Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,097,591 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Starshine, the earth says hello (from the musical Hair I believe...long ago)!

I remember playing my 8 track of the music from Hair in my car when Grammie was riding with me. She obviously was dancing in the seat although she always said she hated that "rock and roll" stuff. She also loved Elvis and Billy Graham too and loved to watch both on television. And, would grab her checkbook and make out a big check for Billy Graham every time she saw him.

Someone asked me what kind of eats Grammie liked to eat. She loved fried chicken and mashed potatoes as her very favorite meal. But coming from the farm, she liked all food because a farm family typically ate everything and anything. She absolutely loved Tang drink (which was originally made for the astronauts I think). Every morning she would cook herself an egg or two....usually fried with a broken yolk and fried hard, but sometimes she scrambled them and wanted one piece of white toast with real butter. Her coffee was taken black with no sugar. She loved berries, especially blackberries and was always wanting blackberry cobbler which she loved with real cream over the top.

Grammie was always talking about mangos. I thought she was talking about the fruit mangos, but nope that wasn't it....she was talking about mango peppers (green peppers). She loved mango peppers stuffed with a ground beef mixture she would make the same as a meatloaf mixture. But I remember the first time she told me she was going to make stuffed mangos.....I thought it was stuffed fruit....how awful sounding to me to have mango fruit stuffed with ground beef.

These are just a few foodie things about Grammie.....she could eat with the best of them!! And could cook anything believe me....any one who could make headcheese and churn butter and milk a cow was a power woman!

<*><*><*><*><*>

Grammie always believe in home therapies for about anything. I remember one day sitting with her and asking her to tell me a lot of those. I wrote them down so I could remember them. Here are a few that I wrote down......some I have used and found them useful and beneficial.

~~~~ Garlic oil can cure an earache. To make garlic oil, simmer three cloves of garlic in 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil for a couple of minutes then strain through a cheesecloth (or a tea strainer as I do). Store in the refrigerator (up to couple of weeks before throwing away) but warm slightly before putting in the ear.

~~~~ Turmeric eases pain. Sprinkle turmeric on food every day to keep from getting headaches. I once put 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of sweet tea for a headache. It got rid of the headache but tasted pretty bad. Before Grammie told me this, I thought turmeric was only for pickles!

~~~~ Joint pain as well as swelling and stiffness can be eased with ginger. Add a couple of teaspoons of ginger to food every day. I have made ginger tea before to help before I had knee replacement....it helped too.

<*><*><*><*><*>

This picture is of my three cousins standing in front of my sister's 1954 Chevrolet and my dad's old Buick in back of that. I loved my sister's old car....it was aqua and white and a beautiful car.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,909,340 times
Mango Peppers, I didn't know there was something called like that....

I love Mangoes!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,479,617 times
Interesting remedies Chickie.

As for the car aqua and white sound lovely- I reckon I can picture it.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,259,819 times
I keep fresh garlic in the house and add turmeric powder to food every day. Also have turmeric capsules.

Cute pic! My first car was a '57 Turquoise Chevy! It was eight years old when I bought it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,169,245 times
Grammie's foods sound so heavenly! I love everything that you've mentioned here that Grammie used to make!

I also like the garlic oil in the ear trick. lol...that's cool!

Thanks, hot chickie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics