Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM

27,375 posts, read 27,423,838 times

Advertisements

Oops I accidently deleted something I was going to edit.
I hear its one of the main causes for divorces these days, too. Some people are very capable of getting into trouble without some website doing it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,583,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Oops I accidently deleted something I was going to edit.
I hear its one of the main causes for divorces these days, too. Some people are very capable of getting into trouble without some website doing it for them.
This happened to a friend; he reconnected with a former flame who had moved overseas, his wife found out about the messages, and the rest needs no further explanation.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 20,406,035 times
We ALL judge others all the time, just that a lot of people don't want to admit it! If wife and I no longer want to be "friends" with a dude on FB because he is an Athiest, that is our choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Thats what I was thinking. The all Loving Christian Fortunately they are not all that way. One of the reasons why there are more and more Athiest everyday. I'm not an Athiest by the way, but it is not for me to judge them.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM

777 posts, read 1,875,532 times
Facebook is pure, unadulterated evil.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,491,559 times
[quote=robertpolyglot;23113336]
Then, you realize it's a lot like a continuation of the cliques from childhood. What you also realize is that there's an initial "thrill" in reconnecting with someone and it fizzles fast.

QUOTE]

Ironically I have recently noticed that with the folks I went to high school with, as well as folks I used to work with - not sure why I didn't see it till recently. Maybe I was too busy trying to keep my sisters inline on it??? Man, they embarass me every chance they get, the things they say and do (do I have to admit being related?)

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM

44,381 posts, read 20,102,658 times
I've never been interested in joining Facebook. Some people take it way too seriously.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times
Like some others upthread, I believe that Facebook is not good or evil in itself but only in the way you use it. It's been good for me because I can keep in touch with far-flung family members and school friends, hear their news and see their photos. I also reconnected with a childhood friend who nearly became my stepsister. I adored her and always wondered what happened to her. But I had no way to located her because I didn't know what her married name was, and a Google search under her maiden name turned up nothing. However I did locate her brother on Facebook. I checked his friend list, and voila! There she was. That was like a dream come true for me. Now we are Facebook friends.

My old college sweetheart found me on Facebook, too. That's a whole other story, but not the one you think. I used to carry a giant torch for this guy after we broke our engagement and he married someone else. That was 40 years ago. Yet he'd still call me every now and then out of the blue to sweet talk me and tell me that he still loved me. I used to fantasize that my life would have been so much better if only I'd married him.

Now he's posting odd misspelled comments that make me wonder if he's all right in the head. I posted a status update about getting frostbite from eating some frozen mango chunks, and he responded, "You're a lot more conservative than you think" and followed it with a semi-coherent anti Obama rant about our Constitutional rights. Then he posted a new comment that said, "I'm confused."

Under a photo of me hiking, he wrote that "Hi again, I watched you're [sic] school mates and remember how poor the [name of college] kids were. I beat them in footdall [sic], volleyball and other stuff. Plus I was cuter."

In this case Facebook has been a blessing because I realize how lucky I am not to have married this guy.

On the down side, I have some extremely religious relatives who are constantly posting self-congratulatory updates on their wonderful faith and their perfect marriages, their adorable children and grandchildren, etc. etc. ad nauseam. It's like getting one of those bragging Christmas newsletters every day. If I didn't truly like these people, I would have defriended most of them a long time ago!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 AM

38,955 posts, read 22,962,022 times
I like Facebook, for the most part. It helps me to stay in touch with my relatives who live overseas and in other parts of the country. I also have reconnected with many of the people I grew up with and went to school with, and it's interesting to see what they're up to now and how they've changed (in appearance) over the years.

There are several people on my Friends list from whom I've unsubscribed. Two of them are a couple in a long-distance relationship who post how much they love each other. I think that's nice, but it got a bit too annoying for me, so I unsubscribed from both their comments to my news feed. Another one kept posting these cartoons from "Maxine" (the old, grumpy lady you see on greeting cards), and it wasn't just one or two--it was more like 10! So she's another one from whom I unsubscribed.

I also unfriended and blocked an old high school friend of mine who was making these snide comments about some of my postings, which is too bad, because he and I were really good friends back in school.

I have to agree that Facebook can bring out the best--and the worst--in people.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Facebook is pure, unadulterated evil.
I disagree. I feel it is the people who make it that way who are pure, unadulterated evil.

I like Facebook, though I'm not obsessed with it. I'm on it a lot, sure. That doesn't mean I have disdain for anyone who doesn't have on. I'm 24 years old so I grew up in a time before the internet (I'm old I know haha*) and know life without Facebook. It's the new age, that's all. It's here to stay and unfortunately there will be some bad apples.

Shame you feel that way and hopefully you take a lighter approach to it in the future.

*sarcasm is fun

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,443,422 times
I have never seen Facebook, I must try and see if my machine is capable of accessing it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics