Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times

Advertisements

I have been on Facebook since late 08, on recommendation from a friend. That friendship actually broke up over expectations with Facebook (she expected me to chat with her every time I was on Facebook, and she would get mad if I turned chat off and she found out I posted to someone's wall or "liked" someone else's post, till I just defriended her and sent her a note that I couldn't take it anymore).

I encouraged another friend to get on Facebook, we used to be real close (known each other for 20+ years). It seems she has changed since she got on Facebook, and now talks to people on Facebook she never used to even like in high school, and people she used to always talk about behind her back now buddy buddy with. She also seems to be more of a partier now, and enjoys hanging out with all the "wine-o's" she re-connected with on Facebook.

As far as my husband, I encouraged to get on Facebook year ago, now he gets lost for hours on games and isn't paying as attention to bettering himself careerwise. He says he is all about improving himself to get a better job, but he spends most his spare time playing games on Facebook - I give up on trying to talk to him about it, no one likes a nag.

My sisters...this one is the worst, I talked them into it and the one is married and getting in touch with old flames, yet constantly bragging about herself and her life. The other is using it as a forum for her causes, and to bash and complain about people 24/7...including her ex-husband like almost every other day!

Wow - I have never seen a site bring out the worst in people. I wish I never recommended it to anyone. Has anyone else had a similar experience?? On a postive note, the kids in my family seem unscathed from their Facebook experience so far, and it hasn't had an effect one way or another...yet!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Excellent post for why I do not Facebook

Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I have been on Facebook since late 08, on recommendation from a friend. That friendship actually broke up over expectations with Facebook (she expected me to chat with her every time I was on Facebook, and she would get mad if I turned chat off and she found out I posted to someone's wall or "liked" someone else's post, till I just defriended her and sent her a note that I couldn't take it anymore).

I encouraged another friend to get on Facebook, we used to be real close (known each other for 20+ years). It seems she has changed since she got on Facebook, and now talks to people on Facebook she never used to even like in high school, and people she used to always talk about behind her back now buddy buddy with. She also seems to be more of a partier now, and enjoys hanging out with all the "wine-o's" she re-connected with on Facebook.

As far as my husband, I encouraged to get on Facebook year ago, now he gets lost for hours on games and isn't paying as attention to bettering himself careerwise. He says he is all about improving himself to get a better job, but he spends most his spare time playing games on Facebook - I give up on trying to talk to him about it, no one likes a nag.

My sisters...this one is the worst, I talked them into it and the one is married and getting in touch with old flames, yet constantly bragging about herself and her life. The other is using it as a forum for her causes, and to bash and complain about people 24/7...including her ex-husband like almost every other day!

Wow - I have never seen a site bring out the worst in people. I wish I never recommended it to anyone. Has anyone else had a similar experience?? On a postive note, the kids in my family seem unscathed from their Facebook experience so far, and it hasn't had an effect one way or another...yet!!!
I do not facebook, Only City-data. But I have had 2 people sit me down and ask me to join so they could have more friends, Ignoring my protests about not being interested in it. A lot of people air their dirty laundry or blog everything they do, Including what they are having for lunch. I enjoy social networking as i have a full profile on this site. I got into C-D and loved it. I never had an online profile or social network prior to this. I have seen people arguing in public on fb too and know of one relationship that got strained when the guy was chatting with his ex-gal every night.

C-D fits me just right.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,436 times
I have never been on Facebook. I'm not even remotely interested in connecting with people from my past. But I have several family members that spend hours every day on Facebook. They have tried to get me to join, but it's not going to happen. Strangely enough I accomplish more in a day than all of them combined

Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Yeah, I am friends with all those people.. on facebook. And they suck.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
NASHVILLE, Tenn (Reuters) - A Tennessee couple who "defriended" a woman on Facebook were murdered in their home by the jilted woman's father and another man, police said on Thursday.

Facebook "defriending" led to double murder, police say - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-defriending-led-double-murder-police-014442236.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I think you guys are taking facebook way too seriously.. you really think it changes people? lol

Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM

227 posts, read 420,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think you guys are taking facebook way too seriously.. you really think it changes people? lol
I tend to think people take on different personalities on Facebook.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Wow - I have never seen a site bring out the worst in people.
not even city-data?

about FB, i can't really relate. my good friends don't use facebook much.. it's mostly the lesser acquaintances. talking on there is basically broadcasting to everyone who knows me. I like it better in here.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
My wife uses it daily. She even created an account for me and tried to get me to use it.

I hated the experience of talking to people I chose not to hang out with in real life. Even communicating through it with family and people I like was a grueling experience. I don't need to talk to everyone every hour of the day..

I've had jobs where people got in trouble for things they posted (such as photos of them with patients..), and resented being told in interviews - you can't befriend them on facebook or see them outside of the facility.

I may fit the demographic of most facebook users, but I'm not one of those people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics