Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

I love my fireplace. I've only had one for a few years and I can't get enough of it. It's a wood fire place and the kids and I like to sleep on the floor in front of it.

I'm always embarassed the first time I light it, because the neighbors see the smoke coming out of the chimney, even though it isn't very cold outside. A couple of times I have had to put the a/c on and many times I have to open the doors and windows to cool it down enough to build a fire.

Any other fireplace lovers out there? And can you make s'mores in the fireplace? I think it will be too messy, but the kids ask me to do that all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Right here HIF!!! Here I am ~ another fireplace lover!!! And it has to be a natural fireplace, no GAS FIREPLACES!!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I have a woodburning stove and wish it were a fireplace. Part of enjoying the fire itself is seeing the flames. I open the doors and put up a screen to enjoy the flames. I have fond childhood memories of sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace....especially after a bath.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
I love mine too. We have a wood burning in our cabin and we are the same way, as soon as the temperature hits 60 we are building a fire. We just had a house built and we put in a gas fireplace because we didn't want to mess to deal with. It is nice because we hit a button and it is on and when we go to bed we hit the button again. They have came a long way as far as looking nice but you still can't beat a wood burning. I love the smell. I guess I will have to settle for an outside fire pit.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,584,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I
I'm always embarassed the first time I light it, because the neighbors see the smoke coming out of the chimney, even though it isn't very cold outside. A couple of times I have had to put the a/c on and many times I have to open the doors and windows to cool it down enough to build a fire.

Thanks for the smile HIF....I find fires are mesmerizing as well as soothing, even in July

Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,072 times
I love my wood stove, it accounts for about 80% + of our heating which can be 6-7 months I will run it. Other times I have another wood stove I found in the dump in great shape and put it on my patio for the chilly nights and even winter, better than those chimea thingies real outdoor heat lol.

Once you get all your wood setup and stacked for the winter it is pretty easy to maintain and keep a fire going up to 15 hours a day which keeps the house warm all night and into the morning.

Best heating you can have nothing cozy about sticking your cold butt on a baseboard heater.

I am lucky the house I bought had a really nice one with glass doors and a screen, so I get the cozy fireplace effect as well.

Nothing better than a fireplace or stove....

Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
I love fireplaces! I love fireplaces! I love fireplaces!

one more time.. I love fireplaces!

I had one in Texas in my apartment complex... who uses a fireplace in Texas you ask? I DO!!! If it wasn't cold enough to make a fire (is it ever?) I stacked scented pillar candles in there and lit those in different layers... ooo so pretty so pretty.

I love fireplaces! I want a fireplace again!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
[
I had one in Texas in my apartment complex... who uses a fireplace in Texas you ask? I DO!!!

I think everyone in Texas has fireplaces. We looked at about 15 houses to rent and they all had em. Shoot people were running their fireplaces in our neighborhood in july when it was 100 degrees. (You could smell it) I need to go and get some wood for mine. As soon as I do mine is going to be on.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Smile Love a fireplace....

Another fireplace user in Texas!!!! Love my fireplace! Even though the Dallas area has mild winters, it is still plenty cold many times for a fire. We have gas fireplace now. Not quite as nice as a "natural log" fire, but cleaner and more convenient!

Sometimes though it truly ISN'T cold enough for a fire ... and you want one Like many Thanksgiving Days we were having company and I wanted a fire, but noooooooooooo...it was 80 degrees out!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
You most assuredly can make s'mores in the fireplace. You can also roast hot dogs & pop popcorn.

We just rented a house. It has a fireplace. Husband has been collecting wood since the day we moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics