Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

I remember metal lunch boxes and getting a new one every year.

When microwaves came out and we got one and it was huge and the best thing ever and omg popcorn.

Going to the video store and renting vhs tapes and be kind, rewind. My sister got a beta max and it sucked.

When it was ok to stay out til dusk as a child and your parents weren't worried.

Being a remote control for my parents.

There were only tree tv stations.

We didn't lock our doors at night.

When grandmas looked like grandmas and they were....well grandmas!

You knew all your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Being a remote control for my parents.
I used to sit on the floor not far from the TV so that I could change the channel for dad. The good old days.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:54 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used to sit on the floor not far from the TV so that I could change the channel for dad. The good old days.
Reminds me of a meme I saw a few years ago......"Kids think they have it tough today. When I was a kid I had to wade through 12 feet of avocado green shag carpeting to change the TV channel."

Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Found it!!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
The remote channel changer

Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Reminds me of a meme I saw a few years ago......"Kids think they have it tough today. When I was a kid I had to wade through 12 feet of avocado green shag carpeting to change the TV channel."
Remember when it got snagged on your toes

Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
We were too poor to have shag carpeting. I'm serious.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
We were too poor to have shag carpeting. I'm serious.
We had hard wood floors.. carpet was to expensive.. and cheap Linoleum for the kitchen and bath.. that blue marble look..

Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Quote:
...When I was a kid I had to wade through 12 feet of avocado green shag carpeting to change the TV channel."
I want wired remotes to come back...remember them!

They always worked no matter where you were in the room.

With a WR, you:

Don't have to worry about the batteries slowly degrading, or the orbs having to be in correct alignment to have it work each and every time.

Don't have to slap it on your leg a few times to re-position the weakening batteries to get it to work.

Don't have to hold it in the air over your head and wave bye-bye with it each time you press a button.

Don't have to find the correct wall to bounce the signal off of, nor have to hold it over your feet if your you're watching in a reclined position.

Don't have to keep a slew of fresh batteries close at hand, so the half-used batteries can be replaced at a moments notice, and ultimately discarded in the trash, half-used.

Make the cord at least 50' long so it can reach anywhere in the average sized room.

I'd run it under the carpet, or through the floor, into and back out of the crawl space, and leave about 10' of slack, so not only it reaches and rests on the coffee table, but can also reach the other key couches or chairs in the room as well.

Bonus...no more having to walk around the room, carpeted or not, to find the occasional missing remote.

Out of the 100 or more remotes/televisions I've dealt with, most top of the line, the best shot for wireless remote signals are those that have fresh AA batteries, not AAA.

Lucky are those whose sweet-spot for viewing the TV screen is the same SS for the remote!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
We had hard wood floors.. carpet was to expensive.. and cheap Linoleum for the kitchen and bath.. that blue marble look..
Yep. Linoleum in the kitchen and bath... with the claw foot tub. The kitchen counter was lino with a nailed down metal edge. Right now I have granite and a gas stove. Heaven, I'm in heaven...

I'll be moving to formica and electric in a few months. Damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics