Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I remember in elementary school we used inkwells set in a hole in the desk and the inkwell pens for doing our paperwork.
...........Oh!!......do I remember those Ink Wells .

In about 4th grade I had "Miss Prissy" who sat right in front of me...she knew everything...always was the first to raise her hand etc,etc......AND, she had "Pig Tails" that came down to her waist...

Well, one day I just couldn't stand it any more................so about one minute before we were excused for summer vacation.............I very gently "dipped" her right pig tail in the ink well (she was always "flipping them" behing her shoulders, so it was no problem getting hold of that one).

I went all through grade school and high school with this girl, and two years ago at our 60th High School Reunion, I apologized to her.............boy was she surprised ....................Yeah, (68) years had passed....and she still remembered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,553,639 times
I remember when the milkman, bread man, paper man, delivered to your door and the Insurance came to your house to collect.

I can remember when there was hardy any traffic.

I can remember when my mother sent to the store for a pack of cigarettes they cost .32 cents a pack.

I remember when you called your neighbors Mr. or Mrs.

I remember the thick ruler the principal had in his office.

I remember The Little Rascals, Dennis The Menace & Leave It to Beaver.

I remember catching fireflies in a jar, putting holes on the top and watching them light up.

I remember being only able to get gas depending on the last number of your license plate.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
An elderly neighbor I shop for had "writing tablet" on her shopping list for me recently. She wanted some suitable paper for writing notes and letters to people. I used to purchase these for myself; they were pads of writing paper
and the paper had a nice, onion textured finish. I looked all over for one of these writing pads and could not find one, not even in the office supply stores. I found boxed stationery at Hallmark--and pricey, it is, too--but not tablets of writing paper. I ended up getting a box of stationery for her at the thrift store.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM

When a single roll of toilet paper was the size of today's "double" roll.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,924,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
An elderly neighbor I shop for had "writing tablet" on her shopping list for me recently. She wanted some suitable paper for writing notes and letters to people. I used to purchase these for myself; they were pads of writing paper
and the paper had a nice, onion textured finish. I looked all over for one of these writing pads and could not find one, not even in the office supply stores. I found boxed stationery at Hallmark--and pricey, it is, too--but not tablets of writing paper. I ended up getting a box of stationery for her at the thrift store.
that was very nice of you to go to the trouble to do that for her- she's lucky to have you for a neighbor.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
I got this in an email the other day and I think it fits in this thread. See how many of these you know without scrolling down to the answers. I knew all of them!

01.After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.
02.When the Beatles first came to the U.S. .In early 1964, we all watched them on The _______________ Show.
03'Get your kicks, __________________.'
04.'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to ___________________.'
05.'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________.'
06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____________.' 07.Nestle's makes the very best . .. . . _________ ______.'
08..Satchmo was America 's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _________________.
09.What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______________.

10. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________.. '
11.Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their______________.
12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ____________ &_______________.
13.In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to ___________________.
14..We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called ___________________.
15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the __ ______________.

ANSWERS :
01..The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
02.The Ed Sullivan Show
03..On Route 66
04..To protect the innocent.
05.The Lion Sleeps Tonight
06.The limbo
07.Chocolate
08..Louis Armstrong
09.The Timex watch
10..Freddy, The Freeloader and 'Good Night and God Bless.'
11.Draft cards (Bras were also burned. Not flags, as some have guessed)
12.Beetle or Bug
13.Buddy Holly
14.Sputnik
15.Hoola-hoop

Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Just got home from an auction and one of the items was a large box of paper towels that had been purchased many years ago. I was almost shocked that the diameter of those rolls of towels was about 8 inches. I had forgotten that we used to be able to buy rolls of paper towels that were so thick.

Also in the auction was a box of recent vintage Revere Ware copper bottom pots. Those pots had maybe 2/3 the amount of metal per pot that my Revere Ware does. I got mine as a wedding present in 1958.

Two more illustrations of how manufacturers slowly, over time, reduce the amount of raw materials that go into a product.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,088 times
I'm so old I remember a machine called "mimeograph". It used blue ink. The ink smelled good. We made copies in college from this machine. I used to be a secretary at my college through their "work-study" program and had to use this machine to copy exams. The machine had a handle and I turned the thing round and round for fresh copies.
That's the best I can describe it. It was fun, really.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,140,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'm so old I remember a machine called "mimeograph". It used blue ink. The ink smelled good. We made copies in college from this machine. I used to be a secretary at my college through their "work-study" program and had to use this machine to copy exams. The machine had a handle and I turned the thing round and round for fresh copies.
That's the best I can describe it. It was fun, really.
When we had a mimeographed test at school, the first thing we did when we got our copy was pick it up and smell it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM

I worked on the school newspaper and I remember the mimeograph machines and how good the ink smelled. I have always liked the smell of gasoline, too, but for whatever reason, it doesn't smell as good today as it did 65 years ago. Maybe today's additives??? Or else my sense of smell has changed.

I remember "Evening In Paris" perfume, too. Every now and then some of the old cobalt blue bottles show up at auctions. They are highly collectible and always bring a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics