Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
At one time antibiotics were given mainly by intramuscular injection, usually into the butt--and they left big, sore nodules for several days. Nowadays, it's more likely to be given by mouth or (if you are hospitalized) intravenous drips.
remember those big, round scars that everyone used to have on their bicep from immunizations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
remember those big, round scars that everyone used to have on their bicep from immunizations?

Yes, I remember those. If memory serves, it was from the polio vaccine. I was one of the lucky ones. Mine was barely visible.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
My wife told me when she was a little girl, any chest problems were solved with lots of
goose grease spread on the chest area, then covered with a sheet of brown paper!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I remember being a latchkey kid before there was a word for it and not knowing anyone else whose parents were divorced.
I remember as a kid, my mother considered "divorce" a dirty word. I'd get scolded for saying it. (Ironically, my parents later divorced ). "Hate", "darn", "shoot", "shucks" and "heck" were also considered mildly bad words...short of getting my mouth washed out with soap.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm so old, I remember our first microwave.

I remember TV without a VCR or remote control.

I remember Pong and Atari.

I remember the Flip Wilson show and the Sonny and Cher show.

I remember when Disney was only on Sunday night at 7pm.

I remember when Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons were in prime time.

The first president I remember is Nixon and Watergate.

I remember when my favorite music was The Best of Bread on 8 track.

I remember Esso gas stations.
We must be around the same age.....but ours was a "radar range", not a microwave.

The Saturday morning cartoons were much better then too.

A 25" TV was HUGE!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, I remember those. If memory serves, it was from the polio vaccine. I was one of the lucky ones. Mine was barely visible.
Mine is on my left shoulder, still very visible.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Those were smallpox vaccinations. Mine is still faintly visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I remember as a kid, my mother considered "divorce" a dirty word. I'd get scolded for saying it. (Ironically, my parents later divorced ). "Hate", "darn", "shoot", "shucks" and "heck" were also considered mildly bad words...short of getting my mouth washed out with soap.

I remember those days, too. A divorced woman was only a few notches above a ****. Ditto a woman who smoked or who bleached her hair. This was in the 1930's.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Those were smallpox vaccinations. Mine is still faintly visible.

I remember those days, too. A divorced woman was only a few notches above a ****. Ditto a woman who smoked or who bleached her hair. This was in the 1930's.
Lots of women around my neck of the woods would've been in trouble in the 30s, it seems.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Lots of women around my neck of the woods would've been in trouble in the 30s, it seems.

In the 1930's Bible Belt, "nice" women didn't smoke or bleach their hair.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM

I remember when you could just open up a container of food or medicine as soon as you got it home from the store. This was shortly before the whole cyanide poisoning incedent of the early 80's. That changed everything. Now, you have to open the box, take the container out, remove the plastic wrapper from it, then open the child-proof cap, then remove the foil from inside the lid, then remove a big cotton wad from it. But not for allergy meds anymore...thanks to the meth cooks, we now have to remove them one by one from an annoying blister pack instead of taking them out from a bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics