Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,388,212 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday July 3, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ?
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ?

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ?
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ?

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ?
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ?

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ?

Today in History:
1608: Founding of Quebec City, by Samuel de Champlain
1890: Idaho officially becomes the 43rd state of the U.S.
1937: Birth of screenwriter & playwright Tom Stoppard (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)
1938: World speed record for a steam locomotive officially set by “Mallard” train, at 126 mph (203 km/h)
1947: Birth of actress & singer Betty Buckley (Eight is Enough)
1965: Birth of actress Connie Nielsen (Gladiator)
1969: Birth of actress Shawnee Smith (Becker)
1970: Birth of singer & actress Audra McDonald (Private Practice)

Today’s Word:
regale /rəˈɡāl/ (vb.): To please and entertain, delight and divert, with a story-conversation-and/or food.

Today Is:
Emancipation Day (U.S. Virgin Islands)
Compliment Your Mirror Day
National Chocolate Wafer Day

-this month is-
Cell Phone Courtesy Month
National Grilling Month
Social Wellness Month
Wheat Month

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at upper left & center right-

Thought for the Day:
“You can never get enough of what you don’t really want.”
-Huston Smith

Wishing all y’all a fantastic festive first Monday of the new month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,934,738 times

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ?
Depends on the type of store, but most everything will be closed for the 4th.
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ?

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ?
I can't remember, I normally don't dislike most foods. And I try to never waste it, if it's on the plate I eat it.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ? I give some things to Mrs Aks because she likes them more than I do.....

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ?
Most anything that requires me to be outside I'll do in the early morning or late evening.... it's just to hot and sunny to be out there for any length of time.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ? Winter here is never a problem.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ?
Yes, some weddings that I had to attend......

Today in History:
1937: Birth of screenwriter & playwright Tom Stoppard (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead)
1938: World speed record for a steam locomotive officially set by “Mallard” train, at 126 mph (203 km/h)

Today’s Word:
regale /rəˈɡāl/ (vb.): To please and entertain, delight and divert, with a story-conversation-and/or food.

Today Is:

-this month is-
National Grilling Month
Social Wellness Month
Wheat Month

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at upper left & center right-

Thought for the Day:
-Huston Smith

Have a safe holiday and avoid accidents.......

Last edited by AksarbeN; 07-02-2017 at 11:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,915,837 times
Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ? Banks, government offices, our community's management offices.
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ? Good point -- not sure.

What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ? Can't think of anything.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ? I gave my daughter a whole bunch of perishable food when I closed up my WI place and came home last week.

During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ? Oh sure. I usually do yard work in the early morning in the summer.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ? It really doesn't get very cold here in the winter, so outside temps don't affect what I do very much.

Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ? I've given up on a few books for that reason. Life's too short to waste watching or reading something I've lost interest in.

Thanks cloven and happy day everyone!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:26 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,702 times

Today’s Question:
Maybe a few stores

Probably most government offices

Extra Credit:
Can't think of anything

Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ?
Drawing another blank

Bonus:
Yep

During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ?
Does not get that cold

Just for Fun:
Just about all new shows

Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,968,867 times

Today’s Question:
I'm not aware of any.
I'm not aware of any.
Extra Credit:
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ? I'm sure I have at some time.

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ? No ..but I should.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ? Getting out of bed.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ? Almost everything on TV these days! There's no longer any censorship whatsoever. Hello FCC...... Wake up!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

-this month is-
National Grilling Month
Social Wellness Month Talk to the hand...
Wheat Month

Thought for the Day:
-Huston Smith

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,229,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
[color=DarkRed][b]Happy Monday July 3, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ?To both Questions I live and work in a beach resort area.Almost everything will be open Both days.

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ?Some of my wife's snacks to keep them from getting stale
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ? Often

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ? Yes and during the extreme heat some chores wait for days
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ?No

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ?Many

[color=DarkRed][b]Today’s Word:

-this month is-
[color=DarkRed][b]Cell Phone Courtesy Month
National Grilling Month
Social Wellness Month
Wheat Month

Thought for the Day:
-Huston Smith

Thanks cloven. Nice Job

Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 PM

39,003 posts, read 23,001,068 times
Today will be a great day since I landed on my favorite slot.

Today’s Question:

Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ? Yes, most retail stores and restaurants.
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.) ? Most of the government offices.

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ? I don't put anything on my plate that I dislike.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it ? Yes, that has happened a few times.

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ? Anything outdoors during the summer, I try to do early in the morning.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ? No, since it doesn't get very cold here in the winter.

Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing ? Yes, there were a few books that I couldn't get into that I ended up not finishing. I also rented a couple of movies that I ended up terminating because I didn't like the stories or the presentation of them.

Have a marvelous Monday (I have to work tomorrow )!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:03 AM

21,601 posts, read 8,770,819 times

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon.?
Yes, the YMCA where I work out is closing at 3pm on the 4th, and I know of at least one other local business that will be closed.
Where you live, are there places which are closed for both July 3rd & 4th (Mon. & Tues.)?
Not that I know of.
Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste?
Grapes that were just on the cusp of going soft.
Have you had a food or drink item on hand which you didn’t want/need/use-that you were able to give away to someone else who did like it?
When we go out to restaurants, Mr. Bay will happily scarf up any food that I don't finish.

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler?
No, the weather doesn't get that hot here in San Francisco. Today's high is forecast to be 65º F (18º C).
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures?
Same as above. It doesn't get that cold here.
Just for Fun:
Can you think of something (for instance: a tv series, music, a book) you wish had ended sooner, been shorter, that you think could’ve done with more editing?
19 Kids and Counting and its sequel, Counting On. They've run out of ideas. You can only watch so many courtships, weddings, birthday parties and home births before it starts to become monotonous.

Thanks, Cloven, for regaling us with another excellent QOTD (and maze)!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 07-03-2017 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 AM

14,829 posts, read 8,169,551 times

Today’s Question:
Banks and Government Offices for the most part, I think.
IDK

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
Yes, when it gets really, really hot...yes.
Cook! Make Coffee.
Just for Fun:
Yes, all the time...to most all of the above.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,397,604 times
July already Where did the first half of the year go???

Today’s Question:
Where you live, are there places which will close on July 4th (this Tues.) but are open on Mon. ? No, we don't have this holiday over here.

Extra Credit:
What’s the last thing you drank or ate that you disliked, but you consumed it anyway-because otherwise it would go to waste ? Apple juice from DD yesterday evening.

Bonus:
During the summer, are there chores you wait until evening (or very early in morning) to do, when temps. are cooler ? We usually water our outdoor plants and pots in the evening when the sun is nearly down.
During the winter, are there chores you do which help you warm up against the cold temperatures ? Shoveling snow, if there is any.

Just for Fun:

Have a terrific day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics