Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Grab your favorite go-juice and sit for a moment with today's Qs.

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people?
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees?
acted as a volunteer for an event or service?
designed a large visual advertisement?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1930 Ted Hughes, Poet (children's poetry) (d. Oct 28, 1998)
Arts/Entertainment: 1876 Opera "Gotterdammerung" premieres in Bayreuth
Science/Nature: 2012 Trogloraptor marchingtoni, an unusual spider discovered in 2010 is determined to be a new family of spiders previously unknown in the world of science; the new spider family has been named Trogloraptor, meaning 'cave robber.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trogloraptor (If you dare! )
Sports: 2008 Michael Phelps wins 8 Gold Medals in 2008 Olympics
Technology: 1891 Electric self-starter for automobile patented

Today’s Word:
kool-aid
Pronunciation: (KOOL-ayd)
Meaning: noun: Something accepted without question. Usually used in the phrase “to drink the kool-aid”: to accept something unquestioningly or to demonstrate unquestioning loyalty.
Etymology: From Kool-Aid, a powdered flavored drink introduced in 1927. It was earlier known as Kool-Ade, from respelling of cool + -ade (a fruit drink, as in lemonade).
Earliest documented use: 1927.
Notes: Jim Jones was the leader of a cult named Peoples Temple in Jonestown, Guyana. In 1978, he had more than 900 of his followers killed in a murder-suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. This event gave birth to the figure of speech “to drink the kool-aid”.

Today is:
Black Cat Appreciation Day
I Love My Feet Day
Meaning of "Is" Day
National Thrift Shop Day
National Vanilla Custard Day (U.S.)
Third Wednesday:
National Medical Dosimetrist Day

Quote of the Day:
"The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all." ~ Ted Hughes ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Mornin' all! - Good morning, Pat. I was just going to turn the computer off and go to bed.

Grab your favorite go-juice and sit for a moment with today's Qs. - I'll now finish this glass of water.

Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones?
- Music, brisk walking, and cooking my own food. Ooops, that's 3!

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?
- Nope, only out of town farmers market supplies...

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
- I have a few times but never made food. The last was a minor league baseball outing 9 years ago from a once popular Maryland newspaper message board. 30 people attended and it was a huge success.

- Except for being a regular blood donor for the last 25 years, no to the rest.

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Last edited by John13; 08-16-2016 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Mrs. Aks,,,,, ok maybe a good relaxing moment with music.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get? Yes, we buy all the nice things made by locals in the area we visit, however there are too many to mention here. We especially love arts and crafts shows during the spring and fall seasons. We have lots of Native American art items that we enjoy in the house.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? no
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? no
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? yes several times
designed a large visual advertisement? no

Old 08-16-2016, 10:55 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Music. It makes me happy the way nothing else can. I sometimes experience something that's like a full body orgasm when I hear a particularly stirring passage. Chills run up my spine and I feel tingly all over. There's a word for this phenomenon, but I can't remember what it is.

Bonus Question(s):
I bought some chocolates and a wool scarf in Canada that were locally made, and in Mendocino I bought some jam and lemon curd that was made in the shop.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
No, the idea scares the living daylights out of me.
No, I've never done that.
Yes, I helped serve treats at our company's Christmas party.
No, but I admire people who are creative in the visual arts.

Today in History:

Science/Nature: 2012 Trogloraptor marchingtoni, an unusual spider discovered in 2010 is determined to be a new family of spiders previously unknown in the world of science; the new spider family has been named Trogloraptor, meaning 'cave robber.'
Eek! Do we really need more spiders?

Today is:

Third Wednesday:
National Medical Dosimetrist Day

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:17 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? Sitting in my theater room,, in the rocker, with a cold beer, chips and dip, either watching a good movie from yesteryear or music from the Big Band era with the Mrs next to me.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get? We have traveled the world over and collected items from most places that were unique to that area.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? No and never will.
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? Jury foreman, twice.
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? No.
designed a large visual advertisement? Designed some magazine ads for national exposure for a corporation I once worked for. Have designed many ads for newspapers too, some full page. All many many eons ago.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? A good book or a good movie.

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get? When I visited my New Jersey relatives many years ago, we went to the Amish community in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and bought some locally-made jams and jellies. My aunt might have bought one of their beautiful quilts, but I can't remember now.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? No.
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? No.
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? Yes.
designed a large visual advertisement? No.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Today's Question(s):
If by loved ones, you meant only humans - pets!

Bonus Question(s):
Pretty sure we have an Arkansas backscratcher around here somewhere. A wooden one, made in Ark, not plastic made in

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
Thanksgiving dinner

If a chair is a big wig, how can he/she be a wig and a chair at the same time?

I have volunteered here and there. I volunteer to win a lottery right here and now.

Maybe I could get one of those airplanes that makes smoke trails or pulls an ad banner behind it!

Today is:

Meow! All cats appreciated.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Growing plants and working with my hands.

Bonus Question(s):

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:

Today in History:
Birthday: 1930 Ted Hughes, Poet (children's poetry) (d. Oct 28, 1998)
Arts/Entertainment: 1876 Opera "Gotterdammerung" premieres in Bayreuth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trogloraptor (If you dare! )
Sports: 2008 Michael Phelps wins 8 Gold Medals in 2008 Olympics
Technology: 1891 Electric self-starter for automobile patented

Today’s Word:
kool-aid
Pronunciation: (KOOL-ayd)
Meaning: noun: Something accepted without question. Usually used in the phrase “to drink the kool-aid”: to accept something unquestioningly or to demonstrate unquestioning loyalty.
Etymology: From Kool-Aid, a powdered flavored drink introduced in 1927. It was earlier known as Kool-Ade, from respelling of cool + -ade (a fruit drink, as in lemonade).
Earliest documented use: 1927.
Notes: Jim Jones was the leader of a cult named Peoples Temple in Jonestown, Guyana. In 1978, he had more than 900 of his followers killed in a murder-suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. This event gave birth to the figure of speech “to drink the kool-aid”.

Today is:
I Love My Feet Day
Meaning of "Is" Day Clintonism
National Thrift Shop Day
National Vanilla Custard Day (U.S.)
Third Wednesday:
National Medical Dosimetrist Day No dose for me please!

Quote of the Day:
"The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all." ~ Ted Hughes ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 08-17-2016, 12:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Today's Question(s):
What is one thing in your life that brings you great joy, apart from loved ones? Chocolate and running! Mutually inclusive perhaps?

Bonus Question(s):
Several weeks ago, hubby and I drove up to Holland Michigan for the day. I came home with a pair of wooden shoes! Have you ever gone somewhere and picked up something handmade by the locals (besides food products)? If so, what did you get?Some rather fancy wicker baskets from St Ives, Cornwall. Homemade, expensive, but very well made. And keep my fruit in good order

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:
organized a large-scale event/made food for a large number of people? a home BBQ is as big as it gets for me (between 8 and 16 peeps. They all survived my burnt offerings, lol)
been a chair of a committee/on a board of trustees? no. I am not to be trusted at the board of trustees, lol
acted as a volunteer for an event or service? Yes, for friends and local good causes
designed a large visual advertisement? no, not yet.

Thanks, PC

Woof!

Old 08-17-2016, 12:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Today's Question(s):

I can't say it's "great" joy but I'm really happy when I've discovered how to do something on my own.

Bonus Question(s):

Eh, I'm a refrigerator magnet person when I travel. It's small, it doesn't weigh much, I don't have to go shopping in a regular store to buy one (they sell them in visitor's centers of nature-type places) and I can put them in my pocket or leave them in the car after purchase, so no.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever:

I've run a few task forces, that's about it. I'm good at planning, organizing, analysis and executing projects with a beginning and an end and doing it effectively and efficiently but I don't want to hear peoples' problems, questions or complaints so anything social like a party, big dinner party or a wedding or an event involving the public, count me out. There are other people that like to do that kind of thing and I appreciate them for it. I also really hate asking people to buy something/asking people for money. I never designed an advertisement in my job but if I was in that line of work, that would interest me from your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics