Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:14 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,742,977 times

Advertisements

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories. My maternal grandmother died when Mom was 18 years old. I saw my maternal grandfather only twice in my life. My paternal grandfather was a very quite man. Dad used to say it was because Grandma talked all the time. He died when I was 9 years old. My paternal grandmother and I were pretty close. She was a heck of a lady. She raised her kids on a farm in Kansas during the depression and Dust Bowl years. She taught me to not take crap from anyone. She always spoke her mind.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you? No hurricanes, but we have had a couple of tornadoes hit here as well as a couple of major floods before the last dam was built about 30 years ago. We do get a lot of hail storms as well. I have some long time friends who live in Katy, TX and were affected by Harvey.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them? I sorely miss all the pets I have lost. Their unconditional love is what I remember. I have two senior dogs now who are each 14 years old. My red heeler is not doing well and I dread the day I have to make a hard decision.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa? I worked shift work for 33 years. When I first started we rotated shifts every 4 weeks, then went to 6 weeks and then 8 weeks. I always enjoyed the graveyard shift since there was no admin around. I could go in and do my job the way it needed to be done.

Are you a night owl or a lark? I am a night owl, but I also love getting up early.

Thanks Bay for the questions. May all in the path of Irma stay safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,629,357 times
(Catching up from internet server problems)

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories. They were gone before I was 10. My grandfather played pro baseball for various teams. He was a friend of Babe Ruth. My grandmother was a great cook.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you? We have some friends in Houston and also in Florida.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them? We had dogs that were fun to play with.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? Yes. How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa? Difficult at times, takes some time, usually 3-5 days to adapt

Are you a night owl or a lark? Hooty hoot.

bay

Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, September 10, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.Some famous people who share your birth date are pianist, composer and bandleader Raymond Scott; fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld; golfing legend Arnold Palmer; actors Colin Firth and Ryan Phillippe; actresses Amy Irving and Judy Geeson; film directors Robert Wise and Guy Ritchie; broadcaster Charles Kuralt; baseball legend Roger Maris; ballerina Misty Copeland and singer Jose Feliciano.

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? ..MY 2 grandmothers were amazing!...Were you close to them? ...I was very close to my paternal grandmother....If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories.My grandfathers both died before I was born.I was always closer to my paternal grandmother.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? ..NO..If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you? ..JUST ice storm or a blizzard nothing severe,a few days no electricity.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. ..AS a child my family had Dachshunds,Boxer,Airdale Terrier,Bernese Mountain dog ,I also had a Haflinger horse. Once in Canada I got from a shelter a Samoyed/Malamute mix named Kira and a Russian blue cat named Salomon.All crossed over....What do you miss about them?....Their company

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel?...YES.. How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa?..I never really had an issue.I always slept on the plane or bus rides

Are you a night owl or a lark?...No night owl.I like to go early to bed and wake up with the birds

Today in History
- America's first non-denominational college is chartered. Blount College later becomes the University of Tennessee.
1813 - The first defeat of British naval squadron occurs in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. The leader of the U.S. fleet sends the famous message "We have met the enemy, and they are ours" to U.S. General William Henry Harrison.
1846 - Elias Howe receives a patent for his sewing machine.
1847 - The first theater opens in Hawaii.
1897 - British police arrest George Smith for drunken driving. It is the first DWI.
1899 - A second quake in seven days hits Yakutat Bay, AK. It measures 8.6.
1913 - The Lincoln Highway opens. It is the first paved coast-to-coast highway in the U.S.
1919 - New York City welcomes home 25,000 soldiers and General John J. Pershing, who had served in the First Division during World War I.
1921 - The Ayus Autobahn in Germany opens near Berlin. The road is known for its nonexistent speed limit.
1923 - The Irish Free State joins the League of Nations.
1926 - Germany joins the League of Nations.
1935 – Louisiana Senator and former governor Huey “Catfish” Long is assassinated by the son-in-law of a political enemy, who is then shot to death by Long’s bodyguards.
1939 - Canada declares war on Germany.
1940 - In Britain, Buckingham Palace is hit by German bomb.
1942 - U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt mandates gasoline rationing as part of the U.S. wartime effort.
1943 - German forces begin their occupation of Rome during World War II.
1948 - "Axis Sally" (Mildred Gillars) is indicted for treason in Washington, D.C. Gillars was a Nazi radio propagandist during World War II. She was convicted and spent 12 years in prison.
1953 - Swanson begins selling its first "TV dinner."
1955 - "Gunsmoke" premieres on CBS.
1955 - Bert Parks begins a 25-year career as host of the "Miss America Pageant" on NBC.
1956 - Great Britain performs a nuclear test at Maralinga, Australia.
1961 - Mickey Mantle ties a major league baseball record for home runs when he hits the 400th of his career.
1963 - Twenty black students enter public schools in Alabama at the end of a standoff between federal authorities and Alabama governor George C. Wallace.
1979 - U.S. President Carter grants clemency to four Puerto Rican nationalists who had been imprisoned for an attack on the U.S. House of Representatives in 1954 and an attempted assassination of U.S. President Truman in 1950.
1981 - Pablo Picasso's mural “Guernica” is received in the town of Guernica.
1984 - The Federal Communications Commission changes a rule to allow broadcasters to own 12 AM and 12 FM radio stations. The previous limit was 7 of each.
1989 - Hungary gives permission to thousands of East German refugees and visitors to immigrate to West Germany.
1990 - Iran agrees to resume full diplomatic ties with past enemy Iraq.
1990 - Iraq's Saddam Hussein offers free oil to developing nations in an attempt to win their support during the Gulf War Crisis.
1992 - In Minneapolis, MN, a federal jury strikes down professional football's limited free agency system.
1998 - U.S. President Clinton meets with members of his Cabinet to apologize, ask forgiveness and promise to improve as a person in the wake of the scandal involving Monica Lewinsky..
2002 - Florida tests its new elections system. The test results in polling stations opening late and problems occurring with the touch screen voting machines.
2002 - The "September 11: Bearing Witness to History" exhibit opens at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.
2002 - Switzerland becomes the 190th member of the United Nations.

Word of the Day:
quo·tid·i·an /kwōˈtidēən/ adjective

1. of or occurring every day; daily.
"The car sped noisily off through the quotidian traffic"
2. ordinary or everyday, especially when mundane.
"His story is an achingly human one, mired in quotidian details"

Quote of the Day:
“The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”
- Charles Kuralt

Today is:
National Swap Ideas Day
National TV Dinner Day
National Pet Memorial Day
National Grandparents’ Day
THANK YOU Bayarea

Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories.

They are all gone now.
I was very close to them...on both sides. (Except my Mothers Father was killed in an automobile accident when
she was three.) My Grandma on my Mom's side was widowed when she was 21 years old, and she had a three
year old daughter and a one year old son to raise. She came from the Country from an itty bitty town, but boy she
was a fantastic cook...I lived with her for a brief period, at times she was more like a Mother than a Grandmother.

On my Dads side, My Grandpa was a dairy farmer, in later years they sold the business and he was
a Truck Driver, he was very active in local Political support groups, the Knights of Columbus and in his Church. My
Grandma "Nonnie" we called her came to America from Germany when she was only nineteen years old. She couldn't speak a word of English, but enrolled in night classes (that's where she met my Grandfather - he had enrolled in night class taking a class on electrical work - not because he wanted to be an electrician but because he
had bought land in Louisville and was planning on building his own home.) She was wonderful, full of neat stories
and cooked some amazing German dishes, she ended up having nineteen Grandchildren in the end.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you?

I don't know anyone affected by this batch of hurricanes.
When my Dad was in the Coast Guard, we lived in Miami....when I was in the first Grade a Hurricane was headed our way, so my Mom pulled me out of school, bought us plane tickets back home to Kentucky - that is when I went
to live with my Grandmother for awhile - my Dad only had a few more months to serve in the Coast Guard, so my
Mom just stayed in Louisville. I have lived in places that have had tornadoes - but none ever really came directly to where I was....I remember Louisville had a tornado that came through in 1974 I think it was....and I saw the destruction aftermath...it was awful, but it didn't hit our area thank goodness.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them?

Omg...I would have to write a book, I am a big animals lover and have always had pets...and I loved them dearly.
Rest in peace Felicity, Shadow, Princess, Sugar Bear, BB, Charlie, Snowflake and Tiger.
I miss them...they were all characters...one of a kind, and they all brought me so much joy.
I actually think I like animals more than some people.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa?

I had a job for awhile where I worked swing shift - that was difficult to get use to. I actually enjoyed third shift the most, but most of my jobs have been day shift (and I hate get up that early!)

Are you a night owl or a lark? Night Owl at heart.
Lark by necessity!

Old 09-10-2017, 05:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories. I only knew my maternal grandmother. She was a sparky old lady. My other grandparents passed before I was born.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you? SOme minor gas outages, lines, etc. That appears to be over with. No gasoline shortages.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them? I miss my Cavalier King CHarles spaniel Mattie. She lived until she was 15! She was my best buddy and sidekick when I was single. When I married my husband, she decided she liked him (or the peanut M&Ms) better than me. Hardest thing I've ever done was have to put her down. DOn't get me started....

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa? No

Are you a night owl or a lark? 100% night owl

Today in History
- America's first non-denominational college is chartered. Blount College later becomes the University of Tennessee.
1813 - The first defeat of British naval squadron occurs in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. The leader of the U.S. fleet sends the famous message "We have met the enemy, and they are ours" to U.S. General William Henry Harrison.
1846 - Elias Howe receives a patent for his sewing machine.
1847 - The first theater opens in Hawaii.
1897 - British police arrest George Smith for drunken driving. It is the first DWI.
1899 - A second quake in seven days hits Yakutat Bay, AK. It measures 8.6.
1913 - The Lincoln Highway opens. It is the first paved coast-to-coast highway in the U.S.
1919 - New York City welcomes home 25,000 soldiers and General John J. Pershing, who had served in the First Division during World War I.
1921 - The Ayus Autobahn in Germany opens near Berlin. The road is known for its nonexistent speed limit.
1923 - The Irish Free State joins the League of Nations.
1926 - Germany joins the League of Nations.
1935 – Louisiana Senator and former governor Huey “Catfish” Long is assassinated by the son-in-law of a political enemy, who is then shot to death by Long’s bodyguards.
1939 - Canada declares war on Germany.
1940 - In Britain, Buckingham Palace is hit by German bomb.
1942 - U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt mandates gasoline rationing as part of the U.S. wartime effort.
1943 - German forces begin their occupation of Rome during World War II.
1948 - "Axis Sally" (Mildred Gillars) is indicted for treason in Washington, D.C. Gillars was a Nazi radio propagandist during World War II. She was convicted and spent 12 years in prison.
1953 - Swanson begins selling its first "TV dinner."
1955 - "Gunsmoke" premieres on CBS.
1955 - Bert Parks begins a 25-year career as host of the "Miss America Pageant" on NBC.
1956 - Great Britain performs a nuclear test at Maralinga, Australia.
1961 - Mickey Mantle ties a major league baseball record for home runs when he hits the 400th of his career.
1963 - Twenty black students enter public schools in Alabama at the end of a standoff between federal authorities and Alabama governor George C. Wallace.
1979 - U.S. President Carter grants clemency to four Puerto Rican nationalists who had been imprisoned for an attack on the U.S. House of Representatives in 1954 and an attempted assassination of U.S. President Truman in 1950.
1981 - Pablo Picasso's mural “Guernica” is received in the town of Guernica.
1984 - The Federal Communications Commission changes a rule to allow broadcasters to own 12 AM and 12 FM radio stations. The previous limit was 7 of each.
1989 - Hungary gives permission to thousands of East German refugees and visitors to immigrate to West Germany.
1990 - Iran agrees to resume full diplomatic ties with past enemy Iraq.
1990 - Iraq's Saddam Hussein offers free oil to developing nations in an attempt to win their support during the Gulf War Crisis.
1992 - In Minneapolis, MN, a federal jury strikes down professional football's limited free agency system.
1998 - U.S. President Clinton meets with members of his Cabinet to apologize, ask forgiveness and promise to improve as a person in the wake of the scandal involving Monica Lewinsky..
2002 - Florida tests its new elections system. The test results in polling stations opening late and problems occurring with the touch screen voting machines.
2002 - The "September 11: Bearing Witness to History" exhibit opens at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.
2002 - Switzerland becomes the 190th member of the United Nations.

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”
- Charles Kuralt

Today is:
National Swap Ideas Day
National TV Dinner Day
National Grandparents’ Day[/quote]

Old 09-10-2017, 06:23 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories.
All my grandparents are long gone, but I knew three of the four (one grandfather died when I was six, and I have no conscious memories of him). My maternal grandmother was a formidable woman. She raised eight kids nearly single-handedly and made quilts with hand-embroidered squares for each of her grandchildren. All the quilts had different themes, such as trees, flowers or animals. (Mine was birds.) My paternal grandfather, whom I adored, was a veteran of the Spanish American War. I remember that one of his favorite expressions was, "Well, I declare!" He also let me cheat shamelessly at checkers. My paternal grandmother, a former schoolteacher, was the world's worst cook but she loved to play cards.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you?
I've never been in a hurricane, but I've been through several earthquakes including the Loma Prieta quake of 1989. I was at work when it happened. We were in the middle of a live newscast when suddenly the whole building started shaking and all the power went out. The director was so panicked, he unplugged his headset and ran out into the hallway. I remember looking up at the ceiling of the studio and seeing the light grid swaying back and forth.

We stayed on the air for three days straight, everyone working 12 hour shifts, and it was an ordeal. Fortunately nothing was damaged at our house, though our parakeets were jittery for days afterward.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them?
I have had four budgies (parakeets): Charlie (1972-1983); Petey (1983-1991); Polly (1984-1995) and Henry (1989-1997) They were all delightful. I loved their scratchy chatter and their comical antics, and I missed them all terribly when they died.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa?
Yes, I worked an early morning shift (5 am-1 pm), overnight shift (7 pm-3 am) and swing shift (3:30 pm-11:30 pm). I never could get used to the early shift, and the overnight shift was also a challenge. It was hard to have any kind of social life with hours like that. The swing shift agreed best with my body clock.
Are you a night owl or a lark?
Definitely a night owl. Even years after retirement, I still keep swing shift hours.

Thanks to everyone for your interesting answers and kind rep comments.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? My paternal grandparents both died before I was born. My maternal grandparents died 4 days apart in 1973.

Were you close to them? I was close with my maternal grandparents. They lived next door to us when I was growing up, so I saw them every day. If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? I'm terribly worried about several people I know who live in Florida. If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? I was nearly stranded in a flash flood in 2008. What was it like for you? Terrifying. I hope I never see anything like that again. I feared for my life, and it was nothing short of a miracle that I got out and made it home.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? Oh gosh. All this sad stuff today. I still grieve over the loss of my first cat, Toots. He died 16 years ago. What do you miss about them? He was a wonderful, lovable kitty who loved people and loved cuddling. Even though I have two cats now (sisters who are 16), I still miss Toots and always will. He was a little less than 9 when he died; way too young.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? Yes; for international travel on 3 occasions. How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa? I'm exhausted, but I don't let it curtail my activities. When I travel to Europe, I don't nap to catch up on sleep because I don't want to miss out on any fun!

Are you a night owl or a lark? Night owl, which is difficult since I have to get up early for work 5 days a week. I get my second wind late at 10 p.m. or so and often stay up much later than what I know is good for me. However, if I go to bed early I can't fall asleep. It's frustrating.

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
- Charles Kuralt

Today is:
National Swap Ideas Day
National TV Dinner Day Haha - no thanks, if you're talking about the little dinners that come in sectioned tin pans (or now paper/cardboard boxes) that taste like crap and are loaded with sodium. Yuck.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:17 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
--oops! I am a day late! Good Morning!

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Grandparents’ Day. If they are still living, what are your grandparents like? Were you close to them? If not, what do you remember about your grandparents? Feel free to share any memories. My grandmother on my father's side did not speak very much English. I do remember going to her house on Sundays and having a coke and potato chips. Sometimes she had baked a nice Lithuanian Raisin Bread-little mini ones for my sister and me.
My grandfather on my mother's side would come visit us every Saturday and have dinner with us. He always gave my sister and me a few dollars or sometimes a $10 bill. He would spend his Summers in Scotland. When he came back it would be like Mary Poppins suitcase, he would be telling my mother stories as my sister and I would wait patiently for the next present to come out of the suitcase. Always a couple of kilts, sweaters, little toys, bracelets, and always a few silver coins.

Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Jose have been much in the news this past week. Have you, your friends or family been affected by the hurricanes? If not, have you ever lived through a natural disaster? What was it like for you? I have cousins in Florida---so it has been a bit stressful, they did okay. My job is very affected when there is bad weather, a lot of rerouting of Customers and canceling flights. Where I live we are about 3.5 hours from the Ocean, we normally will get heavy rains after a hurricane. Hurricane Agnes caused a lot of damage many years ago, she took down a few bridges.

Today is also Pet Memorial Day. Please tell us about any animals in your life who have crossed the rainbow bridge. What were their names? What do you miss about them? My sweet Cairn Terrier. She was our family dog, she was sweet. She took care of us for 13 years and we took care of her for her last two years.

Have you ever had to change your body clock, as for shift work or international travel? How do you cope with being awake when the world is asleep, or vice-versa? International travel--I change my watch as soon as I get on the plane to begin to adjust my brain. I just had a three hour adjustment going to the West Coast, I do okay, I just try to trick my brain. Shift work--I start work around 4 in the morning or a bit after that. Which means I am getting up at 2am-2:30am. It is truly a life style having weird work hours.

Are you a night owl or a lark? I can adjust to be either. I prefer the lark.

Quote of the Day:
- Charles Kuralt

Today is:
National Swap Ideas Day
National TV Dinner Day

Hope you had a nice yesterday!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Grandmother was still alive for part of my life. She was wonderful and always made the grand kids flannel jammies or night gowns. she also made the best Lemon Meringue Pies and cookies. LOVED her house and actually almost bought one exactly like it many years ago. But it was just too far gone to make it worth the repairs needed to bring it back. Wonderful memories of my Memo.

Natural disaster was the flood if Jan 1, 1997 Weiser River in Cambridge, Idaho. I think it still shows up in Google searches. Lots of photos of destruction of our house and then repair photos. Just my husband and a couple of friends shown and myself jacked it back up and put it back together. Scroll to the right. Photos are a bit mixed up. We were trapped in the house for over 24 hours. Was the most terrifying night of my life hearing the house being ripped apart around us. the carport , front deck. Living room floor all came down or fell away. Never could figure how the house stayed standing. I had my cows up on the deck. We were hit so hard and fast we could not get them or us out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...in/dateposted/

The first five photos were after the flood repairs were done. If you keep clicking on the right side of the photo it gets into the damage.

The house was 60 foot back from the river. When the water breached the levee on the edge of the river it fell apart. Core of Engineers did come in and rebuild the levee as we were rebuilding our house. WE hauled in 500 yards of rock on our own just to be able to drive to the front of the house. It took a whole year to do the repairs . We moved back into the house after three months working on it through zero degree days. January winters in Idaho can be very cold. Usually our coldest month but it had rained for two weeks melting an abundance of snow that year. They were calling it the 100 year flood. We were determined. FEMA said the house was a total loss. We could not walk away it was paid for with all we had. Also lost the car down the river when the ground it was parked on went away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics