the 60s (I think from the American Cancer Society):
"Quit and join the unhooked generation." The commercial ended by showing a group of people kicking their heels in the air. Very clever, I thought.

Bonus Question:

Many of you remember the TV show Frasier and how the dad had an ugly, but comfortable, chair that Frasier hated.
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate? No

Is there something you like that others tolerate?
No

Inquiring Minds Question:

What timezone do you live in? Pacific
How many timezones have you been to in a single day? Three (flying from the west coast to visit family on the east coast, stopping off in Phoenix and then Dallas before landing in Newark, NJ).

Just for fun:

Years ago Barbara Walters famously asked Katherine Hepburn, "If you were a twee, what kind of twee would you be?"
Of course she said "tree," but in that special way she has of speaking.
So here's your chance to take a question from the well-known celebrity interviewer: If you were a twee what kind of twee would you be?
Anything evergreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,060,263 times
Here's some questions that fell out of a tree and conked me on the head, either that or a squirrel threw an acorn. That was a raccoon.

FYI, Spinx had two QOTDs and agreed to let me host Thursdays. Thanks Spinx! No problemo.

Today's Question:
Today is the 36th Great American Smokeout sponsored by the American Cancer Society to encourage smokers to quit.
Are you a smoker who would like to quit? Nope. or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in? I do, but he never will...

One of my family members quit a few years ago, and it was really tough. Do you know anyone who has successfully kicked the habit? Yes, after 20-something years - cold turkey.

Can you think of a slogan that might help a smoker to quit? YOU'RE KILLING YOURSELF. (No good???)

Bonus Question:
Many of you remember the TV show Frasier and how the dad had an ugly, but comfortable, chair that Frasier hated. love this show
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate? So many things...

Is there something you like that others tolerate? Don't think so. I have good taste.

What timezone do you live in? CST
How many timezones have you been to in a single day? Several, I think, when flying overseas.

Just for fun:
Years ago Barbara Walters famously asked Katherine Hepburn, "If you were a twee, what kind of twee would you be?"
So here's your chance to take a question from the well-known celebrity interviewer: If you were a twee what kind of twee would you be? I would say a willow because I'm tall with thin limbs, but I'm not sad and droopy. Hmmm.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,114,416 times
Today's Question:
Are you a smoker who would like to quit? or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in?
I've already smoked out...
One of my family members quit a few years ago, and it was really tough. Do you know anyone who has successfully kicked the habit?
Yes!
Can you think of a slogan that might help a smoker to quit?
It's much easier than you think!

Bonus Question:
Many of you remember the TV show Frasier and how the dad had an ugly, but comfortable, chair that Frasier hated.
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate?
All of it...
Me!

What timezone do you live in?CST
How many timezones have you been to in a single day?
2 or 3

Just for fun:
So here's your chance to take a question from the well-known celebrity interviewer: If you were a twee what kind of twee would you be?
I'd just be mwe..

Today in History:
1558 - Elizabeth I became Queen of England upon the death of Queen Mary this day and ruled Great Britain and Northern Ireland from 1558 to 1603 while England became a world power.
1800 John Adams was the 1st President to move into the White House
1851 - The U.S. Post Office issued the first postage stamp to depict an American eagle. First ever nationwide stamps were issued in July 1847 with portraits of Washington and Franklin.
1954 - Golfer Arnold Palmer signed a contract with Wilson Sporting Goods and became a pro.
1993 - The U.S. House of Representatives approved the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), by a vote of 234 to 200. The Senate voted 60 to 38 for approval of the legislation on November 20. The bill was signed into law by President Clinton on December 8, 1993. It took effect on January 1, 1994. Under NAFTA, the U.S., Canada, and Mexico become a single, integrated market with $6.5 trillion worth of goods and services annually.
2010 - A construction site in London revealed a Roman settlement filled with ancient artifacts and human remains

Today’s Word - this should have been the word on Monday when MWBW hosted.
bibliophage \BIB-lee-uh-feyj\ , noun;
1. An ardent reader; a bookworm.

Today Is:
Guiness World Record Day
Homemade Bread Day
GIS Day (Geographic Information Systems)
Great American Smokeout
World Peace Day
Thanks BJ great job!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,065,448 times
Today's Question:

Are you a smoker who would like to quit? or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in?

I don't smoke and I've never smoked on a regular basis. I've smoked a few cigars over the years on special occasions and I tried smoking a few cigarettes one time but I hated it...lol.

My father quit smoking after almost 20 years, cold turkey. That's been about 15 years ago and he never started smoking again.

Bonus Question:
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate?

No, I live alone.

Not now, however, many years ago I had this old chair that I got at a garage sale. When my sister came by for a visit and saw it for the first time she told me it was the ugliest chair she had ever seen. From that point on she called it "rawhide"....lol. It was indeed ugly but it was comfortable. My girlfriend at the time thought it was ugly too but it didn't bother her that much...lol.

What timezone do you live in? Central
How many timezones have you been to in a single day? 3

Just for fun:

I guess I would want to be a palm tree. They are beautiful and are found in tropical and sub-tropical climates. I like warm weather so I would be happy.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM

39,140 posts, read 23,127,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post

Can you think of a slogan that might help a smoker to quit? I remember one from the 60s (I think from the American Cancer Society):
"Quit and join the unhooked generation." The commercial ended by showing a group of people kicking their heels in the air. Very clever, I thought.
Come to think of it, the slogan for that commercial is actually:

"Kick the habit and join the unhooked generation."

That's why the people kicked their heels in the air at the end of the commercial. Now I get it!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,725 times
Today's Question:
Are you a smoker who would like to quit? or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in? No.

Yes, but it's an addiction that's hard to kick.

Can you think of a slogan that might help a smoker to quit? I don't know a smoker who doesn't want to quit, so I don't think a new message tilt the scales.

Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate? Is there something you like that others tolerate? I live alone.

What timezone do you live in? Pacific.
How many timezones have you been to in a single day? Probably 20 when traveling overseas.

If you were a twee what kind of twee would you be? I think I'd be a pohutukawa -- they spread as they age but are still beautiful.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,417,118 times
I'm jealous of your weather.

Today's Question:

Are you a smoker who would like to quit? or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in? My best friend of 30 years is trying to quit.

Yes, several of them.

Think of the money!

Bonus Question:
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate? I have a desk chair that people think is tacky. I love it. It's comfy.

Nobody here has to tolerate anything.

A lot when I went to Europe.

Just for fun:
Palm tree. That way I would always have something to eat.

Today in History:

1558 - Elizabeth I became Queen of England upon the death of Queen Mary this day and ruled Great Britain and Northern Ireland from 1558 to 1603 while England became a world power.
1800 John Adams was the 1st President to move into the White House
1851 - The U.S. Post Office issued the first postage stamp to depict an American eagle. First ever nationwide stamps were issued in July 1847 with portraits of Washington and Franklin.
That's ironic since Ben Franklin wanted our national bird to be a turkey.
1954 - Golfer Arnold Palmer signed a contract with Wilson Sporting Goods and became a pro. Class act.
1993 - The U.S. House of Representatives approved the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), by a vote of 234 to 200. The Senate voted 60 to 38 for approval of the legislation on November 20. The bill was signed into law by President Clinton on December 8, 1993. It took effect on January 1, 1994. Under NAFTA, the U.S., Canada, and Mexico become a single, integrated market with $6.5 trillion worth of goods and services annually.
2010 - A construction site in London revealed a Roman settlement filled with ancient artifacts and human remains

That would be me.

Today Is:
Guiness World Record Day
Homemade Bread Day
GIS Day (Geographic Information Systems)
Great American Smokeout
World Peace Day

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,878,730 times
Today's Question:

I quit on this day in 1981 - by accident. I had been hypnotized to help and my mother died the next dat - in May. Obviously I didn't quit, but after finally getting things together again I psyched myself up about it and finally decided to stop, At lunch on hte day I quit I found out it was Smokeout Day.

Bonus Question:

How many timezones have you been to in a single day? 3 or 4

Just for fun:

Tall

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,796,440 times
good evening.... questions and then bed ... keep smiling

Today's Question:
Are you a smoker who would like to quit? or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in? happy to say ... no smokers in this house

One of my family members quit a few years ago, and it was really tough. Do you know anyone who has successfully kicked the habit? yes

Bonus Question:
Is there a piece of furniture or an ornament that someone you live with likes, but you (barely) tolerate? not here.. none of it is mine

Is there something you like that others tolerate? nope

What timezone do you live in? eastern time
How many timezones have you been to in a single day? probably three

Just for fun:

If you were a twee what kind of twee would you be? cedar

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,363,475 times
FYI, Spinx had two QOTDs and agreed to let me host Thursdays. Thanks Spinx!

Yay for our new Thursday host! I'm delighted to see you in the permanent rotation, BJH, and I'm looking forward to your weekly shift.

I'm late joining the conversation today; it's been a busy one, between work, a bake sale at the office, and a test run of a new pie crust recipe (gluten-free) this evening. We've got a family member who just learned that they're gluten-intolerant, so we're doing some scrambling to figure out traditional Thanksgiving items that meet the new dietary requirements. Tonight is a trial of a GF pumpkin pie, tomorrow night I'm going to try a GF stuffing recipe, and GF gravy is on the agenda this weekend. With luck and favorable reports from the taste-testing process, we'll have our turkey-day lineup completely set by early next week.

Today's Question:
Are you a smoker who would like to quit?

I am thankful to say that this is one vice I never did acquire. I've got plenty of others, but smoking has never tempted me.

or Do you have a family member or friend you'd like to see pack it in?

You know, at this point, everyone I know who smoked has either quit or died.

Oh, I know it's tough. Our daughter tried multiple times before she finally kicked the habit for good about three years ago. I will be forever grateful to her significant other who told her "it's me or cigarettes, you can't have both;" she chose to give up the cancer sticks rather than him, and is nicotine-free to this day.

My spouse has commented many times that nicotine is the only drug that gets you to take 40 hits a day (a two-pack-per-day smoker is smoking 40 cigarettes). Even heroin doesn't get that much of a grasp on its addicts. No wonder people struggle so hard to quit!

I'm no advertising maven; that would be our son the marketing guru. I'm just a bean-counter who sees the cost, both economic and in health and length of life, of smoking. The habit doesn't hold up well in a cost/benefit analysis. Except for the tobacco companies, of course.

Bonus Question:

No idea what TV show you're talking about, but there really isn't anything in the house that I dislike.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, though nobody has ever actually said so.

What timezone do you live in?
Central
Goodness, I have no idea. I don't travel much.

Just for fun:

Heavens - I guess this is proof positive that I'll never be a celebrity, because I have no idea how to answer a question like that!

One of my favorites, BJH, thanks for including it today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics