Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM

13,722 posts, read 10,091,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Just checking! How much unused stuff have you got in your garage?! We are lucky in a way that we don't have a garage to put loads of junk... er sorry... unused items in. We have parking spaces instead. Although don't get me started on neighbours that park in our parking spaces!
You've got me thinking about this one, and how to answer.

Quite a bit, but some has been used, a few times. Then there's the toys, that can't be thrown out. Oh, yes, and boxes, empty boxes, that may come in handy, or are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 09:28 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,085,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
You've got me thinking about this one, and how to answer.

Quite a bit, but some has been used, a few times. Then there's the toys, that can't be thrown out. Oh, yes, and boxes, empty boxes, that may come in handy, or are needed.
Sounds a lot like my attic, which I'm trying to sort out at the moment. I've been getting rid of loads from there.

A while ago, my parents came down my house with a bag of items, which they gave to me to have. It was things that had been in their attic for over 30 years!! There was my Rubik's Cube in there, a Space Invaders game and a load of other toys that I used to have!

But spare a thought for poor Basil Brush and a Womble, who had spent that past 30 odd years living in solitude, in my parent's attic.

Last edited by Star10101; 05-18-2017 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Sounds a lot like my attic, which I'm trying to sort out at the moment. I've been getting rid of loads from there.

A while ago, my parents came down my house with a bag of items, which they gave to me to have. It was things that had been in their attic for over 30 years!! There was my Rubik's Cube in there, a Space Invaders game and a load of other toys that I used to have!

But spare a thought for poor Basil Brush and a Womble, who had spent that past 30 odd years living in solitude, in my parent's attic.
I think that's about memories, and at least they, by the sounds of things, aren't too large. (The toys, not the parents). I've yet to bring my Scalextric, and my Aurora race tracks down here.

I never had a Basil Brush, or a Womble, you lucky thing. At least they had each other.

Yes, before you ask. I don't get rid of anything.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I think that's about memories, and at least they, by the sounds of things, aren't too large. (The toys, not the parents). I've yet to bring my Scalextric, and my Aurora race tracks down here.

I never had a Basil Brush, or a Womble, you lucky thing. At least they had each other.

Yes, before you ask. I don't get rid of anything.
Yeah, Basil and Womble were living like a gay couple, I suppose!

My brother had a Scalextric, and if I was lucky, he'd let me have a go of it.

I tend to keep loads of stuff too, but I can't take it all down to Devon when we move. It can be quite cathartic to have a good sort out though, I find.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Basil and Womble were living like a gay couple, I suppose!

My brother had a Scalextric, and if I was lucky, he'd let me have a go of it.

I tend to keep loads of stuff too, but I can't take it all down to Devon when we move. It can be quite cathartic to have a good sort out though, I find.
My wife says I cling to what little I had, which I suppose is true.

What, it's a two player game? I used to play, with one controller in each hand.

On the gay couple. LOL, Boom Boom.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
My wife says I cling to what little I had, which I suppose is true.

What, it's a two player game? I used to play, with one controller in each hand.

On the gay couple. LOL, Boom Boom.
Yes, I suppose it is true, that if you didn't have much as a kid, then you would try to keep hold of what you did have. Times were definitely tough, growing up in the 70s.

I don't know why, but Basil and Womble have reminded me of these two men that lived across the road to my Grandparents' house. My Grandparents referred to them as "The brothers, across the road". I remember at the time, being amazed that they could be brothers - they were so different. One of them was tall, with a good head of hair, and the other one was short and bald. They looked nothing like each other.

Looking back, they were probably a gay couple, but had passed themselves off as two brothers living together. It's a pity they couldn't admit this to people at the time, but I suppose it was a different era back then.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times
Quote:
Yes, I suppose it is true, that if you didn't have much as a kid, then you would try to keep hold of what you did have. Times were definitely tough, growing up in the 70s.

I don't know why, but Basil and Womble have reminded me of these two men that lived across the road to my Grandparents' house. My Grandparents referred to them as "The brothers, across the road". I remember at the time, being amazed that they could be brothers - they were so different. One of them was tall, with a good head of hair, and the other one was short and bald. They looked nothing like each other.

Looking back, they were probably a gay couple, but had passed themselves off as two brothers living together. It's a pity they couldn't admit this to people at the time, but I suppose it was a different era back then.
Now, the 70s for me, were good years. I was 17 years old in 1970. By the end of the decade, I had spent four years in the army, met and married my first wife, and we had two children, and a mortgage on our first house. There was plenty of work to be found, and with hard work, you could get on. There was lots of optimism that things were getting better. Then Thatcher came to power........ the ordinary folks have never recovered.

My first wife's brother was gay, and nobody talked about it. He lived with his partner, but his mother still talked about when he would meet a nice girl, and get married....... Those times were very different. Like the saying 'the past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.'

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Now, the 70s for me, were good years. I was 17 years old in 1970. By the end of the decade, I had spent four years in the army, met and married my first wife, and we had two children, and a mortgage on our first house. There was plenty of work to be found, and with hard work, you could get on. There was lots of optimism that things were getting better. Then Thatcher came to power........ the ordinary folks have never recovered.

My first wife's brother was gay, and nobody talked about it. He lived with his partner, but his mother still talked about when he would meet a nice girl, and get married....... Those times were very different. Like the saying 'the past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.'
It seems like you were having a great time in the 70s. You're right - lots of people found it easier to get jobs then, especially the men. I hardly saw my father back then, to be honest. First of all, he spent a lot of time in hospital when I was very young. I spent most of my time at my Grandparents (that was great - I loved living with them ). Then my father worked night shifts, so he was either in bed, or going off to work!

Mr Star said that he hardly saw his father, whilst growing up, either. His father was in the Police force, and was always working late. He was even interviewed on Crimewatch a few times, back in the 80s! Also, Mr Star got moved around different English counties, with his father's work. And now I'm making him live in Wales, and moving him again!

But I also remember the 70s as a time where people didn't seem to have much money. We used to save up 50p's to go in "the meter". I'm not sure whether it was gas or electric, but we used to try to make sure it didn't go off, and we had enough money to go in there.

Also, there were loads of people on strike for something or other. And I remember the power cuts, in the evenings! I think I've mentioned this before, how we used to sit there in the dark, when they switched the power off. We had a candle and a radio - that was it! Yes, great times!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Yeah, it's a shame that people couldn't come out as being gay, years ago. It was like they had to hide this 'secret' and not live how they wanted to live.

My friend in school was gay. He never admitted to it whilst in school - but we all knew, really. Then one day, years later, I bumped into him in town. He said to me "Here's a picture of my boyfriend...". He looked straight at me, as if to look for my 'shocked' reaction. But I just smiled at him in a 'I've always known you were gay' way, and I said "He looks nice".

There was another occasion when I was in Sixth Form College. A group of us used to take the bus there every day. One morning, one of the guys got up and stood at the front of the bus. He said "I've got an announcement to make... I'm gay". Again, we already knew he was gay, and I'm afraid to say that everyone just burst out laughing.

Looking back, I feel quite sorry for him. It must have taken a lot of guts, to announce that you're gay, to a load of school kids on a bus!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 AM

24,583 posts, read 26,142,929 times
What is draining the car battery? Grrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics