Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 11:47 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,128,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hi all - I did my trip report in two posts over at a thread in the Travel forum. https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ug-2016-a.html

I love when you share that kind of thought with us Also adore the iconic flat iron building!

I think I saw the same guy in San Fran!

Eek - I was shuddering when dear Zola mentioned the hot tub. Bacteria

I had a pet rock that I lugged home from an excursion - more of a pet bolder. Gosh, I used to remember its name but now it slipped. Its still at my mom's house in the den.
Hadn't thought about that really! But I've indulged in a number of HTPs over the years, and not once has there been any cases of bacterial infection. And I'm sure our host put some kind of chemical that kills off pesky bacteria. And in case I always have a good shower afterwards

I still haven't visited the US yet. It's definitely on my bucket-list, but I think all the hassle of actually entering the country puts me off (even though I understand the concern)

There are many places in the US that intrigue me, but there are some that I really do want to visit as a priority - Mount Rushmore, being one. The Grand Canyon, being another. Then there's Redwood Forest, Denali, Red Rock Country in Utah; Death Valley & Yellowstone.

All of these are out in the middle of nowhere, well away from the populated urban areas. NYC, I would also add to my list, but I prefer the more natural areas, almost completely untouched my mankind.

One day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I have never been to Chicago. Star- What did you do there? Were you on vacation?
Oh sorry, I didn't notice your question from last night (probably due to tiredness). When I was a student, I was lucky enough to do a student exchange programme, to the US. They gave me a brochure with a load of jobs to apply to (one of them, I remember, was for a Christmas Shop - this was in June, lol!).

Anyway, after applying to nearly all of them, I managed to get a job in Delaware. So I worked there for a few months, then did some travelling afterwards, for another few weeks. I bought an unlimited Amtrak pass, so I went from East Coast to West Coast and back around again, on a different route (I spent most of my time on the trains, to be honest!). I stopped off a number of places on the way, one of them being Chicago - but I wasn't there for too long.

Why Lisa?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Golly gosh, 5am and I still haven't gone to bed yet!

Interesting last few hours. Interesting, and quite unexpected hours at that.

But anyway, at least I saw more of the Perseid meteor shower; not has good as previous years, but still a sight to see.

Then at around 11pm got a phone call from a friend. "Would you fancy coming to a hot tub party?"

"What, now!?" I replied.

"Yeah, it's just starting to warm up, so to speak!"

"Where? And who's there?"

"The usual crazy gang here in downtown Bourneheath. Get your arse down here. You're required!!"

30 minutes later I'm in a huge hot tub in my friend's back garden, shared with 8 other peeps - drinking, eating BBQ food, listening to music etc No neighbours to speak of. And as I enjoyed a good soaking I could still just about make out the night sky and the odd meteor here and there!

Awesome evening, and only a fraction of the cost of a night out clubbing in the town. I must say I did quite enjoy the hot tub experience - kinda surreal at such a late hour!

Anyway, time for good run now. And then catch a few sleep hours.

Sounds like someone had a fun time last night/this morning!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hi all - I did my trip report in two posts over at a thread in the Travel forum. https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ug-2016-a.html
I'm just gonna take a look!...

Update: sounds like you had a brilliant time, and had some great British food! I had to laugh about the Harrods bit. I was on a trip to London with my parents, as a youngster, and we went into Harrods just to use their toilets (although I think my mother bought something tiny, just to look like we were there shopping)!

Last edited by Star10101; 08-13-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Sounds like someone had a fun time last night/this morning!
I certainly did, thank you! and don't worry, I behaved myself (for a change, lol) All very much PG13 rated, ha!

However, no chance of checking out the skies tonight. Big thick blanket of cloud has covered the horizon; and I do believe I can hear the pitter-patter of rain my the conservatory roof!

So it will be a quiet night in tonight (even though I said the same last night, and 5 hours later I was in a hot tub in a back garden, lol)

Old 08-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I certainly did, thank you! and don't worry, I behaved myself (for a change, lol) All very much PG13 rated, ha!

However, no chance of checking out the skies tonight. Big thick blanket of cloud has covered the horizon; and I do believe I can hear the pitter-patter of rain my the conservatory roof!

So it will be a quiet night in tonight (even though I said the same last night, and 5 hours later I was in a hot tub in a back garden, lol)
I should hope so!

Clouds here to, as usual, but no rain. In fact, it's been quite warm here today - you can tell the weather will be getting hotter over the next few days.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Haven't any of you Brits been watching the Olympics?! We're third in the medals table!! Which is amazing really, seeing that we're only a little piddling country!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I should hope so!

Clouds here to, as usual, but no rain. In fact, it's been quite warm here today - you can tell the weather will be getting hotter over the next few days.
Talking of warm weather, there's a mass exodus of staff in our department over the next 2 weeks. All of them buggering off on holiday; leaving just 4 people - myself included - to cover their jobs as well as our own.

Of course it's the bank holiday during those 2 weeks, and it's also almost the end of the school break. So i guess all the parents are trying to make the most of the summer holidays.

The only good thing about that is the roads will be super quiet for commuting.

I'm going to spend a week in Cornwall in September - Plymouth and Torquay. Can't wait!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Haven't any of you Brits been watching the Olympics?! We're third in the medals table!! Which is amazing really, seeing that we're only a little piddling country!
I must confess and say "no!"

I appreciate the effort and all that, but it just doesn't float my boat. And therefore don't choose to comment about it, or watch it.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I must confess and say "no!"

I appreciate the effort and all that, but it just doesn't float my boat. And therefore don't choose to comment about it, or watch it.
What, you don't like ANY of the sports involved?! Not even the hockey?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics