Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!
How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? With a cookout and in the evening we see a fireworks show.

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence? Yep

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? I do and I can.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? Several times.

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice. French horn. I learned in school.

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. Informal group of local pickers. That is traditional players on guitar, mandolin and violin.

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! Just did.

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS QUESTIONS
Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best?
Thin crust, Canadian bacon or pepperoni, olives, regular sauce and cheese. Had pizza recently with basil and pepperoni. Very good.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? Very seldom. Pizza ought to be good the way it is imo.

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? Coke is my favorite. But I usually have water instead.

NATURE QUESTIONS

I recently saw the episode of The Andy Griffith Show in which Aunt Bea made Opie plant some spinach seeds because she thought it would be educational.

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? Yes, as a school project we grew some garden vegetables.

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? Only added to an existing one.

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? Elms, a pine, crepe myrtles.

Have you ever planted a tree? several

TODAY IS:

Independence Day (U.S.)
National Barbecue Day

Step right up for BBQ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:58 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay!

today i have an exam... sigh

Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

We enjoy a diversity of members here from many parts of the world. Today is Independence Day in the U.S. Let's hear a little about everyone's traditions for celebrating Independence day in their respective countries.

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day?

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence?

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence?

More than the independence we celebrate the unification (the 17th of march), and the day of the republic (the 2nd of june). the unification is celebrate practically only in years like the 50th anniversary, the 100th and the 150th and usually is not a day that we pass at home. instead the day of the republic is a national festivity, so we are always at home the 2nd of june. In that day we remember the beginning of the republic after the referendum in 1946. that day is famous for the "frecce tricolore" http://www.relaisantichesaline.it/public/blog13.jpg and the military parade in rome.

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem?

I know the first stanzas, the one that are usually sung. at the middle school i also learn how to play it at the flute. i don't sing so well, but i can sing it.
i don't know all the word of the stanzas after the 1st (because they are never sung), but they have some interesting parts.

if you are interested, here there is the full text and translation
Italian National Anthem: Italian With English Translation.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert?

No, but i'd like to

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice.

that's difficult... maybe the violin, i like his sound.

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please.

my old high school concert for the end of the year, it was really funny.

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it!

never anything serious...

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best?

that question make me depressed, because i can't eat milk, and so neither mozzarella (that is the cheese over the pizza). what a degenerate italian am i?
however, usually i have pizza with just tomato sauce and some ham. however the thin one, cooked at wooden fire in the italian way.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it?

no, pizza MUST be simple.

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza?

orange soda

NATURE QUESTIONS

I recently saw the episode of The Andy Griffith Show in which Aunt Bea made Opie plant some spinach seeds because she thought it would be educational.

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow?

i live in the countryside, we still have a vegetable garden. we grow the most of the vegetable we eat.

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden?

see above

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard?

in our garden there are some trees, some are decorative other are fruits plants.

Have you ever planted a tree?

When i was little at school there was a project that make all the children to plant a little tree. then we were supposed to water them, but we usually forgot it... just a few of those tree survived.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

We enjoy a diversity of members here from many parts of the world. Today is Independence Day in the U.S. Let's hear a little about everyone's traditions for celebrating Independence day in their respective countries.

We usually stay home, watch the fireworks and other patriotic celebrations on TV, and have a Fourth of July picnic-type meal of hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans and/or corn on the cob.
If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence?

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence?
Spoiler
"When in the course of human events . . ."

Oops, when I used the quote function my browser showed all the HTML codes and formatting including the spoiler, so I have to say yes. But if I hadn't seen the spoiler, I don't think I would have been able to recall the first words.

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem?
Yes, and yes.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Many times, and when I was in high school, I played in the school orchestra.
If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice.
I would choose the instrument I played in school, the bassoon. It has a wonderful warm sound and only the violin has a larger range. I wasn't very good, but I loved the instrument so much and still do.
Does opera count? I went to see Show Boat at the San Francisco Opera last week.
If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it!
I've attended free opera concerts in Golden Gate Park, band concerts in city parks, rock concerts in Central Park and the San Francisco Symphony's Fourth of July pops concert.

I like a vegetarian pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven with mushrooms, roasted red and green bell peppers, zucchini or eggplant, pesto sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.
Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it?
Yes, I like red pepper flakes but I don't add extra Parmesan.
A glass of Zinfandel.

NATURE QUESTIONS

No, I don't think I ever did that except for the old standby, avocado seeds in a juice glass with toothpicks.
No, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to gardening.
If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard?
There's no yard in the front but there's a forested park right across the street with plenty of tall trees, mostly eucalyptus, Monterey pine, cedar and junipers. There is only a very small, steep yard in the back, but there are lots more tall trees on the hill behind the house.
No, I have never done that.

Thanks, Pam!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-04-2014 at 03:16 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Hi Pam…enjoy your 3 day weekend

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? No traditions here. We can usually see fireworks across the mountain from our patio We have been invited to a big get together at a church park every year….tonight we "may" go

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence? Now I do

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? Most of it.

Sad…we learn those things at such a young age and then it is gone if we don't refresh our memories or watch sprots

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? No.

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. Band?? It's been many years. My last concert was back in 1998…Shania Twain. I hate crowds so I would rather see the show/concert on TV now.

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! When I was younger I saw The Pirates Of Penzance in an outside theater. I also saw Donna Summer in a park…and no it wasn't Macarthur's Park

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? Mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and lots of veggies I haven't had pizza in over 6 months. I'll make some in the Fall when it isn't so hot out

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? pepper flakes and garlic.

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? Just a few sips of some kind of cola. I don't drink soda but that is the rare time that I like a little.

NATURE QUESTIONS

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? Not when I was a "little" kid I was a big kid of 41 or so before I planted my first seed. Now I'm addicted

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? Yes Here is a picture of my veggie garden from last week

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? There are many different trees on my land. I have no idea all the different kinds. In my immediate yard my DH and I have planted Leyland Cyrpess, Arborvitae(the deer ate those), peach, plum and cherry trees.

Have you ever planted a tree? Many times and many trees.

Have a great weekend and be careful!!!

Last edited by ylisa7; 07-04-2014 at 04:42 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 05:00 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,053,589 times
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

If you live outside the U.S., on which day do you celebrate your country's Independence? we have Canada Day on July first with festivities in every city all over Canada,ending with spectacular fireworks

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? Can you sing the anthem? yes I know the German and Canadian Anthem by heart

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? yes as a child I went with my parents regularly

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? Explain your choice. the trumpet,just love the sound of it

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. has been quite a while

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! again it was ages ago

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? I like Vegetarian pizza,thin crust made from Durum flour/bran/flax seed,homemade tomato sauce with sauted onions and garlic,bell peppers,olives,mushrooms,tomatoes,green chili,onions,old grated Canadian cheddar cheese

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? no I don't

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? that would be a beer

NATURE QUESTIONS

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? yes as a child I was allowed to help my father planting flower seeds

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? since I have my own home I plant yearly flowers and vegertable

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? this is a new home so we have balsam fir,and 2 Maple trees and a Chanticleer pear tree for now

Have you ever planted a tree? yes DH and I planted 3 years ago a Maple tree from a helicopter seed and my gosh has it grown

TODAY IS:
Independence Day (U.S.)
Independence From Meat Day
Invisible Day
National Barbecue Day
Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do!

HAPPY 4.th
JULY !

[/color]

Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

Anymore I just stay home. I live in an area with lots of really tall trees so I doubt if I will get to see the fireworks display tonight. Back in the good old days I would buy a bunch of fireworks.

Stinky cheese and beer for all men?

I know the words. Can I sing it? Most people would tell you I can not. However I do not do any worse than the so called superstars that go out and butcher the anthem before sporting events.

BONUS QUESTIONS

I have. The Philadelphia Philharmonic was heading overseas for a tour. On their way up to Anchorage Alaska to catch their overseas bound flight, they scheduled a stop in Sitka and put on a concert for us. Sitka was only a small town of 7500 people yet could draw some mighty fine talent. Not sure if it still happens but when I lived there the worlds best of the best classical musicians would spend their vacation there and hold jam sessions that were open to the public for free. They would also put on several performances.

The cowbell. If there is an area most orchestras are lacking in it is the cowbell. They seem to need more cowbell. And, to be of yet even more value to the orchestra I will also offer my services of playing the kazoo.

Has been about 8 or 9 years. It was actually the musical play "Buddy" There was no pretending to be playing the songs. Everything was done live. If I remember right they played 16 songs. They also had a jam session after the end of the play.

The Air Force's Band Of The Pacific would put on performances in a park in downtown Anchorage.

Thin and crispy crust. Light sauce. Plenty of cheese. Add sliced Polish sausage, onions, mushrooms, artichokes, green olives and more cheese.

If grated cheese is handy I will add it.

Beer, beer, and more beer.

NATURE QUESTIONS

Many times. And yes it did grow.

I have grown corn, lettuce, cabbage, melons, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, garlic and probably a few other items. It is true what they say about corn on the cob...The fresher the better. I would go so far to have the water already boiling before I picked the corn.

There are a few different trees in the courtyard where I live. No idea what they are. For the most part I only know two types of trees...Those that are still alive and those that have become firewood.

Nope

TODAY IS:
Independence From Meat Day
I will refuse to stand up and remove my hat when they play the Independence From Meat Day anthem

Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
Feel free to add eggs fried on a sidewalk to my list of ways I will not eat eggs.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 07-04-2014 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 05:12 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times
Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? When my daughters were young we'd have a picnic & go to see fireworks. This year I'll be spending the day getting ready to go into camp at the lake tomorrow. We'll watch fireworks over the lake tomorrow night.

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence? Sure do.
Spoiler

I can sing the national anthem, though I doubt you'd want me to.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? Yes. I usher at the Hopkins Center @ Dartmouth.

A stringed instrument, maybe cello. Love the sound.
Community band concert last Tuesday night.
Many small communities have outdoor concerts through the summer. I also go to St. Gaudens for concerts on Sunday afternoons. Most of these are classical, though some are jazz.

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? Rarely eat pizza. When I do I prefer homemade with tomato sauce, lots of veggies and different cheeses.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? No

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? Used to be coke, but haven't had coke in years. Now I'll say red wine.

NATURE QUESTIONS

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Did it grow? We always had big vegetable gardens.

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? Yes to both.

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? About fourteen of my twenty acres are wooded. Oaks, Maples, Birches, Cherry, Pine.... a few old apple trees.

Have you ever planted a tree? Have. Apple trees & evergreens.

Thunderstorms came through last night. Power came back on not long ago & it's still raining. I think most celebrations today will be postponed.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:53 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
[quote=PJSinger;35507482]Hello, all! I'm totally jazzed that this year Independence Day has fallen on a Friday. I'll enjoy a 3-day respite from work. Yay! Before I get too giddy, let's get busy with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

How do you traditionally celebrate Independence Day? I don't go anywhere since I can see the fireworks from the bedroom or watch them on tv.

For those in the U.S., do you know the first 7 words of the Declaration of Independence? eek! No.
Spoiler

Do you know all of the words to your country's national anthem? I know most of it so does that count? Can you sing the anthem?

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you ever attended an orchestral concert? Yes.

If you could play any instrument in an orchestra, which would you choose? A flute. Explain your choice. Later I will. lol!

When was the last time you saw a live band performance? Details, please. The last live band was Keith Urban about 5 - 6 years ago.

If you've ever attended an outdoor concert of any music genre, tell us about it! I think the last outdoor concert was at Yogi Berra stadium when we went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd. They sounded good but only played for 90 minutes.

Tell us about your favorite pizza. What type of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings do you like best? I prefer a thick crust over thin with the usual tomato sauce and cheese. As for toppings, mushrooms, peppers and black olives are always good.

Do you like to sprinkle grated cheese, pepper flakes or anything else on your pizza just before you eat it? A little garlic and oregano.

What's your favorite beverage to have with pizza? I don't usually drink anything when I eat pizza...so I'm a little strange.

NATURE QUESTIONS

Did you ever plant something from seed when you were a little kid? Yes. Tomatoes. Did it grow? Yes.

Have you ever planted a vegetable or flower garden? Veggies.

If you live in a home with a yard, how many and what species of trees do you have in your yard? I don't know what species it is!

Have you ever planted a tree? Yes. When my mom died we planted a tree in the apartment complex where she lived.

TODAY IS:
  • Independence Day (U.S.) - Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate it.
  • Independence From Meat Day
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day
  • Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do! Same to you,PJ.

Last edited by Lucky Lady123; 07-04-2014 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

Family gets together at my MIL's for the traditional cookout. She makes the worlds best ice cream, The town parade goes right by her house and this year my son is driving his companies tow truck, decorated for the holiday, in the parade. Pretty much a classic mid-America celebration.

Spoiler

I have sung the national anthem at sporting events and auto races around the country.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Not as a spectator

I played trumpet in my HS orchestra. Haven't played it since'

Went to a local "Big Band" concert last summer. There's another one coming up next month

Not pizza, "Tomato Pie". That should tell those who know it's from NJ. Thin crust, cheese and sausage

Pepper

Pepsi

NATURE QUESTIONS

My school actually sold seeds to make money for extra programs or teachers orgies or something. We planted some every year and they grew

NO

I don't have a clue. My older son comes by to trim and pull weeds

NO

Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

Spoiler

BONUS QUESTIONS

NATURE QUESTIONS

TODAY IS:
  • Independence Day (U.S.)
  • Independence From Meat Day
  • Invisible Day
  • National Barbecue Day
  • Sidewalk Egg Frying Day
Have a safe and happy day, whatever you do!

COLOR="teal"]Have a safe and happy Fourth of July.[/color]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics