Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times

Advertisements

When they didn't have cereal and milk at least at our house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
I was just reading an issue of "Reminisce" magazine, and on the back of it, it showed an old picture of a mother and daughter at a shoe store where the clerk actually fits the girl's foot as he sits in front of her and the caption reminds us in detail of the service we used to get when shoe shopping.
I remember those days well. Whatever happened to that, anyway? The last bastion of that type of service I've ever seen was Al Bundy at work on "Married With Children". I think it vanished so gradually that I never even noticed until it was too late. Try buying shoes at the mall nowadays - you're on your own until it's time for the clerk to ring up your purchase. No wonder I don't like shopping as much as I used to.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 AM

I also remember the days of full-service gas stations. I was still a kid, so I never got to experience it personally. They'd take the dipstick and check your oil and tire pressure, wash the windshield, pump the gas, and you never had to get out of the car...*sigh*

Also, I remember when motel rooms (at the Holliday Inn, at least) were squeaky clean...it smelled like bleach. Nice bleach-smelling sheets and towels...even the bedspread and blankets smelled fresh. And the toilet seat had a strip of paper around it that said "Sanitized for your protection". And the Holliday Inns had those beautiful festive signs...ah, the good old days!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember when cars didn’t have turn signals.
That might help explain why the elderly drivers in my area never bother signaling.

Quote:
I remember when honesty was a value that political and corporate business people had.
Really? And it wasn't just an act? I need me a time machine!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
I remember in the early 60s steam trains going over a bridge at the top of my grand
mothers street. The guy who loaded the coal into the furness used to wave to me.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
I remember feeding a carrot to the milkman's horse as he was delivering the milk on our street. This was in downtown Toronto. The breadman also had a horse but he was the first to change to a truck.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
I remember the 5 and dime stores that had their merchandise laid out on flat, table top type counters and none of it was in packaging--it was just neatly arranged on the counters.

I had my feet in the shoe store fluoroscope machines countless times when being fitted for shoes, not to mention measured by the shoe salesman, who would then bring out half a dozen pairs of shoes for me to try on. And the shoe boxes were sturdy enough to mail a package in. Those poor shoe salesmen covered a lot of ground going back and forth to bring out a fresh load of shoes if you didn't like what they brought out the first time. And then they had to put it all away after you left.

Little girls wore DRESSES almost all the time, often even in summer for play time wear. BRRRRRRR was that cold when walking to school in the wintertime and that cold air went up your body even though you were wearing a coat, a cap and mittens.

I frequently see portable typewriters at auctions. And sometimes an old dial telephone (which are very collectible to some people.)

Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Do teachers still make dittos like they did back when I was in school? They'd leave the classroom for a short spell and come back in with the stack of dittos, hand them out, and many of my classmates would sniff the purplish-blue ink.

Also, I had one teacher who quit because she got married. That was normal back then.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I remember when the opening to put gas in was under your back license plate often. I also remember when many gas stations would give you free antennea toppers, like Union 76' and their orange ball. Gas stations use to also give away free maps.
Yes! The free maps. Also, if you needed to ask for directions, they were helpful...not like nowadays, where they act like you're interrupting them, or maybe sometimes you get someone who doesn't speak good English.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
I remember when all young boys wore short pants. I was 12 years old before I got my
first pair of long ones. It kept young lads in line - stopped you literally getting too big for
your britches!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics