Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 3, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon.? Yes; mostly offices such as the one I work in (at a construction company). I worked on Monday but have Tuesday off, thank goodness. My sister worked retail for decades and always had to work on July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. It sucked, and she's so happy to be retired now and get to enjoy holidays.
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.)? Not that I know of.

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste? Hmm. I can't think of anything at the moment. I would find it really hard to drink something I didn't like.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it? When I buy snacks for company (stuff I normally wouldn't have in the house), I bring the leftovers to my office for my co-workers to enjoy. I don't want the temptation in my house.

Bonus: During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler? On hot days, I wait as late in the evening as possible to do what needs to be done outdoors. That includes my fitness walks. This evening (Monday) I left for my walk at 8 p.m. and got home just as it was got dark shortly before 9. If I'd have walked when I first got home from work I'd have been soaked to my skivvies with sweat. It was a little cooler by 8 p.m. and the sun had waned, so that helped a lot.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures? Shoveling snow really heats me up. I often shovel snow wearing just a sweatshirt on top and no coat. Unless temps are under 20F, a sweatshirt is plenty warm for me.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing? Two movies come to mind right away: A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Both are horrible movies and were a complete waste of my time.

Today’s Word:
regale /rəˈɡāl/ (vb.): To please and entertain, delight and divert, with a story-conversation-and/or food.
I knew that.

Today Is:
Emancipation Day (U.S. Virgin Islands)
Compliment Your Mirror Day I'm not good at doing this.
National Chocolate Wafer Day Yum.
-this month is-
Cell Phone Courtesy Month I WISH people were more courteous with those $(*%&$^ things!
National Grilling Month I like grilled food, but rarely fire up my grill. It's no fun grilling for one.
Social Wellness Month
Wheat Month

Fun stuff! Happy Monday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
I was delayed, but always (eventually) answer my own set of Qs

Today’s Question:

Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ?
Yes. Trash/compost pickup was delayed by a day, too
(normal for holidays, just more confusing bc. holiday being on Tues. instead of usual Mon. observation).

Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ?
Yes, which made scheduling the week more challenging, with folks who were trying to cram 5 days of work into 3.

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ?
I try, with some things-such as tea that doesn't taste as good as it sounded from ingredients list & description on box.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ?
Yes-I'm like 'the princess & the pea' when it comes to being bothered by seemingly (to others) minor aspects of food.
It's nice when a friend who has broader taste tolerances than I do is wiling to take unwanted food off my hands.
Akin to a "Jack Sprat & his wife" (nursery rhyme) kind of situation.

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ?
You betcha'-esp. cooking, have to wait as long/late as I can to allow apt. to cool at night.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ?
Yup-the exertion of washing dishes, doing laundry, vacuuming warms me up (which is useful in winter).
Snow-shoveling, too.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ?
Most recent season of "House of Cards", example that leaps to mind-though there are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics