Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

In my senior years and with a very short time left along with a hearing problem reflect back to my childhood days and early time growing up. Many sounds for me have disappeared more then likely due to my living location.

WE live in different parts of the country so sounds will vary.

Loud noise to me is a terrible sound then again complete silence is another matter that some may have.

I miss the sound of a Rooster crowing before daylight.

I miss the sound of chickens clucking while clawing at the ground for tidbits to eat.

I miss the sound of the small town factory blowing it's horn at 12 PM Noon. (we set our clocks to that time)

I miss the sound of the small town factory blowing it's horn at the 3 PM shift change. ( my dad would be home soon for dinner)

I miss the sound of the train passing by that blew it's horn for the nearby street crossing also the passenger train that went by every day at a certain time of the day so we knew what time it was. (Our back yard went up close to the railroad tracks.)

I miss the sound of the cow mooing in the vacant farm field across from our house.

I miss the sound of the nearby church ringing it's bell before Sun morning service.

I miss the sound of the lawn water sprinkler Rainbird everyday that can be now heard occasionally when I drive by.

Just a few of my reflections from the past.

Would like to hear some comparisons that are sure to be out there.........things that I missed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
Has been a very long time since I've heard the things you mention such as a rooster crowing and Sunday church bells ringing. Late into the night when all was quiet but still awake, I could hear the of a train passing in the far distance and it was always a gentle warning sound of a long oooooooo then two short oo oo.

I think the sound I miss the most from my very early years is the sweet sound of my oldest sister's voice and her kindness. She was 12 yrs older than me and married and gone at age 17. She raised four healthy happy kids and passed away much too young.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Since I live in a rural town and with a railroad track about 150 yards from my house, I hear most of the sounds you mention, Steve. The trains go along to the storage facilities to pick up grains and corn so I hear the train and its warning blast when it crosses the road. I'm glad I live no closer to the tornado siren, which must be tested 2x daily--7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

The sound I miss most is the ocean lapping on the shore--not that I lived right on the ocean but on Girl Scout camping trips to a nearby area I could always hear the ocean.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
I lived on a fresh water lake as a little Tiny... Thunder would roll down the lake..
Cow bells as they came in the milking barn
The Rooster as you said and the chicks at the feeder..
The call of the Canadian Geese rafting on the lake Spring / Fall
The loons...and the call as they look for their mate.
Crack of ice as it breaks up on the lake early morning,we only had shore ice.
The sound of the DC-8 as it left the military base up the hill
The lonesome call of the horn from the locomotive in town late at night.. The military base had a old steam locomotive for base operations.
Church Bells on Sunday
The scream of the Volunteer Fire Departments siren,blowing the siren with different spacing intervals told every one where the fire was.. North -East-West-South of town..
The 4th of July Fireman's Parade in town..
The sound of a combine harvesting wheat in the field..
The county fair the midway alive with sound..

Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I miss the sound of gentle rain coming down on the roof with a cool breeze blowing through the windows.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the sound of the savings book closing shut after a deposit.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Raindrops........

Tree' leaves whisping in the wind.. One has to have tree's for that...

Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I miss the clinking sound of seltzer bottles in those compartmentalized wooden boxes as the delivery man hauled it off the truck.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
I miss the sound of my mother's voice ...

Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I miss laughter and conversation in the house. And beloved pets sounds that have past away. Those are the two most important ones to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics