Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

No license or registration required for . . .

Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics?

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance?
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride-along

Bonus Section:
Some happiness that money bought:

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? If so, what?

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still ________________."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks?

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have?

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage?

Was that "legal" where you lived?

Today in History:
1215 Rebel barons renounced allegiance to King John of England, leading to the signing of the Magna Carta
1260 Kublai Khan became ruler of the Mongol Empire
1494 Christopher Columbus landed on the island of Jamaica
1835 1st railway in continental Europe opened between Brussels and Mechelen, Belgium
1891 The Music Hall in NYC (later known as Carnegie Hall) grand opening with Tchaikovsky as guest conductor
1964 Ernest Hemingway's memoir of 1920s Paris, "A Moveable Feast," 1st published
1973 Secretariat won the 1973 Kentucky Derby in 1:59 2/5, still an unbeaten record

Today's Quote:
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
~Ernest Hemingway in "A Farewell to Arms"

Today’s Word:
evanescent [ev-uh-NES-uh nt] adjective
vanishing; fading away; fleeting

Today Includes:
Cartoonists Day
Chocolate Custard Day
Hoagie Day
Roller Derby Day

This Week Includes:
Drinking Water Week
Post Card Week
Tourism Week
Wildflower Week

May Includes:
Bike Month
Egg Month
Hamburger Month
Salad Month
Vinegar Month

Today's "Stately" Picture:
Alaska. Campsite view of the aurora borealis on a snowy night.

Made freely available on pixabay.com

Have a cool and happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
yay I love early postings

[b]Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics? lots past and present

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance? totally would

Bonus Section:
Some happiness that money bought: flying home to see my mom

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? If so, what? yes - most recently it's sand from the landing beaches at Normandy.

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still ________________."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks? not a stranger

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have? bought for a minor? No I don't think so

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage? drank? Not sure. Got tipsy on rum balls at New Years when I was a wee lass, though

Was that "legal" where you lived? drinking wasn't a big deal or big draw for me. I'd had sips of wine at holiday meals - tasted my moms martini or daddy's scotch - didn't like it. But no it wouldn't have been ok with my parents if I wanted to drink underage.

[u]Today in History:
1891 The Music Hall in NYC (later known as Carnegie Hall) grand opening with Tchaikovsky as guest conductor iconic - must've been phenomenal

[u][b]Today Includes:
Chocolate Custard Day yes please!
Hoagie Day

[u][b]This Week Includes:
Wildflower Week awesome - perfect for our Wild Flower!
thank you!

Last edited by toosie; 05-04-2016 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics?

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance?

Bonus Section:
Vacations!

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still __screw up______________."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks?
Maybe .. We bought our own as well.

Really don't recall. I was out of High School though.
The drinking age was changed early in my first experiences so I don't recall.

Today in History:
1215 Rebel barons renounced allegiance to King John of England, leading to the signing of the Magna Carta
1260 Kublai Khan became ruler of the Mongol Empire
1494 Christopher Columbus landed on the island of Jamaica
1835 1st railway in continental Europe opened between Brussels and Mechelen, Belgium
1891 The Music Hall in NYC (later known as Carnegie Hall) grand opening with Tchaikovsky as guest conductor
1964 Ernest Hemingway's memoir of 1920s Paris, "A Moveable Feast," 1st published
1973 Secretariat won the 1973 Kentucky Derby in 1:59 2/5, still an unbeaten record

Today's Quote:
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
~Ernest Hemingway in "A Farewell to Arms"

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Cartoonists Day
Chocolate Custard Day
Hoagie Day
Roller Derby Day

This Week Includes:
Drinking Water Week
Post Card Week
Tourism Week
Wildflower Week

May Includes:
Bike Month
Egg Month
Hamburger Month
Salad Month
Vinegar Month

Today's "Stately" Picture:
Alaska. Campsite view of the aurora borealis on a snowy night.

Made freely available on pixabay.com

Have a cool and happy Thursday!
Thanks BJH! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-04-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics? Yes to all three. Salt of the earth; all heroes in my book.

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance? ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride-along Hmmm. I'm not sure whether I would or not. I guess it depends on which city it's in. If it's in the city I live in, I'd be okay with that. If it's in the city I work in, no way Jose. I work in one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S.

Bonus Section:
Some happiness that money bought: My house; my current car.

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? A couple. If so, what? Interesting stones that washed up on the south shore of Lake Michigan.

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy the house I bought 26 years ago."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks? No. But I did buy it myself on a few occasions. Stores were not that careful about carding back then.

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have? Once, when I was in college in the early 70s.

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage? My parents let me taste a screwdriver at a restaurant when I was about 16. I didn't consume a whole drink until I was 18 and in college. I have to admit, I made up for lost time over the next few years.

Was that "legal" where you lived? Not until I turned 21.

Today’s Word:

Today Includes:
Cartoonists Day
Chocolate Custard Day Yum!
Hoagie Day YUM!
Roller Derby Day My goddaughter in AZ is on a roller derby team. She keeps getting injured, so I don't know how long that will last. I just hope she won't end up permanently impaired.

This Week Includes:
Drinking Water Week I love to drink water and I consume lots of it every day.
Post Card Week I haven't sent one of these for a few years.
Tourism Week I'll be a tourist next month when I go on a little vacation.
Wildflower Week It's a little early in the season for wildflowers here. In a few weeks they'll be blooming like crazy, though.

May Includes:
Bike Month I haven't been on a bike for quite some time. I don't enjoy fighting traffic in order to ride.
Egg Month I like eggs.
Hamburger Month I love hamburgers, though rarely have one.
Salad Month I love salads and eat a large salad for lunch at least 6 days a week. YUM!
Vinegar Month I used vinegar in a recipe today, as well as on my salad at lunchtime today.

Happy Thursday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-04-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Today's Questions:

^ No to all.

Bonus Section:
My king size bed and expensive sheet sets.

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? If so, what? - I haven't been to a beach in 43 years.

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get divorced.

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
- When I was younger the drinking age was 18 so there was no need.

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have? - I recall once in my early 20s but I asked to make sure they were going home and not driving.

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage? - 16

Was that "legal" where you lived? - No, it was 18.

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Yes, I know several officers and a few medics. Most in my family but also a few who are friends.
No beach souvenirs, I'm not big on beaches.
If I had to do it all over again, I'd have never left Oklahoma after my first visit there.
Thanks for the questions!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times

Today's Questions:

I know a few

Does riding in the back seat of the cop car count? Oh wait. It was a taxi. Never mind

Bonus Section:

Stinky cheese of course

Nope.

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy that last package of stinky cheese that someone else was eyeing ."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:

Never needed to. As long as I drank at home my dad was ok with that. I had no problem with drinking his beer. I once won a case of beer when I was 15. Had to get my dad to pick it up.

I have not. I am not going to jail just so some kids want to get drunk.

Don't remember. However my dad bought me my first beer stein when I was two. It only held a couple ounces

Alaska was 19. I was already 19 when I went to college in Montana where the drinking age was 18.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics? Yup. Step son-in-law is an MP

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance? About 40 years ago

Bonus Section:

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? If so, what? Shells, of course. lol

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still do it all over again!"

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks? Nope

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have? Nope

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage? 23. And that was just a sip of wine. Don't drink

Was that "legal" where you lived? Yup

Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Today's Questions:
Past or present, do you personally know any police officers or firefighters or paramedics? Yes.

Have you done a ride-along with police/firefighters/EMTs on a shift or would you, given the chance? Have done so, helped with an auto accident scene, watched arresting of a druggie.

Bonus Section:
Some happiness that money bought: Ocean cruises.

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? Yes. If so, what? Shark bite seashells.

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get married again to the same woman."

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:
When you were underage did you or your friends ever ask an older person to buy beer or other alcoholic drinks? Probably, that was too long ago to remember.

Have you bought beer for others or was there a time you would have? Sometimes at the restaurant when we eat out, not for under agers though.

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage? Probably 14, a friend of the family made some homemade beer and he gave me a glass of it, yuk.

Was that "legal" where you lived? Ha ha no.

Cool picture bjh

Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 PM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Today's Questions:

No,not personally.

No,never heard of it.

Bonus Section:
Some happiness that money bought: Food

Do you have any souvenirs from the beach? If so, what? Sea shells

"If I had to do it all over again, I'd still look up my old friends

Foodie/Bevvie Questions:

Yes

Never

How old were you the first time you drank an alcoholic beverage

I think around 16. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics