Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times

Advertisements

The saw "The Way We Were", but it was so long ago that I didn't remember her smoking and drinking, that is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
There was an ongoing competition for bragging rights among the coaches and a math teacher in Jr High. Who could build the scariest looking and most brutal paddle. I got to test a few.
I got 5 swats for chewing gum in class. This was in 1970-71 in a small town school. It hurt, but I was so mad and embarrassed I refused to show any pain.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
I remember when fishing line was not transparent. When the stuff was made out of black and green cotton...funny - I just thought of that this morning for some strange reason. I was thinking about how I used to fish as a kid. I would walk across the field to the lake...on the way I would look for leopard frogs...young ones I would swat with a willow stick...Then I would get to the little lake that was full of bass and pike - put a frog on a cotton hand line and toss it into the drop off.

I remember it clearly - It was fall and the water was silvery. So was this huge bass that I hauled in by hand...it was a great way to fish- You could feel the fish take the hook and the fight they put up ...It was great...Looking back - it was a wonderful childhood spent very close to nature.

I am so old I remember when the environment was called nature.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I remember when fishing line was not transparent. When the stuff was made out of black and green cotton...funny - I just thought of that this morning for some strange reason. I was thinking about how I used to fish as a kid. I would walk across the field to the lake...on the way I would look for leopard frogs...young ones I would swat with a willow stick...Then I would get to the little lake that was full of bass and pike - put a frog on a cotton hand line and toss it into the drop off.

I remember it clearly - It was fall and the water was silvery. So was this huge bass that I hauled in by hand...it was a great way to fish- You could feel the fish take the hook and the fight they put up ...It was great...Looking back - it was a wonderful childhood spent very close to nature.

Another traveler from the land of antiquity.

You brought back some nice memories. I was probably about 16 years old before I had a "store bought" fishing pole. But the memories of using a hardline and fishing line that looked more like gift wrapping ribbon instead of today's "invisible" line is a very warm Memory.

In today's world a sad fact is: some of today's kids reading your story, would ask "What's a frog?"

I too remember when nature was "Natural".

I wonder when somebody is going to figure out how to put an "On-Off" switch on Niagara falls. so every tourist can have the exact same view.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
I remember fishing with real worms that weren't made of crude oil.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I remember seeing that type of stuff in movies but for companies to actually put those kinds of things in print is kind of shocking to me.

Satx no way you had to get school by the board of education not you.
I was shy after elementary and usually got pulled into stuff by trouble makers. Same as here in CD!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

Oleg, did your bass taste like leopard frog?

I'm old enough to remember when girls had to wear dresses to school and boys were not allowed to wear blue jeans or t-shirts.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I got 5 swats for chewing gum in class. This was in 1970-71 in a small town school. It hurt, but I was so mad and embarrassed I refused to show any pain.
I hear ya'! We usually did more to earn ours! Guess the town wasn't small enough. That or they were just mean.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Probably that Texas heat, SATX. That'll make anyone mean.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Probably that Texas heat, SATX. That'll make anyone mean.
Probably so! They enjoyed spanking bare butts coming from the showers. Pretty sadistic coaches. What were they thinking ...showers at school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics