Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
IAW, your screen name is perfect for you! Of the women I'm close to who've divorced - not one regrets it or plans to marry again. I never wanted to get married - planned to be single and then maybe settle down in "old age" - whatever that meant to me in my 20s. That's not how things panned out - can't imagine doing it again, though - and I'm with a loving, supportive man. Marriage is a weird convention.

Thank you, toos. I used to sing the song to my daughter when she was a baby. Maybe that started the downhill slide.... We had a few good years, but he just became more and more controlling and emotionally abusive. Then when we split he didn't have anything to do with the kids. I raised them and supported them so that was my focus when they were small. After that, well, I've dated, but like I said, just haven't found anyone that I'm willing to give up my independence for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hi Lisa....... Boy, all that food sounds good. Chillies were on offer today at Aldi, so Judy bought some. I did advise as she studied them in the store, "but you don't like hot food Judy, and you have no idea how to add chillies to food........" She took no notice, and put them in the trolley. Just where, and in what, they will appear, I have no idea. I guess I'll find out........
What kind of chiles did Judy buy? You know I can help you decide what to do with them. In my part of the world, chiles are one of the main food groups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Oh it's just another typical day in the Zola World, Dave

I had to take my stockings off because they were just irritating me (doesn't look good leaning down under my desk scratching my sticky ankle)

And yes, I've had those blouse moments too! I mean how difficult can it be to align the right blouse/skirt button with the right eyelet!!??

A few days ago while sunbathing in my back garden, I opened a chilled can of diet coke, which had been sitting in my fridge for a few days. Yet it still sprayed me as I pulled the ring-pull

Last week, I tried to un-peel the silver wrapping from a pack of Lurpak butter. But I didn't unwrap correctly and the butter ended up on my kitchen floor (no jokes about "butter fingers" please)

A month ago i pressed the wrong timer button on my microwave, and thus cremated a bowl of soup (should have been in for 2 minutes, not 20!)

Dipstick Zola, is what I should call myself
Sounds exactly like me! I always said it was a darn good thing I didn't work as a chef and my job required me to sit instead of walk around.

I also remember watching Zola Budd in the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Afternoon toos........ Yeah, I did 22 years at the Post Office coal face......... Like you say, it a strange world, that outsiders don't really understand. It's changing now of course, both here and in America. But, when I started there in 1980, it was a thriving, buzzing, little world of it's own. There was even a bar on the premises that sold cheap booze.It's seems so ridiculous now....... people drinking alcohol in their workplace. That alone caused a few problems looking back on it.

The large office I worked at, was buzzing with activity 24 hours a day. It never stopped, except Christmas Day. When I first walked into the place way back in early 1980, I couldn't believe the noise, and activity at 5am in the morning. It was a madhouse!

Hundreds of people running around, all carrying out various tasks. It took me a while to get used to the sheer speed of work being done there. It was a constant stream of mail and parcels coming in one door, getting sorted, and bagged up, then sent somewhere else. Groups of people sat in long alley's of metal mail frames, sorting the letters to various deliveries around town. Each delivery, or 'walk' as they were known had a number from 1 to about 147. Each mail sorter, had to know which 'walk' a letter belonged to, and quickly placed letters in the walk it was meant for.

Can you imagine having to know, out of many thousands of streets in a town, which delivery a letter belonged to? Some long roads were split up between maybe three different postmen. The letter sorter had to know, not just which walk a letter belonged to, but when a street was split up, where the house numbers started and ended for each postman.

It was a massive memory job, and it took me a long time to learn how to do it. But, it is imprinted on my brain. I could walk into the office, 14 years after last being there, and sit right down, and sort the mail without any problem at all. I still dream about the place regularly.........

But working so closely with many people for years can cause problems. You get office romances that break up, and the people involved have to carry on working with each other. That or leave the job of course. Some people have fall outs with each other, which sometimes working under time pressure causes. But, it was a great 22 years overall. I had a lot of fun there, and got close to a lot of people I worked with for a long time. In the end, I suffered with back problems from the sheer weights I was lugging about, and needed a couple of operations. I got paid off eventually, and sent on my way.

Old Postmen don't die........ they simply fade away........
David, one of my parents best friends worked at and retired from the Post Office here. Jack had some of the same stories you have told and could tell those stories better than just about anyone else. I don't remember him talking about a bar in the office though....

Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
David, one of my parents best friends worked at and retired from the Post Office here. Jack had some of the same stories you have told and could tell those stories better than just about anyone else. I don't remember him talking about a bar in the office though....
I'm back IAW....... I have taken my computer to the bedroom where the fan is......... Judy is watching her soaps while being cooled!

Yeah...... the bar in the Post Office was a strange thing. It wasn't there when I arrived in 1980, but it was a few short years after. Post workers would sink a few pints in the dinner hour, and during the afternoon fifteen minute break. It was a stampede at 3pm with pints of beer ready pulled on the bar top....... At night, it was like a social club in there......... telly up on the wall showing soccer games. It would have been great if folks didn't have to go back to work after drinking there.

This sort of thing was generally accepted in those days. In the late 70s I worked at an engineering company. The guys off the shop floor, would all pile into the nearby pub at lunchtime. One guy would sink four pints of beer in less than an hour, then go back working a lathe. It's a wonder he didn't lose a few fingers!! There has always been a drinking culture in England, but I think that sort of thing is frowned upon these days. Eventually, sometime in the nineties, the bar at the Post Office was closed down, and that was the end of that.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Lots of good telly on this evening. I've just watched the soaps, now The Great British Bake Off is back. Then Celebrity Big Brother, followed by Long Lost Family (box of hankies at the ready), then First Dates. I have my evening planned out well!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:

What kind of chiles did Judy buy? You know I can help you decide what to do with them. In my part of the world, chiles are one of the main food groups.
I went downstairs and took a look......it's just a small bag with four chillies in it. Two green, and two red. They were only 40 cents....... I have no idea what Judy plans to do with them, and I don't think she does either!!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Lots of good telly on this evening. I've just watched the soaps, now The Great British Bake Off is back. Then Celebrity Big Brother, followed by Long Lost Family (box of hankies at the ready), then First Dates. I have my evening planned out well!
Hi Star....... Judy is watching Bake Off as well. She really liked the last series. She won't watch Long Lost Family because she doesn't like crying........

I like my entertainment on a more serious note. Family Guy later, followed by two old episodes of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads........

Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Thanks for the concern, Star. But I have only been "dating" her 3 or 4 times (over coffee & scones at that) I am due to see J again this afternoon at her library. So might discuss it then. I think her parents have a right to know about what their daughter is up to for 2 or 3 days in North Wales. They don't know me from Adam (or Eve, lol).

That's my problem sometimes: when I see a good thing, I want to enjoy it while the moment lasts, but without thinking of the implications first. A fair sign of my lingering immaturity I guess: too much of an eager-beaver. Doesn't do anyone any good in the long term.

Fingers crossed though
Any update on this afternoon's meeting?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Saw her at the 1984 Olympics in LA and of course you know what happened.

Good article on Wikipedia if you are interested.
Thanks for that

I have been reading up on Budd/Pieterse, on Wiki this evening. The politics and her rivalry with Mary Decker make for great reading - am surprised there hasn't been a documentary or TV movie made of this!

Quote:
Thank you, toos. I used to sing the song to my daughter when she was a baby. Maybe that started the downhill slide.... We had a few good years, but he just became more and more controlling and emotionally abusive. Then when we split he didn't have anything to do with the kids. I raised them and supported them so that was my focus when they were small. After that, well, I've dated, but like I said, just haven't found anyone that I'm willing to give up my independence for.

Sounds exactly like me! I always said it was a darn good thing I didn't work as a chef and my job required me to sit instead of walk around.

I also remember watching Zola Budd in the Olympics.
I would agree she was pretty awesome just prior to the 84 Olympics, but it all went so wrong after "bumping" off Decker in that much touted race. I wish I could run like her! But she was a middle-distance runner, whereas I prefer half/full marathons. But she had good technique, and I think she used to run barefooted!

Politics stinks sometimes; have to feel sorry for her given her age at the time.

Onwards and upwards. Shower time now

Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Star....... Judy is watching Bake Off as well. She really liked the last series. She won't watch Long Lost Family because she doesn't like crying........

I like my entertainment on a more serious note. Family Guy later, followed by two old episodes of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads........
I'm sure I would get on well with your Judy! We could sit around watching other people bake cakes. Maybe tut when they have over or under baked them. Or wonder why they are adding such weird ingredients. Gasp when they drop said cake on the floor! Edge of your seat stuff!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I went downstairs and took a look......it's just a small bag with four chillies in it. Two green, and two red. They were only 40 cents....... I have no idea what Judy plans to do with them, and I don't think she does either!!
How big are the chiles, Dave? You do know that the smaller the chile, the hotter it is, right? Anyway, as I said, if she needs suggestions, I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics